• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    One thing that we in central Indiana often do not acknowledge is that any affect from time change or DST does not just happen to us on the backside of the time zone, it happens to folks in the middle and at the beginning of a time zone in much different ways.

ATM asked why even change? If we were on permanent DST the December/January sunset would be at 4:30. Probably workable for us, however, for the leading edge of CTZ, they would experience a 3:30 sunset and would likely not consider that workable.

Our time laws are a compromise between folks that live at the beginning, in the middle, and at the end of a time zone.

MM
    Sunset at 4:30? In central Indiana? If Y’all were on DST? I don’t think so. According to the sunrise/sunset calendar, January 1st sunrise was at 8:05 AM, sunset was at 5:30 PM. That’s Eastern STANDARD time. If Indiana were on Eastern DAYLIGHT time during January, sunrise and sunset would be an hour later on the clock, not an hour earlier.

So sunrise at 9:05 AM, sunset at 6:30 PM DST. It’s fair to say a lot of folks would not want the sunrise that late on the clock. But a 6:30 sunset would be just fine for most people. So **** those morning people. *******s. :rockwoot:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sunset at 4:30? In central Indiana? If Y’all were on DST? I don’t think so. According to the sunrise/sunset calendar, January 1st sunrise was at 8:05 AM, sunset was at 5:30 PM. That’s Eastern STANDARD time. If Indiana were on Eastern DAYLIGHT time during January, sunrise and sunset would be an hour later on the clock, not an hour earlier.

So sunrise at 9:05 AM, sunset at 6:30 PM DST. It’s fair to say a lot of folks would not want the sunrise that late on the clock. But a 6:30 sunset would be just fine for most people. So **** those morning people. *******s. :rockwoot:

I think you are correct and I brain farted, it is the 9am sunrise that folks object to.

MM

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You might need to explain your thinking here. Moving the clocks back an hour for the winter made it appear to rise and set earlier, not later, during those 4 months.

Somebody fooled you into thinking this made sense, but it doesn't.

Sorry, I twisted it bassackwards...

MM

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Spring Back - Fall Forward.

Because who the hell falls back? :dunno:

Trusting people?

Trust-fall-fail.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, let's see. If you didn't go to DST on March 10, then sunrise would be at 7:04 am and sunset at 6:46 pm for 11hrs and 42 minutes of daylight

But, by going to DST, that becomes sunrise at 8:04 am and sunset at 7:46 pm for a total of 11 hrs and 42 minutes of daylight, an increase of zero percent

Brilliant!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So, let's see. If you didn't go to DST on March 10, then sunrise would be at 7:04 am and sunset at 6:46 pm for 11hrs and 42 minutes of daylight

But, by going to DST, that becomes sunrise at 8:04 am and sunset at 7:46 pm for a total of 11 hrs and 42 minutes of daylight, an increase of zero percent

Brilliant!
    But you "saved" it for later.

Reller39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Stendal
    This will be first time I'm not working day shifts on spring time change. This will be the first time my wife isn't an hour late to 55 minute church service

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I think I may have mentioned before how much I categorically HATE DST, but just in case I haven't, I do.

Top Bottom