• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I should not assume all local gun stores are bad with service but boy it feels that way. Just left two local shops, one was okay but didn't have what I wanted and I really didn't feel like begging for them to look to see if they could get it so... I then went to the next and was working with some kid that said he couldn't find what I wanted on the computer so he would be unable to order it. While listening to another employee talk on the phone to a customer, hang up and say he fu**ing hates people. I ended up leaving found said gun on their website from home and then ordered it from Bass pro for $100 less. All for making a profit but these guys didn't provide a service worth that markup. Not to date myself but I remember going to the same gun store and having the owner know me by name and alway happy to help. I think with the surge of guns the last couple years these guns stores forgot how to service customers. Hope I am wrong but I guess that's why I spend so much time on gun broker and just avoid the headache of people selling a product they do not know anything about or could care less about your business.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Agreed. I gave up a long time ago. As a woman, I had to fight harder to get waited on, and when I finally would get someone, I knew more than they did about wheelguns. Same for the gun shows. They would rather BS than sell. I haven't bought a gun from a shop or a show in 7-8 years. Just online and FTF for me now.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I’m not prejudice. I hate everyone!

Same for about everything it seems. Went to 2 local hardware stores looking for 2 items. No go at one and the other had one of the items at about 30% higher than on line. No go at Menards also. Bought one of the items on line and will most likely buy the other on line when I need it in a month or so.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Sounds like you need a better grade of LGS.
    I know it wouldn't be practical for ya but M&J Firearms in Fortville always gave the quality service you reminisced about.

They've sold me my last half dozen handguns, and if I hadn't moved out of state, they'd probably sell me my next half dozen.

Point being, they're not all crappy, punish the bad ones by taking your money elsewhere, reward the good ones with your biz.

When the LGSs are gone, and the big box stores and online stores monopolize the market, we'll see what ****** service really looks like then.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Not defending poor customer service or lazy useless workers but it's a two-way street. I have some gun store and gun range experience. A lot of people come in with an attitude and treat the employees like a dog and then expect excellent service and a deal. I always wonder what the A$$hat in a restaurant who treats the server bad for no reason winds up eating!
    Waiting for littletommy to chime in.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I’m not prejudice. I hate everyone!

Same for about everything it seems. Went to 2 local hardware stores looking for 2 items. No go at one and the other had one of the items at about 30% higher than on line. No go at Menards also. Bought one of the items on line and will most likely buy the other on line when I need it in a month or so.
    "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man!" At least that's what I find in New Albany.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So I should not assume all local gun stores are bad with service but boy it feels that way. Just left two local shops, one was okay but didn't have what I wanted and I really didn't feel like begging for them to look to see if they could get it so... I then went to the next and was working with some kid that said he couldn't find what I wanted on the computer so he would be unable to order it. While listening to another employee talk on the phone to a customer, hang up and say he fu**ing hates people. I ended up leaving found said gun on their website from home and then ordered it from Bass pro for $100 less. All for making a profit but these guys didn't provide a service worth that markup. Not to date myself but I remember going to the same gun store and having the owner know me by name and alway happy to help. I think with the surge of guns the last couple years these guns stores forgot how to service customers. Hope I am wrong but I guess that's why I spend so much time on gun broker and just avoid the headache of people selling a product they do not know anything about or could care less about your business.
    There are far more new gun owners than ever before. It is a lot easier to sell something to someone who doesn't know much about guns. If you have never worked "retail" you have no idea how hard it is to work with the public. Some knowledgeable gun store customers take great pleasure in talking down to a sales clerk who may not know it all. On the other hand, some pleasant, knowledgeable gun store customers can make a transaction enjoyable. These days, it seems like fewer and fewer sales people can make a negotiation on a price. I doubt that many work on a commission either which takes away some incentive to sell. With computers everywhere there are far more options for customers than back in the old days. Looks like you found that out, although I'm shocked that Bass Pro had a product that much cheaper than a LGS... Walmart...yes...Bass Pro...no. It does pay to shop around.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Femme Fatale is pretty close as well. Just a husband and wife that run it. Not the best selection but again, customer service is fantastic.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    We've got several fairly LGS within 20 miles of Columbia City including the one in town. Everyone I've been to with the exception of in Ft Wayne has gone out of their way to help me when I go in looking for something

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    There are far more new gun owners than ever before. It is a lot easier to sell something to someone who doesn't know much about guns. If you have never worked "retail" you have no idea how hard it is to work with the public. Some knowledgeable gun store customers take great pleasure in talking down to a sales clerk who may not know it all. On the other hand, some pleasant, knowledgeable gun store customers can make a transaction enjoyable. These days, it seems like fewer and fewer sales people can make a negotiation on a price. I doubt that many work on a commission either which takes away some incentive to sell. With computers everywhere there are far more options for customers than back in the old days. Looks like you found that out, although I'm shocked that Bass Pro had a product that much cheaper than a LGS... Walmart...yes...Bass Pro...no. It does pay to shop around.
    I work at a car dealership so yeah, I know what it’s like to work with the public and negotiate. funny thing is most of us car guys are lay downs. We don’t want to negotiate over small amounts. We just want to buy a product at a fair price and leave. If that kid behind the counter would have been half way decent I would have most likely paid $100 extra just to be down with it. Crazy about the Bass pro price. I figured they would be more for sure.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    People come in all types. Some odd ones behind the counter, some in front.

Kills me when a supposed man, goes online to complain because a staffer at a gunshop didn't acknowledge his presence within 5 seconds.

Been around many shops and gunshows.... for decades. Real simple, if I want to see something I just politely ask. Works pretty damn well, regardless of employee type.

Yup lots of new gun owners, or prospective new gun owners. IMHO if they are that dang sissy about shopping they aint gonna handle the real responsibility of owning/using, a gun.

Freakin clown world anymore.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Of course some shops are buddy buddy w the locals and are clueless on how to do business with the general public. Some act like they're the only deal in town, and maybe they are.

Aint only gunshops where staff ignore potential customers.

Exactly why shopping on the web is good.

Got good stuff, got good prices, got good service? Then your brick and mortar might survive, maybe even do well.

IMHO a lot of stores close......deservedly.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've got a friend who sold his shop not too long ago. We had a discussion about why... He told me that he still had a lot of great customers however that the few that that were not good, they ruined it for him. He said peoples attitudes were getting so bad that he didn't want to deal with them anymore. Boom, done. The new owner is super nice but they don't know me like the old owner... now I've got to start over with building a relationship. Meanwhile I've found out a shop close to me that I avoided because of the owner is under new ownership and has been for awhile. I made a trip there and couldn't be happier. Made a purchase and started a new relationship. Went back the following weekend and met one of the other employees and learned a little more about the shop... made another purchase. So far, I think I'll be doing a lot of business with this little shop. Building a new relationship that means something and will benefit me as well as the shop!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some people prefer to shop mom n pop types of places, others like the big box type of shopping.
    Quality vs quantity maybe.
    I dunno.

The old (good) gunshop days are over IMHO.

Norms off US30 and Schutz Bros were two places pops hit frequently when I was a kid.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    It’s fairly common everywhere these days and it’s terrible.

LGS close to me just got bought out and it’s going to probably be similar to the others now. Time will tell though

Top Bottom