• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That is also when the dew falls, I like DD don’t mow wet grass…
    Dew forms when the air temperature drops below the dew point, which generally doesn't happen until about 6:00AM (except for exceedingly humid days and/or rainy days) at the peak of summer (when humidity is highest).

For reference, these are averages:

The average dew point at the same time of the year is around 64F. Average air temperature at 9:00PM is 75F.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Living along the time zone line probably gives a different perspective of DST. My Illinois coworkers experienced sunset at the same moment we did, but had an hour less daylight after work/school to enjoy outdoor activities. It's not just about mowing grass. People have less time for ball practice, tennis, biking, gardening, time at the shooting range, etc. For those of us who like to play/work outside, it enhances our lives.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Living along the time zone line probably gives a different perspective of DST. My Illinois coworkers experienced sunset at the same moment we did, but had an hour less daylight after work/school to enjoy outdoor activities. It's not just about mowing grass. People have less time for ball practice, tennis, biking, gardening, time at the shooting range, etc. For those of us who like to play/work outside, it enhances our lives.
    Most of those activities can be done with artificial light. I played a lot of tennis under the lights in high school. Ball fields most/all have lights. Biking can be done in the dark (reflective safety gear, or...lights). Gardening can be done with a work light. I'm guessing outdoor shooting ranges don't generally have lights, so that one will have some limits.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    This rabbit trail is addressing the incorrect claim that trees and houses cause a premature nautical twilight. The underlying point remains that, during civil twilight, there is sufficient ambient light to mow a lawn.
    Arguments like this is why our gun club had to change the rules from "No shooting after dark" to "No shooting after sunset". And we post dates and corresponding time of sunset each month.

Then there was this conversation...

Board guy: "Hey guys, you have to stop shooting, it's after dark"

Member: "we can still see to shoot"

Board guy: "your truck headlights are on"

Member: "that's so we can pick up our stuff"

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Arguments like this is why our gun club had to change the rules from "No shooting after dark" to "No shooting after sunset". And we post dates and corresponding time of sunset each month.

Then there was this conversation...

Board guy: "Hey guys, you have to stop shooting, it's after dark"

Member: "we can still see to shoot"

Board guy: "your truck headlights are on"

Member: "that's so we can pick up our stuff"
    Sure. Because the amount of ambient light necessary to shoot safely on a range is different from the amount of ambient light necessary to mow grass.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That is also when the dew falls, I like DD don’t mow wet grass…
    Uhhh, dew forms when the temperature-dew point spread becomes ≤ 3 degrees F and peaks at the dew point. While more common when radiational cooling is going on, non-daylight hours are not always sufficient to cause dew. Generally, not much more than 20 Fahrenheit degrees of cooling will take place during the entire overnight period and a temperature-dew point spread of much over 20 degrees will not result in the formation of dew. The likelihood of dew formation immediately after sundown would require a very low spread and be about as likely as fog under the same conditions

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Dew forms when the air temperature drops below the dew point, which generally doesn't happen until about 6:00AM (except for exceedingly humid days and/or rainy days) at the peak of summer (when humidity is highest).

For reference, these are averages:

The average dew point at the same time of the year is around 64F. Average air temperature at 9:00PM is 75F.
    Maybe you need to get out more because whatever that is not how it works. In the summer I sit out a lot and it is not uncommon for the grass to be wet an hour or so after sunset…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why should the rest of the world have to adjust the clock to accommodate his personal choices?
    But you’re talking about a specific person. I get to say what my preferences are. I don’t have to prefer the way you want. We have a system to figure out whose preferences end up as policy.

Right now, with the exception of clock flippin’, I like DST. I just want it year round. If I get a vote on that, don’t be surprised if my teeny tiny little portion of sayso is spent preferring permanent DST.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It depends on what work is being done. Lawn mowing can take place safely at least through civil twilight.
    Again, I get to determine what I’d rather have. You get to determine what you’d rather have. We just don’t get to determine what policy is. But. If you don’t like DST, like our friend @ATM advocates, keep the time you want. There’s no law says you must set your clock to what the government says is the time.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I find it funny that the answer to that isn't to change your schedule so that you are free earlier to enjoy said light, but rather to just pretend it is now later than it is instead.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Maybe you need to get out more because whatever that is not how it works. In the summer I sit out a lot and it is not uncommon for the grass to be wet an hour or so after sunset…
    Well, that's how dew works. There can be other, localized conditions (evaporation from earlier rain or lawn watering, etc.) of course. But until the air temperature drops below the dew point (which is a function of humidity), dew will not form.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Again, I get to determine what I’d rather have. You get to determine what you’d rather have. We just don’t get to determine what policy is. But. If you don’t like DST, like our friend @ATM advocates, keep the time you want. There’s no law says you must set your clock to what the government says is the time.
    You are free to do whatever you prefer. The question is why everyone should be forced to change clocks to accommodate your personal preference?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I find it funny that the answer to that isn't to change your schedule so that you are free earlier to enjoy said light, but rather to just pretend it is now later than it is instead.
    Can we agree that time is a man made construct?

That in that construct people must reach a consensus as to what time it is worldwide?

That anyone who wishes a different time is able to set their own time.

There is no pretend, time is what the consensus says it is.

The shifting of time in reality is shifting the society within the hours of daylight.

There is no momentum to change from what we currently have, after a few politicians did their grandstand it was all quiet.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Can we agree that time is a man made construct?

That in that construct people must reach a consensus as to what time it is worldwide?

That anyone who wishes a different time is able to set their own time.

There is no pretend, time is what the consensus says it is.

The shifting of time in reality is shifting the society within the hours of daylight.

There is no momentum to change from what we currently have, after a few politicians did their grandstand it was all quiet.
    Time is certainly not a "man-made construct".

How time is measured and divided is, at least in part, a man-made construct. There are some natural, physical/astronomical, constructs on how time is measured: days as based on the rotation of the earth, months as based on the orbit of the moon around the earth, years as based on orbit of the earth around the sun, seasons as based on the axis of the earth's rotation and the elliptical nature of the earth's orbit, etc. But there are other ways to subdivide the measurement of time, and those can be man-made.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Time is certainly not a "man-made construct".

How time is measured and divided is, at least in part, a man-made construct. There are some natural, physical/astronomical, constructs on how time is measured: days as based on the rotation of the earth, months as based on the orbit of the moon around the earth, years as based on orbit of the earth around the sun, seasons as based on the axis of the earth's rotation and the elliptical nature of the earth's orbit, etc. But there are other ways to subdivide the measurement of time, and those can be man-made.
    Time as we know it was a system devised by the railroads as a continuity across areas where the sunrises varied by hours.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Time as we know it was a system devised by the railroads as a continuity across areas where the sunrises varied by hours.
    You're talking about the clock. "Clock" != "Time". A clock is a means of sub-dividing time.

Sorry to break it to you, though; but the 24-hour day long predates railroads. The Egyptians first used a 24-hour day, and 13th-century Muslims first used a sundial subdivided into 24 hours.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I, for one, wish we would stop all this silliness and just move our clocks forward 30 seconds on each sunday until we reach the hour forward mark, and then begin changing them 30 seconds backwards every sunday.

This sounds much less intrusive and does not interfere so drastically with my sleep schedule.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I, for one, wish we would stop all this silliness and just move our clocks forward 30 seconds on each sunday until we reach the hour forward mark, and then begin changing them 30 seconds backwards every sunday.

This sounds much less intrusive and does not interfere so drastically with my sleep schedule.
    When AI takes over the world ask it to do this for you…

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom