• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    :dunno: Which makes you no different or better than those of us being castigated for supporting what we do because it is what WE want

Woe unto late night summer golf if they ever put it to a referendum
    Not following - I don't believe I ever claimed I was any different or better than any others. In fact I bet my preferences in this matter would fall right in line with the most popular preferences of the US population if they did a fair poll or referendum.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I posted it upthread. I don't know if it was 'fair' as I don't know what a 'fair' poll would be of a national preference, but permanent Standard Time beat out permanent DST by 3 or 4 points

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    Growing up we had DST, then 30 or so years we were Standard Time all year, now DST again. While on Standard time and working on the Railroad I remember working on DST and living on Standard time all at the same time. Now that is a hoot.............

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I posted it upthread. I don't know if it was 'fair' as I don't know what a 'fair' poll would be of a national preference, but permanent Standard Time beat out permanent DST by 3 or 4 points
    Question; why are we using the terms DST/standard instead of eastern/central?
    I’d prefer to be on Eastern all the time, but someone posted a chart upthread that I interpreted as showing the noon sun tells us we should be on central, and from that math/science/evidence I guess I could get behind that. Evidence, not opinion.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Question; why are we using the terms DST/standard instead of eastern/central?
    I’d prefer to be on Eastern all the time, but someone posted a chart upthread that I interpreted as showing the noon sun tells us we should be on central, and from that math/science/evidence I guess I could get behind that. Evidence, not opinion.
    We are currently on Eastern standard time, and in April we will on Eastern Daylight Savings Time. We are never on central time.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I would be quite happy with Permanent Daylight Savings Time, Permanent Standard Time or even keeping it the way it is with changing the clocks.
    If I had to order them I would prefer
    1 - Permanent Daylight Savings Time
    2 - the way it is with changing the clocks
    3 - Permanent Standard Time
    But it really don't matter much to me. Most of the time I don't know or care much what time it is anyhow. I'll gladly let others do the deciding on this stuff.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    We are currently on Eastern standard time, and in April we will on Eastern Daylight Savings Time. We are never on central time.
    Long long ago in the before (before we started DST 10-15 years ago), I always thought of it as though we were. In the summer we were on WLW time (matched Ohio), in the winter we were on WLS time (Chicago). You would often hear people reference it like ‘we’re on central now’, or ‘how do you like being on central time’.

I feel like listening to those stations a lot back in the day helped me keep track and understand the silliness of changing the clocks, even though like nnbd above stated, I don’t really care what time you make it.

So we are on central time, it’s just that central also does the DST, so we don’t match them any more.
    What we are on right now is central, is it not?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Long long ago in the before (before we started DST 10-15 years ago), I always thought of it as though we were. In the summer we were on WLW time (matched Ohio), in the winter we were on WLS time (Chicago). You would often hear people reference it like ‘we’re on central now’, or ‘how do you like being on central time’.

I feel like listening to those stations a lot back in the day helped me keep track and understand the silliness of changing the clocks, even though like nnbd above stated, I don’t really care what time you make it.

So we are on central time, it’s just that central also does the DST, so we don’t match them any more.
    No. You are EST now, so Eastern time. EDT would be the same as Atlantic Standard Time.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Of course - but we have to be cognizant of confirmation bias. The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

The "real cost to not doing DST" was theorized by Benjamin Franklin - and, as far as I know, largely disproven by actual data. For example, energy usage for light merely shifted from evening to morning.
    I used to say that. Then I came across an article that said it's a misquote from a social scientist. The original quote is "the plural of anecdote IS data." Probably in the realm of social science that's true. Each anecdote you could think of as datum. I think that idea has value in social sciences and economics. Maybe not as useful in STEM.

And it has use here too in terms of how people form opinions about things. Talking to people, hearing their anecdotes, informs your instincts about what's "normal". So it's good to talk to a variety of people with a variety of opinions so that your instincts aren't formed by biases in the data.

You might not think that an anecdote is factual, but in a sense it is. The person you heard it from said it. That's a fact, and many of those add up to data. So indeed, data is the plural of anecdote. I quit saying it the other way around.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No. You are EST now, so Eastern time. EDT would be the same as Atlantic Standard Time.
    Yep. Timezone offset for EST is UTC-5. EDT is UTC-4. CST is UTC-6. CDT is UTC-5. So CDT is the same offset as EST. When Indiana was on EST year round, during DST, it shared the same clock time with the central time zone.

Now wouldn't it just be easier to do UTC? :dunno:

****. I have a meeting at 2:PM UTC with Sam in the California data center. Better finish up the morning coffee and get ready.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    :dunno: Which makes you no different or better than those of us being castigated for supporting what we do because it is what WE want

Woe unto late night summer golf if they ever put it to a referendum
    Tell you what. You get to want what you want. The clock-setters get to want what they want. And I get to want UTC. Just stop throwing data at us claiming it should be objectively your way. Or that we don't need what we want. Because that works both ways. The way we solve things like that is to fight over the powers that be. Or be like ATM and keep your own time.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yep. Timezone offset for EST is UTC-5. EDT is UTC-4. CST is UTC-6. CDT is UTC-5. So CDT is the same offset as EST. When Indiana was on EST year round, during DST, it shared the same clock time with the central time zone.

Now wouldn't it just be easier to do UTC? :dunno:

****. I have a meeting at 2:PM UTC with Sam in the California data center. Better finish up the morning coffee and get ready.
    It would, but that will not happen until maybe we go off planet. People would have a really hard time adjusting their thought processes to the sun coming up and setting at such different times.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    It would, but that will not happen until maybe we go off planet. People would have a really hard time adjusting their thought processes to the sun coming up and setting at such different times.
    Sunrises and sunsets do occur at a different time every day. Global navigation has been based on GMT (UTC) for over a century. In everyday travel there would not a need to figure in time zone or DST changes. We could also drop A.M. and P.M. Noon has no real significance today in everyday life. No one sets their watch by the sun. In scheduling it has the same significance as 10:30 A.M. or 2:45PM. We could use a 24-hour clock.

On the other hand, I do not see resetting the 3 clocks in my house twice a year to be a problem.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sunrises and sunsets do occur at a different time every day. Global navigation has been based on GMT (UTC) for over a century. In everyday travel there would not a need to figure in time zone or DST changes. We could also drop A.M. and P.M. Noon has no real significance today in everyday life. No one sets their watch by the sun. In scheduling it has the same significance as 10:30 A.M. or 2:45PM. We could use a 24-hour clock.

On the other hand, I do not see resetting the 3 clocks in my house twice a year to be a problem.

Why do you keep bringing up the clocks?
    You seem to be ignoring, it's not about resetting the clocks.

Though, with me IT WAS ABOUT RESETTING THE CLOCKS.
    Many of the clocks running civilization behind the scenes are legacy machines that take effort to reset.
    Spend 8 hours resetting machinery, then get back to me.

I loved when EMLI displayed in local time, but when you looked up history (anything over 3 minutes old) it displayed in the time in SWEDEN.

But mostly, it's not about resetting the clocks.
    That's just a way to 'poo-poo' on people to try to make yourself feel better.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

A lot of misremembering in here buddy. I too remember the DST as a kid and hated it when they took us off of DST and I lost hours of my summer evenings. As a rural kid we were out until dark working or playing. Never was a morning person. LOL

We were on the same time as Chicago in the summer when we did not change time, I called it not observing DST even though it really is Eastern Standard Time.

I always hated how not following DST screwed up the TV schedule. All summer when I wanted to be up and out late the news came on at freaking 10pm and Carson was over and I’m not even close to ready for bed.

Then in the winter we were on the same time as New York and it was easier for me to coordinate my life with other interests, particularly media interests. I completely agree with you that leaving DST when we were kids was one of the formational events that cemented my thinking on changing clocks, I despised not changing the clocks with everybody else.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    A lot of misremembering in here buddy. I too remember the DST as a kid and hated it when they took us off of DST and I lost hours of my summer evenings. As a rural kid we were out until dark working or playing. Never was a morning person. LOL

We were on the same time as Chicago in the summer when we did not change time, I called it not observing DST even though it really is Eastern Standard Time.

I always hated how not following DST screwed up the TV schedule. All summer when I wanted to be up and out late the news came on at freaking 10pm and Carson was over and I’m not even close to ready for bed.

Then in the winter we were on the same time as New York and it was easier for me to coordinate my life with other interests, particularly media interests. I completely agree with you that leaving DST when we were kids was one of the formational events that cemented my thinking on changing clocks, I despised not changing the clocks with everybody else.
    I think your saying, and as someone else pointed out above, that I’m misremembering which season was matching with where, and that’s fair enough.

I do not remember the first time we were on DST and then went off it. I have no idea how you got the idea that we agreed on any of that in your last paragraph, that may be somebody else.

I have always thought everyone else was silly for changing the clocks, so we’re kinda on the complete opposite end of the spectrum here.

I do remember as a kid not getting to watch some shows I wanted because it was still light out. Priorities!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Why do you keep bringing up the clocks?
    You seem to be ignoring, it's not about resetting the clocks.

Though, with me IT WAS ABOUT RESETTING THE CLOCKS.
    Many of the clocks running civilization behind the scenes are legacy machines that take effort to reset.
    Spend 8 hours resetting machinery, then get back to me.

I loved when EMLI displayed in local time, but when you looked up history (anything over 3 minutes old) it displayed in the time in SWEDEN.

But mostly, it's not about resetting the clocks.
    That's just a way to 'poo-poo' on people to try to make yourself feel better.
    And I just remembered EMLI having 3 remote 'smart' screens.
    Their instructions weren't in the EMLI manual of course.
    It was in its manufacturer's instructions.
    In this case, there was a 'hidden' spot on the screen you had to press for something like 6 seconds.
    That hidden spot was a pain to find.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think your saying, and as someone else pointed out above, that I’m misremembering which season was matching with where, and that’s fair enough.

I do not remember the first time we were on DST and then went off it. I have no idea how you got the idea that we agreed on any of that in your last paragraph, that may be somebody else.

I have always thought everyone else was silly for changing the clocks, so we’re kinda on the complete opposite end of the spectrum here.

I do remember as a kid not getting to watch some shows I wanted because it was still light out. Priorities!
    I mistook your first sentence as being about the late 60‘s when, where I lived, had DST.

Top Bottom