• ...and so much more!
  • Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    A lot of these LGS had better start taking lessons on courtesy, people skills and customer service. All too often I’ve walked into these stores in numerous states and not even so much as received a Hello! when I walked in the door. This takes place even when there are little to no other people in the store. It’s just too easy to do my research and buy on line. No hassles, no poop. Yes there are transfer fees but it’s a small price to pay for not dealing with LGS employees who seemingly could care less about you as a customer. Sorry, my 2 cents.
    I am going to sing praises for Triple A in LaOtto one more time. The staff greets every customer and knows most people by their first name. They have the best inventory within 60 miles and their facility is first class. The indoor range there is unbelievably modern.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This may have already been posted... Downham and Sons in Logansport has closed. The sign read Dec 16th. I know Mary Downham had passed away around Thanksgiving.

End of a era. Sad. :(
    Dang, I hate to hear this. I had no idea.

That's where I grew up. Don't make it there very often anymore, but when I do I always enjoyed stopping in there.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A lot of these LGS had better start taking lessons on courtesy, people skills and customer service. All too often I’ve walked into these stores in numerous states and not even so much as received a Hello! when I walked in the door. This takes place even when there are little to no other people in the store. It’s just too easy to do my research and buy on line. No hassles, no poop. Yes there are transfer fees but it’s a small price to pay for not dealing with LGS employees who seemingly could care less about you as a customer. Sorry, my 2 cents.
    It all starts with the owners/ managers. Some don't exactly treat their employees as assets.

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    Im spoiled. Between Bradis and USDS I always get GREAT service.

Do your best to support your LGS, event if its a little higher. For starters, the LGS will follow the law and release your gun after 3 days after a delay with no follow up. I dont know of a single big box store that will release a firearm without an explicit "proceed". Hell, I remember talking to the guy at Dicks* as they walked me to the register and we were discussing that issue. He had one guy that would always get a delay and never a follow up. Guy spent 45 days trying to get a gun but could never get a "proceed" so he never got it. He finally gave up. And thinking back to a RK story, a LGS isnt going to make you buy a lockable hard case before they allow you to take it to your car. (they allowed him to come back in immediately and return the case and lock, but still)

The one thing I didnt like about a LGS is purchasing power. I called USDS to see if they could special order a rifle for me. "yep. We can get it, the distributor has one. Come on in." So I did, cash in hand. Unfortunately the first guy didnt notice the gun was in "allocation." Apparently that meant that the distributor had one, but it was being held for so many weeks for a big box store in case they wanted it. Eventually it would come off allocation but they couldnt tell me when. So I gave up.

*I was only buying the 10/22 from them because it was a black friday loss leader. I enjoyed buying the gun below cost and not adding any accessories. LOL

I got an expungement and I got a permit, NFA items. I can buy guns at LGS, big box, shows, auctions, online. 4473 goes really fast often before I even know they hit submit.

Rural King won’t sell me a firearm. They pre-screen the 4473, see I had a denial once, and deny me altogether. They tell me FBI denied me when they never even submitted to NCIC.

I had the felony reduced to a misdemeanor a long time ago and was legal when I got that denial. I hadn’t made an effort to have ISP update the records and they hadn’t. I gave up for several years until I got it expunged. Then I contacted ISP and got the records updated.

Rural King doesn’t care. Denied once, denied forever. I won’t buy guns at big box stores now because I believe they all have a pre-screen and are doing weird things with 4473 data. Retaining it in multiple places. I know retaining it is required but they are actually using it and retaining it in multiple systems. Good way to get it stolen.

I only do shows, auctions, and LGS. LGS isn’t always rainbows and sunshine but at least theres no strange data retention and potential exposure. I frequent FFLs that use paper forms and avoid the computer form places.

MongooseLaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2019
    Albion
    Precision Firearms is always a cool store, didn't realize they still had milsurp rifles available after Phil/Pieces of History stopped setting up in there.

Triple A is great, very nice people, I picked up a Beretta 92A1 from them, very fairly priced even compared to online.

My favorite local store closed last year, $25 transfers, friendly owner, interesting inventory of new and used...A&G Supply in Kendallville :tantrum:

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Precision Firearms is always a cool store, didn't realize they still had milsurp rifles available after Phil/Pieces of History stopped setting up in there.

I was in there yesterday and bought a Contender and noticed all of the milsurp guns and was talking to one if the clerks and those are on consignment and was also told that what they have in the store is just the tip of the iceberg of the collection.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Lots of friendly Gun shops around. However, 95% of the time when I am going into a shop I am looking for something specific, be it a part, Gun, optic, ammo, etc. Not much of a browser or bs’er. More times than not, I get told “no we don’t have that, but we can order it for you.” 20 years ago that was probably reasonable, however with the advent of the internet, if I wanted to order it, I would have done so and saved my gas and time. I would estimate that 80% of my purchases are through the internet.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Lots of friendly Gun shops around. However, 95% of the time when I am going into a shop I am looking for something specific, be it a part, Gun, optic, ammo, etc. Not much of a browser or bs’er. More times than not, I get told “no we don’t have that, but we can order it for you.” 20 years ago that was probably reasonable, however with the advent of the internet, if I wanted to order it, I would have done so and saved my gas and time. I would estimate that 80% of my purchases are through the internet.
    Unfortunately most LGS's can't carry a huge inventory, especially of very specific items and stay profitable. Back in the early '70's I worked at a gun shop that had a huge inventory of guns and accessories. Every once in a while one guy would come in and ask to see the Winchester model 70 in .458 magnum. I would get the ladder and pull the box off the top shelf, open the box and watch the "guy" fondle it. He never bought anything. I would then wipe down the gun, put it back in the box and climb the ladder and put it back on the top shelf. That doesn't make money and keep a gun shop in business. It only pays to keep inventory in stock that is popular and moves. Used guns and accessories have a bigger mark up, but that doesn't matter if a holster for an artillery model Luger stays in inventory for many years.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Unfortunately most LGS's can't carry a huge inventory, especially of very specific items and stay profitable. Back in the early '70's I worked at a gun shop that had a huge inventory of guns and accessories. Every once in a while one guy would come in and ask to see the Winchester model 70 in .458 magnum. I would get the ladder and pull the box off the top shelf, open the box and watch the "guy" fondle it. He never bought anything. I would then wipe down the gun, put it back in the box and climb the ladder and put it back on the top shelf. That doesn't make money and keep a gun shop in business. It only pays to keep inventory in stock that is popular and moves. Used guns and accessories have a bigger mark up, but that doesn't matter if a holster for an artillery model Luger stays in inventory for many years.
    Well put.

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    I am going to sing praises for Triple A in LaOtto one more time. The staff greets every customer and knows most people by their first name. They have the best inventory within 60 miles and their facility is first class. The indoor range there is unbelievably modern.

I agree, Triple A is an excellent shop with a good inventory and great customer service. My wife and I stop in almost every weekend.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ZX just today: Just flipping today at the Indy1500 I got pushed along like I was reading magazines at a newsstand instead of buying them at the ZX table.

Looking to buy a SIG M322, GEN Z behind table pointing it out, I looked it over and was pulling my f-ing wallet from my messenger bag when I got "Are you looking to buy or just looking" said in a snotty, condescending tone by GEN Z with ear buds in. Full Stop, put money away and wished him a nice day. Did not cause scene (perhaps I should have) but did not spend any money with ZX and don't think I will in the future. Still mad about it.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    ZX just today: Just flipping today at the Indy1500 I got pushed along like I was reading magazines at a newsstand instead of buying them at the ZX table.

Looking to buy a SIG M322, GEN Z behind table pointing it out, I looked it over and was pulling my f-ing wallet from my messenger bag when I got "Are you looking to buy or just looking" said in a snotty, condescending tone by GEN Z with ear buds in. Full Stop, put money away and wished him a nice day. Did not cause scene (perhaps I should have) but did not spend any money with ZX and don't think I will in the future. Still mad about it.
    I get that same thing in their store. Quit going their because of it. I go to Freedom Firearms and Wrigley's when I'm in Ft Wayne

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I get that same thing in their store. Quit going their because of it. I go to Freedom Firearms and Wrigley's when I'm in Ft Wayne

Why would they say something like that to the gun buying public? It's economic suicide.

That f***ing little snot said that to me as my hand was pulling my wallet out of the bag. Should have been an incident. In retrospect think I did the right thing by shutting up and moving on.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I learned at an early age I was not cut out to deal with the public. Sounds like someone hasn’t quite figured out s/he needs to pursue a different career path.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Why would they say something like that to the gun buying public? It's economic suicide.

That f***ing little snot said that to me as my hand was pulling my wallet out of the bag. Should have been an incident. In retrospect think I did the right thing by shutting up and moving on.
    The best thing that could happen at this point is that the boss reads this and has words with the kid, boss is on here some I believe. Don’t remember screen name.

EDIT got this mixed up with ZR Tactical, which are great guys. Don’t know anything about ZX.
    Disregard.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Definitely some of the worst staff I have ever dealt with in retail. I can't say all of them, I have had some good interactions with ZX, but far too many negatives that I have stayed away for quite some time now. I would much rather spend my money elsewhere.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

I prefer small gun shows. I consider them entertainment, but I have sold and bought a fair amount of products over the years. For six bucks and free parking, I can spend a couple of hours with buddies. A lot of the vendors seem upbeat when I go on Saturday mornings and are motivated to deal. Of course, I'm not likely to see the latest products like the Sig, but I buy them online anyway and have them shipped to my FFL.

Top Bottom