• ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    If I’m not mistaken, the omega trigger system is not meant to be carried cocked and locked, is it?
    I was looking forward to trying the safety mode, but the book says not one in the pipe, the safety is only for range management, short term use type of thing.
    At least that was my take on what I read.
    I’m pretty sure we talked about that and that talk got me thinking I should switch it back to decocker (and reasons mentioned in this thread). And I haven’t got that holster for it yet so it’s not in my carry rotation yet.
    I also just don’t like the Omega safety. It’s small and easy to fumble. It will get swapped back to decocker before I carry it.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I also just don’t like the Omega safety. It’s small and easy to fumble. It will get swapped back to decocker before I carry it.
    Same, although I just looked at it, read about it and never put it in.
    ETA it’s become my go-to carry gun.
    The PCR I just picked up will compete with that next after getting some work done.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    When I was in the USAF we transitioned from S&W Model 15 revolvers (which we carried loaded) to the Beretta M9 that after chambering a round with safety on (so the hammer followed the slide ) then flipped to fire and holstered (the way the USAF dictated unless you were a pilot) tha was so the first shot was like our DA Revolvers then of course the lighter pull. We for very proficient at de cocking and flipping back to fire while holstering.

When I started my civilian Police adventure I went with a SIG 220 the. Was issued a SIG 228 in Federal service and have a fondness for DA/SA Hammer fired with de cockers ever since.

As far as the Feds we did train to de cock after engagement and we moved it really wasn’t a big deal.

I will say one other design I like just as much if not better is HK with the LEM trigger. It’s a 5 pound but has the travel of a DA trigger without the weight. And after that first shot it works like a SAnthe hammer is cocked. It automatically de cocks when you release the trigger. Not only is it a great agency Gun it’s a great gun for proficient shooters too!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    IMHO, the decocker equipped pistol is the safest choice for new shooters. Heck, old shooters too. The P229 in 9mm is a pretty darn good choice for a first carry gun. If price and/or weight is an issue, then the CZ P07 with the decocker installed is a solid choice too. BBI did a good job explaining the whys of it.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    IMHO, the decocker equipped pistol is the safest choice for new shooters. Heck, old shooters too. The P229 in 9mm is a pretty darn good choice for a first carry gun. If price and/or weight is an issue, then the CZ P07 with the decocker installed is a solid choice too. BBI did a good job explaining the whys of it.
    One thing overlooked is Sigs economy Polymer framed de cocker series the SP 2022. One of the most overlooked and underrated handguns. And you can find them for around 400 bucks

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI

I was going to reply something very similar. It was more of a mental hurdle for me to get over when I first started carrying. I just didn’t feel comfortable early on with the relatively light trigger pulls of guns without safeties compared to the DA/SA options available at the time. (P225 and Ruger P89DC if I remember correctly)

That initial heavy pull just made me feel more comfortable carrying guns without a manual safety until I practiced and learned more.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I was going to reply something very similar. It was more of a mental hurdle for me to get over when I first started carrying. I just didn’t feel comfortable early on with the relatively light trigger pulls of guns without safeties compared to the DA/SA options available at the time. (P225 and Ruger P89DC if I remember correctly)

That initial heavy pull just made me feel more comfortable carrying guns without a manual safety until I practiced and learned more.
    To be honest the safety is between your ears.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    So very true...and if that grey matter thingy isn't working correctly, other issues are soon to follow.
    Which is another reason why I prefer revolvers...
    For defensive purposes, I can fire them in DAO mode...accurately too, at defensive distances.
    For hunting or target shooting, I can shoot them in SA mode for increased accuracy at farther distances.
    And no one complains about them not having a safety or decocker lever...
    With whatever one chooses, practice consistently, and remember to be safe first...
    Situational Awareness...keep your head on a swivel and be aware of what's going on around you in a 50' 'bubble' so as to be able to identify potential and actual 'threats' so one can begin to take action quickly to a) simply avoid the conflict to begin with (if at all possible) or b) begin to take measures to egress the immediate area, seek shelter, or defend one's self.
    The best gunfight to win is the one you never get into in the first place...

Last edited:

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    That’s why I said it was a mental hurdle to get over, and it took more education, familiarity and comfort before switching over to more “standard” designs (i.e. Glock style trigger).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Safety is a scale, not a binary condition. Obviously the user's training, ability to make good decisions under stress, etc. are the primary factor. That doesn't mean hardware doesn't play a role. If you're perfect and will always be perfect in your mental execution, you can carry a 1/3 lb trigger with 1mm pull and point it at your dick all day with no repercussions. I won't AIWB without a hammer or a SCD, personally. Can I still shoot myself in the dick? Yup. But now I have to make even more mistakes in a row, plus I have tactile feedback that may trigger my subconscious mind that trouble is brewing even if my conscious mind is way too occupied to notice.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    That’s why I said it was a mental hurdle to get over, and it took more education, familiarity and comfort before switching over to more “standard” designs (i.e. Glock style trigger).
    Really can not comment on %***** style triggers, do not cary one , nor I find them to be a good platform for myself. At the end of the day training training, and more training and following rules for safe handling will keep most everyone from having a problem.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Had a chance to pick up a slightly used P226(9mm), and love the decock action. Had older 3 Gen Smith's , but sold out for Glocks. Agree about user safety with P226,229, 220's, and others.
    I've never looked back to carry the Sig226.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I take this as possible advice to do a G mod on my 92 FS?

I do practice with the 92 to make sure my thumb is in the right place at the saftey when I grab it in case it’s been turned off. but that is not under duress so I see your point about one less thing to have to “think“ about.
    I can't attest for others, but after a few shooting matches, I converted my older 92F to a G (Decocker only) with the newer conversion kit Beretta Offers.....

Although after many reps I could get used to the odd safety (up instead of down), what I could not seem to get past was accidently flipping the safety on while racking the slide. That is what pushed me to install the Decocker conversion kit.

And I LOVE it. Even if I hit the Decocker while cycling the slide, the worst case scenario is my first shot afterward is in double action instead of single action. But at least I don't have dead trigger because the safety is on.

IMHO, this is the best setup for double action semi autos......Beretta, CZ, Smith or the like.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I can't attest for others, but after a few shooting matches, I converted my older 92F to a G (Decocker only) with the newer conversion kit Beretta Offers.....

Although after many reps I could get used to the odd safety (up instead of down), what I could not seem to get past was accidently flipping the safety on while racking the slide. That is what pushed me to install the Decocker conversion kit.

And I LOVE it. Even if I hit the Decocker while cycling the slide, the worst case scenario is my first shot afterward is in double action instead of single action. But at least I don't have dead trigger because the safety is on.

IMHO, this is the best setup for double action semi autos......Beretta, CZ, Smith or the like.
    I was at a conference back in the early 1990’s and a LA County Sheriffs Deputy was there. We got to chatting and comparing SOP’s. The USAF (my branch) carried like LAPD, round chambered hammer forward but Beretta on fire. LASD however carried their 92’s on safe however when drawing swept their thumb down line you would with a 1911 safety. There actually is a soring within the safety/decock lever so it takes little effort and works.

They did that as a weapons retention thing and it worked for them.

SmokingTrigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    Hancock County
    I do not like thumb safeties at all. They are acceptable on 1911's only. When in a high stress situation your fine motor skills need to be sharp. Thumb safeties are easy to miss and your gun won't fire unless you disengage the safety. DA trigger is acceptable if you train with it. I always find myself pulling that shot so I do not carry DA/SA guns.

Top Bottom