• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should we declaw our housecat?

• Total voters
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Holy crap! I actually hope alcohol WAS involved, because if he was sober, that's a whole 'nother kind of crazy!

Oh yes, and some Maryjane too. That guy moved back to Kentucky after the divorce. I miss that guy. The neighborhood is just a bit quieter now but just a bit lifeless also. Crazy can be very entertaining just as long as you're not in the line of fire.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I have had cats all my life, never had any of them de clawed. After a year or two the cats have always learned when to use their claws and when not to during play. I frequently play chase with my cat a 20 lb. male with claws and he frequently bats and simulates taking me down, however he doesn't use his claws or teeth.

When they are young their claws are so small they don't really hurt, though they might a small child. Even then I've never had any issues when kids are around as every cat I've had is/ has been terrified of them.

Behavior problems sometimes cannot be rectified in cats, however I have noticed the house situation and how clean or cluttered it is, or a gazillion other things can effect a cats mood. When a cat is cranky, check food. Is it old, or stale? Check water, is it fresh? Litter box clean? It may sound silly but I've often found some cats are more picky than others about these things and can get cranky. Other times they are just cats and they get testy. Be firm, be consistent and you'll probably be fine and enjoy having the cat. MHO

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Any recommendations for discouraging mock aggression with claws and teeth?
    I just use bandaids if necessary (on me, not the cat :):) If she get too rough, I remind her that if she eats Papa, there will nobody to rub her head. That usually settles her down. :)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If we can get past the mock aggression stage, we should be alright...if I'm laying down in bed, the cat will jump up and rub it head on me, then start nipping at the nose and ears. I believe he's playing, but I want to discourage that.

Also, he scratched the hell out of my left shoulder when I was carrying him into the livingroom where our big screen is....needless to say, he doesn't like the big screen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    If we can get past the mock aggression stage, we should be alright...if I'm laying down in bed, the cat will jump up and rub it head on me, then start nipping at the nose and ears. I believe he's playing, but I want to discourage that.

Also, he scratched the hell out of my left shoulder when I was carrying him into the livingroom where our big screen is....needless to say, he doesn't like the big screen

All the blood just means the cat loves you. You should see me, I take aspirin every day subsequent to a stroke. My blood is so thin that after dealing with the cat I color the most part of a paper towel wiping blood off my arm.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    We have two cats. Both are fully armed. The furniture has a few battle scars on it from them but that it the casualties of having cats. Most pets have drawbacks, it's just something that comes with having one.

As mentioned upthread the process to declaw seems too barbaric. And another thing to think of is the full life of the cat. They may be an inside cat now but what about later? And what if there is another pet introduced? Cats have claws just as we have fully functioning hands/fists. :twocents:

ETA: You can find several cat diffusers and scratching furniture (and other pet items) at chewy.com at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    We have two cats. Both are fully armed. The furniture has a few battle scars on it from them but that it the casualties of having cats. Most pets have drawbacks, it's just something that comes with having one.

As mentioned upthread the process to declaw seems too barbaric. And another thing to think of is the full life of the cat. They may be an inside cat now but what about later? And what if there is another pet introduced? Cats have claws just as we have fully functioning hands/fists. :twocents:

There's two process that I have researched, one is cheaper and basically cut everything from the first knuckle, and the second is more expensive, and instead of cutting off the first knuckle, they remove the claws and the very small bone in front of the knuckle in which the claw grows...results in less pain and faster healing vs the first procedure mentioned above.

...knowing this, does your opinion change any?

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Had strictly indoor house cats all my life. All of them front declaw only. None of them ever changed behavior after the surgery, nor did it seem to effect their abilities. 1/2 Bengal could go from the floor to the top of the fridge and down no problem.
    I've had cats that I suppose "trained" better than others, but in general I have never really tried to train a cat to do anything. I don't run a circus. Call me lazy - fine. If I get a cat I expect a furry arrogant sometimes affectionate meow machine that annoys me when i'm trying to sleep or read the paper and wants my ice cream during the 10 o'clock news. Other than using the box, that's it. Yeah, I've had cat's that would fetch and do come cool stuff, but more by luck than anything. You are not going to change anyone's opinion that is anti-declaw but it's your decision. I don't expect anymore cats ever in my house unless my wife wants one. She took the last one passing pretty hard. But if I do - it's getting front declawed.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    WTF............when they are small their claws don't really hurt?
    Having kittens climb your legs when you're drying your hair after a shower aint exactly tickling.
    Those little b*astards loved to do that!
    We raised champion Himalayans..........never declawed.
    Reg house cat, declaw the fronts. They heal up quick and it only changes the amount of damage they can do.
    Way overthinking this stuff.

Your cat, do what you want.

And even then.............it's a cat. Not like there's a shortage of them.

Been around them on the farm, raised them, even have a couple as pets now. They love the crap out of me (dogs do too).
    I also have kids.

Am ready for a house with no pets or kids. Enough is enough.
    One cat is 18, the other 10, and the beast is 3. Have 2 strays hanging around outside. Nice cats too. They're staying out there, even if my old kitty kicks the bucket (suprised she made it through last yr).

Told the old lady if she wants that big orange stray (he's a sweetheart) she can have him after our Himi dies.
    But she and he have to live somewhere else.

Have cleaned way too many litterboxes in my life.

Mine are out in the garage, cats pass through kitty door. NFW I'd have a litterbox in my house.
    Cats that make messes or tear stuff up............not having it.

That TV show "Cat from Hell"...............people are beyond stupid.
    I'd hi brass 4 that POS and be done with the problem.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My only problems with my cats............oldest has demetia. She howls when she loses it, can be right by you and not know you are there.
    Middle one was super timid, now wants to talk and be with you..........cries for you to go to bed at night, just so she can hop up, see that you are there, then sleep at the foot of the bed. Weirdo. Literally "creature of habit". Was completely indifferent for yrs (never nasty)...........and then a light switch flicked, she's like a dog now affection wise.
    The youngest is 12# and has saber tooth tiger like fangs. She was wild when we got her, has since mellowed a bunch.
    The only grief she gives me...........and odd it isn't happening now............I'm in another chair on the laptop and she's not on my chest.

Love my pets, proly the oldest one my fave.
    Know what that means?

Yeah, I'd shoot her last.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    WTF............when they are small their claws don't really hurt?
    Having kittens climb your legs when you're drying your hair after a shower aint exactly tickling.
    Those little b*astards loved to do that!
    We raised champion Himalayans..........never declawed.
    Reg house cat, declaw the fronts. They heal up quick and it only changes the amount of damage they can do.
    Way overthinking this stuff.

Your cat, do what you want.

And even then.............it's a cat. Not like there's a shortage of them.

Been around them on the farm, raised them, even have a couple as pets now. They love the crap out of me (dogs do too).
    I also have kids.

Am ready for a house with no pets or kids. Enough is enough.
    One cat is 18, the other 10, and the beast is 3. Have 2 strays hanging around outside. Nice cats too. They're staying out there, even if my old kitty kicks the bucket (suprised she made it through last yr).

Told the old lady if she wants that big orange stray (he's a sweetheart) she can have him after our Himi dies.
    But she and he have to live somewhere else.

Have cleaned way too many litterboxes in my life.

Mine are out in the garage, cats pass through kitty door. NFW I'd have a litterbox in my house.
    Cats that make messes or tear stuff up............not having it.

That TV show "Cat from Hell"...............people are beyond stupid.
    I'd hi brass 4 that POS and be done with the problem.

In my opinion no their claws don't really hurt when their young, especially if your firm and consistent in punishment for unwanted behavior. They, in my experience, learn really quickly like within a couple weeks to not climb up my damn leg because that does not feel good but it doesn't cause any real damage either. Just a few scratches.

Oh that TV show, yeah idk I think its kind of funny, at least the pieces I've seen of it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Again - looked up if anyone's doing laser claw removal?

I have two indoor-only inbred wonder kitties. They've both been declawed - fronts only.

Why? Because they were beginning to tear up the window sill trim and furniture. Not by scratching, but by running and jumping and playing.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Again - looked up if anyone's doing laser claw removal?

I have two indoor-only inbred wonder kitties. They've both been declawed - fronts only.

Why? Because they were beginning to tear up the window sill trim and furniture. Not by scratching, but by running and jumping and playing.

That's what happens when you place a non domesticated animal in your home.
    Dogs are domesticated cats are not.. :stickpoke:

Top Bottom