• ...and so much more!
  • Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I agree with CameraMonkey. Between USDS, Bradis and I will also add in Fort Liberty out in Avon, and Badger Creek in Mooresville as well, I get good service. I can go to any of those four, but not everyone has a plethora of gun shops around them.
    There are others around here as well, but I don't frequent them as much.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I try so hard to like that place and have stopped in there on multiple occasions every time buying something small just hoping he gives me a reason to come back and make bigger purchases but he is just always grumpy…. Passed couple times I just skip it.
    I understand what you're saying about his way.
    Many people I talk to say the same thing.

I've dealt with him for decades and when you get to know him he is a good guy.
    He usually has prices that beat what I see here in Indy, and he will order guns in if he's able to get them.

I often talk politics with him when I'm in there, and I've been there at times when there was a group in there and we had some good discussions.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I so want to deal with a LGS , but between the never having anything I ever remotely want or the "I'm to tactical for you" attitude, i pass shopping local. Now I do shop and spend my money at vendor row during Camp Perry national matches, the customer service is very good.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm sorry my experience is the local store is knowledgeable, competitively priced, great service, sociable, and tells me he's glad I came in.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Biggest problem with mine is turnover. Every time I get to know the crew, they are gone and new guys are there.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have a LGS in NWI I go to when I have the money, that I've used for decades.
    (since getting married some years back I don't have as much disposable income these days. )
    He knows me by name when I walk in, has fair prices, and he's the first place I check.
    Jerry's Gunshop in Rensselaer.
    Nailed it!!!

Wait your turn, ask questions, if he don’t got it he’ll give the best advice he can. A no BS kind a guy, sit down n the chairs and talk guns till your up. (he has to deal with a lot of ”the region” types) I mite be one of the old guy’s there. Best prices that I know of, and my best friend owns a shop in a city South of there.

If he ever decides to sell out I’d like to buy the shop. But I’m a few older than him.

Hey, edporch, do you farm in that area?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Route 262 outdoors in Dillsboro is a good shop with friendly people and so is Madison outdoors. Rusty Buck I haven't had enough dealings with them to form an opinion, but the little interaction I've had with them has been positive.
    I'm not the easiest person to deal with because of my hearing difficulties the Gun shops that know me talk much louder so I can hear them.
    As to price if my lgs has what I want they get my business. So far they have all been competitive with bigger stores with firearms. Ammunition is still much cheaper to buy online.
    Reloading components such as primers and powder I usually buy at lgs, while bullets and brass are much cheaper online such as hoosierbullets.com, summitcitybullets.com, and rmr are my top three choices.
    Brass I find who has what I want for the least amount and buy it. I've bought several times from our own @sugarcreekbrass

262 Outdoor texts me when they have something I want or something came in I order because I don't hear good enough to talk on the phone which is another plus.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I try so hard to like that place and have stopped in there on multiple occasions every time buying something small just hoping he gives me a reason to come back and make bigger purchases but he is just always grumpy…. Passed couple times I just skip it.
    I truly do appreciate your reply and I fully understand it. But I only ask you to take into consideration his location to “ the region” The guy has been there for ever, can you imagine the number of scam and con artists he’s had to suffer over the years?

He is ”Exactly Like” INGO, if I don’t know you we are going to have a terse start. Go from there. I’m gonna mention this conversation to him. I can tell you exactly what he’s gonna say. I don’t even have to type all those little stars. He’s still in business that should give you an idea of his business ability and fairness.

When you stop buy, do or say something to stand out so he doesn’t forget you. Wear a funny hat or something ;)(a joke) If you were a regular during the ammo blackout he would get you a box if at all possible of your ammo. JMO I’ve never seen an add in the classies he can’t beat. Those guy’s all think they can get retail prices for there products, a dealer gets them for wholesale. Brand new, in the box, no this done and this added. Blah, Blah, Blah. Again JMO.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I truly do appreciate your reply and I fully understand it. But I only ask you to take into consideration his location to “ the region” The guy has been there for ever, can you imagine the number of scam and con artists he’s had to suffer over the years?

He is ”Exactly Like” INGO, if I don’t know you we are going to have a terse start. Go from there. I’m gonna mention this conversation to him. I can tell you exactly what he’s gonna say. I don’t even have to type all those little stars. He’s still in business that should give you an idea of his business ability and fairness.

When you stop buy, do or say something to stand out so he doesn’t forget you. Wear a funny hat or something ;)(a joke) If you were a regular during the ammo blackout he would get you a box if at all possible of your ammo. JMO I’ve never seen an add in the classies he can’t beat. Those guy’s all think they can get retail prices for there products, a dealer gets them for wholesale. Brand new, in the box, no this done and this added. Blah, Blah, Blah. Again JMO.
    I appreciate the fact that he has been in business for a long time and I do my best to support local stores. But if they don’t give you a reason to pay more than online pricing why would you….? Like I said I have stopped in there multiple times and I try not to be an obnoxious window shopper so always buy something small.

And as for being near the “region” there are atleast 20 other gun stores closer or in the region lol I don’t think that is an acceptable excuse maybe I am wrong since two of you have mentioned it, or maybe it is just something he says ?

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I appreciate the fact that he has been in business for a long time and I do my best to support local stores. But if they don’t give you a reason to pay more than online pricing why would you….? Like I said I have stopped in there multiple times and I try not to be an obnoxious window shopper so always buy something small.

And as for being near the “region” there are atleast 20 other gun stores closer or in the region lol I don’t think that is an acceptable excuse maybe I am wrong since two of you have mentioned it, or maybe it is just something he says ?
    I‘m just spitballing guess it’s his stand off-ish nature. He’s a good guy. You see a big fellow in there with an obnoxious western hat say howdy ;)

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Been to good LGS and bad LGS. The market tends to work itself out.

There are two sides to the equation obviously.
    Store owners and managers need to stress service differentiating them from online sales. People do have options now, and service (knowledge is a plus too) will make them seem better than online. I'm not one to get unreasonably upset if I'm not greeted in 5 seconds, but my expectations are a little more than a begrudging grunt. Dealt with that before, and I didn't go back.
    At the same time, people need to recognize how nice it is to be close to a good LGS. Buy local. Build relationships with the owners. You can't replace local support with an online shipping box, especially with FFL items.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Been to good LGS and bad LGS. The market tends to work itself out.

There are two sides to the equation obviously.
    Store owners and managers need to stress service differentiating them from online sales. People do have options now, and service (knowledge is a plus too) will make them seem better than online. I'm not one to get unreasonably upset if I'm not greeted in 5 seconds, but my expectations are a little more than a begrudging grunt. Dealt with that before, and I didn't go back.
    At the same time, people need to recognize how nice it is to be close to a good LGS. Buy local. Build relationships with the owners. You can't replace local support with an online shipping box, especially with FFL items.
    THIS!!!!

I went into Elmore's ONCE because I needed a part FAST for a class two days later and they were the only ones that had one in stock. I was treated rudely by the owner because I dared interrupt his chain smoking BS session with his buddy, but the young man he pointed me to was helpful. I asked for the part and he produced it quickly and I left. Then it took 2 hours to stop smelling like an ashtray. :puke:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    THIS!!!!

I went into Elmore's ONCE because I needed a part FAST for a class two days later and they were the only ones that had one in stock. I was treated rudely by the owner because I dared interrupt his chain smoking BS session with his buddy, but the young man he pointed me to was helpful. I asked for the part and he produced it quickly and I left. Then it took 2 hours to stop smelling like an ashtray. :puke:
    I have two really nice LGS now. One just expanded in to a bigger store with tons of options. Prior to the expansion, there was one older gentleman in particular that seemed like was looking for an excuse to kill you. He was one of the grumpiest people I've ever met, and he was in retail. The owner thankfully got rid of him after the expansion. His staff is one of the friendliest now.
    The other is a smaller shop that specializes in custom stuff. He does some paint and he has a gun tech that has helped me with a few small projects.
    I try to patronize both as much as my budget allows.

Top Bottom