• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Then why use "changing clocks is free" as an argument?
    I said this in response to a statement that rather than change clocks, employers schools, and bussinesses could change hours for the people instead of changing clocks: “Changing the clocks is the cheapest and most efficient means to achieve the desired result”.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It is funny to me, since I like this topic, I do discuss it with a good number of people. If one asks do you like changing clocks or DST, the answer is often no, But if I explain about various seasons and the time relative to sunrise and sunset most usually prefer DST.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Are we all starting to sound like the federal gov't? I know what is best for me and therefore it must be best for you? :)
    Right. No matter what standard is set, someone will be inconvenienced. That is part of interacting with a population. Our personal preferences can change over the years. We move or change jobs. Travel time gets longer or shorter, or the work hours change. The time standards are well known. When I worked 12 hour shifts, 7 to 7, I was always driving to and from work in the dark in the winter. I never tried to figure out if it would have made any difference if my locale had stayed on DST.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Then, you're not really here to debate, are you? "It is true because I believe it to be true" is specious and tautological.
    This is not a debate. There will be no winners declared and nothing will get solved either.
    This is a discussion where people state their beliefs, ideas, preferences, etc.

It seems to go better when the idea of changing someone else's beliefs is forgotten.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    This is not a debate. There will be no winners declared and nothing will get solved either.
    This is a discussion where people state their beliefs, ideas, preferences, etc.

It seems to go better when the idea of changing someone else's beliefs is forgotten.
    But.....its less fun.

Its more fun to realize you won't change anybody's mind, but twice a year.......you do it anyway!!!!!!

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    It takes 5 minutes twice a year to change all the clocks in your house. Thats an hour of your time every 6 years. At 60 years old you have spent 10 hours of your life changing clocks.
    Some people have spent 10 hours bitching and moaning about it on here in addition to the hours spent changing their clocks.
    Is it really that big of a deal ?
    And yes, I really do have a job that the daylight makes a difference.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It takes 5 minutes twice a year to change all the clocks in your house. Thats an hour of your time every 6 years. At 60 years old you have spent 10 hours of your life changing clocks.
    Some people have spent 10 hours bitching and moaning about it on here in addition to the hours spent changing their clocks.
    Is it really that big of a deal ?
    And yes, I really do have a job that the daylight makes a difference.
    Talk about irrelevant. The act of physically changing the clocks is not what anyone is arguing against.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    If DST is the panacea, why change the clocks? If "everyone but a few vocal types" want evening light, why not set clocks accordingly and go with it? If DST time is the solution, why change the clocks? It's the changing of the clocks that is absurd. Heck, hours of light vary from 2-3 hrs. seasonally but we only change the clock one hour. The sun doesn't care where the big and little hands are(reminds me of a michael jackson joke). Set the damn clocks - once - and start living with it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If DST is the panacea, why change the clocks? If "everyone but a few vocal types" want evening light, why not set clocks accordingly and go with it? If DST time is the solution, why change the clocks? It's the changing of the clocks that is absurd. Heck, hours of light vary from 2-3 hrs. seasonally but we only change the clock one hour. The sun doesn't care where the big and little hands are(reminds me of a michael jackson joke). Set the damn clocks - once - and start living with it.
    Okay.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    [Citation Needed]

What is the actual, total cost of continual clock-changing?
    To me? Well. It’s not zero. I went somewhere in the truck, looked at the clock in the truck. Thought I was running late, so hurried home. Got home and the wife asked why I was home so early. I said, early? Looked at my watch. Oh. Yeah. Forgot to set the time back. Then she wanted me to help in the kitchen.

It cost me having to do dishes, dammit!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Golf, boating activities, gardening, and it is damned hard to shoot at a home range in the dark, just off the top of my head.
    Oh, come on dude. You just could buy some flood lights to light up your range so that the 9-o’clockers can get to bed when it’s dark. You need to spend that money to accommodate them, you cheapass.

Top Bottom