• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    +1 for Sugar Creek! We have been there several times and had a great "hunt" with a great guide and dogs. Your daughter will like the place and the owners who own and run it are good people.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    ?? thorn bottom?
    how did you do

Good eye!

I played "clean up". Others were good shots and didn't leave much to clean up. So, I spent most of my time enjoying the dogs. That was just fine by me.....sometimes I'm more in the mood for the dogs than the birds.

Heading up after Christmas with a buddy and his son....love getting out for stuff like that.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Should be in KS chasing ditch pigeons again, but my GPS tore up her knee chasing woodcock & grouse in the UP, so she's spending the pheasant/holiday season in a post-op Cone Of Shame :crying:
    I missed my trip to the UP this year. We went to Iowa over thanksgiving and chased roosters. My brother and his son did very well, me and a buddy didn’t have as much luck. I did manage to kill my first wild pheasant in norther Indiana a few weeks prior at one of the draw hunts. I liked 5 pheasant hunting but love the scenery up in MI much better. As my 14 year old said, “I like hunting in Michigan better because you can shoot any bird you see!” Meaning either sex. I can’t argue with him as we saw a 3-1 or higher ratio of hens to roosters!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Nice. Ok I've gotta ask, what kind of SXS you got there? Looks fantastic but I can't tell what it is

Thanks! It’s a Huglu, Turkish made. I was looking at buying a more modern semi auto for going after pheasant on Iowa. I generally shoot older guns, but figured I needed something more modern to shoot hotter shells and have screw in choke tubes. This one happened to pop up at a decent price so I figured I’d jump on it. It’s ’only’ 20 years old which is pretty modern for me! It’s the same model that they made for CZ, but this one is a fancier version, all hand engraved with coin finished receiver. It’s a bit fancy for me, but it handles well.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I had thought of getting a Gordon many years ago. Beautiful dogs but just never worked out for me.
    Our first bird dog was an English Setter, Skeeter. He was an awesome dog and we ere thinking of getting another. My wife grew up with Rotties and she saw a pic of a Gordon, which basically looked like our ES but with teh colors of a Rottie. We found a Breeder down in KY and got our first one and now have two!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Our first bird dog was an English Setter, Skeeter. He was an awesome dog and we ere thinking of getting another. My wife grew up with Rotties and she saw a pic of a Gordon, which basically looked like our ES but with teh colors of a Rottie. We found a Breeder down in KY and got our first one and now have two!
    All my dogs have been shot haired hunting dogs. Neither wife nor I like the shedding. Current dog is a Braque Francais type Pyrenees (small French Pointer). Great temperament in the house for a bird dog. Great pheasant hunting dog. And sweet and shy as hell.

Friend of mine just found a breeder in Grand Rapids area and got one with the intention of running the versatile trials. Not many of these dogs around as the first importations were in the 90s I think. I got mine from one of the original importers/breeders in South Dakota.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Wish I had seen this sooner. I would have invited you to hunt with us in November. We do a put and take, but we buy out entire fields so that we are the only knuckle heads present :) over the course of the week we had 17 hunters with us that were under 18yo.

Bird hunting is all about spending time outside making memories with friends, especially the 4 legged kind.

I hunt at Prairie Grove near Brazil, and Royal Flush near Rockville. I've got a new dog that I'm training this year. She's not quite ready to have new hunters behind her yet, but she will be by next year. I'd be happy to take both of you hunting next year.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Wish I had seen this sooner. I would have invited you to hunt with us in November. We do a put and take, but we buy out entire fields so that we are the only knuckle heads present :) over the course of the week we had 17 hunters with us that were under 18yo.

Bird hunting is all about spending time outside making memories with friends, especially the 4 legged kind.

I hunt at Prairie Grove near Brazil, and Royal Flush near Rockville. I've got a new dog that I'm training this year. She's not quite ready to have new hunters behind her yet, but she will be by next year. I'd be happy to take both of you hunting next y
    I'm training a new dog also, been going to royal flush but Shawn doesn't have quail and Prarie Grove is closer to Indy. How does it compare to Royal flush in your opinion? I also sent you a message,

Steve

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Got to bag a few birds today with some great Brittanys.

The woods were flooded enough that the hunt may also qualify as a duck hunt!

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Jim only has 2 fields, so he's a much smaller operation. Great guy, as is Shawn. Prairie Grove is only 15 min from me. Royal Flush is 45 minutes. I like both for different reasons, but I'm using Prairie Grove for training because it's so close.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Jim only has 2 fields, so he's a much smaller operation. Great guy, as is Shawn. Prairie Grove is only 15 min from me. Royal Flush is 45 minutes. I like both for different reasons, but I'm using Prairie Grove for training because it's so close.
    Thanks for the reply and pm. the main reason I'm interested in Prarie Grove is the distance. FWIW back in the day, 2002 -2005 or there abouts I hunted the Chinook mine and had some good quail hunts with the dratthaar pictured in a previous post as well as a couple french brittanies owned by friends.

Steve

Top Bottom