Dashcam video of Fortville officer shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Drug legislation and enforcement is a complete failure from the peasant in South America, through our southern border and onward to the hands of the end user with the trip occasionally spiced up with arrests, shootings, no-knocks, especially those carried out at the wrong houses, and innocent citizens having their cash stolen from the on the presumption of involvement with the drug trade with no corroborating evidence whatsoever. I don't think anyone could make a credible argument that the system is working in this regard. Part of me leans toward legalizing drugs and letting the morons self-destruct and then the rest of us move on. In reality, I seriously object to the use of drugs but don't have a good solution--just the realization that the 'War on Drugs' has been the prime mover in our steady march toward a police state.

Do you have a workable solution? I would like to be rid of the drugs, but the 'solutions' that have been presented seem to be worse than the problem, especially considering that the .gov is completely unwilling to secure the border where the problem could be solved.

I guess my point was irregardless of ones thoughts on the drug issue it seems kinda callous to discuss it on a thread where a officer almost lost his life. That is what this thread is about. A few on here have in so many words offered up a reason or excuse for the what the POS did. There is no excuse for the actions of the now deceased POS. None and I am quite glad he is no longer with us.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I saw his pic Saturday morning and was struck by how familiar he looked. When I watched the video and heard his name, I know why: I know him....sort of. (Met through his g/f) Nice guy. Glad to hear he's recovering.

It's easy to say he shoulda floored it, but that kind of thinking is really anathema to LE tactics, I would think. I mean, I know self defense becomes priority one at that point, but the time it would take to evaluate the situation and realize what was happening doesn't really lend itself to considering an act that in just about every other circumstance is verboten. If it wasn't in his bag of tricks from training, he just didn't have the time to respond with something completely different and non-SOP. Heck, wasn't time for SOP response when it comes right down to it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Wow, that cop didn't have a chance. Holy crap! Unfortunately it's circumstances like this that incite officers to drag me out of my car and throw me into the ditch with a boot on my neck for having a tail lite out. While I am lying there with my face in the gravel It's difficult to rationalize their behavior. Watching this video shows the other side.

I am very glad that the officer lived. Unfortunately now he will have to go back on the street with this experience under his belt. I just hope he never has to pull me over, I am getting too old to get thrown in the street.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I guess my point was irregardless of ones thoughts on the drug issue it seems kinda callous to discuss it on a thread where a officer almost lost his life. That is what this thread is about. A few on here have in so many words offered up a reason or excuse for the what the POS did. There is no excuse for the actions of the now deceased POS. None and I am quite glad he is no longer with us.

You jumped in on the issue before I did, so don't chastise me for polluting the tribute to the injured officer. The bottom line is that the only way to prevent this from happening again is to answer the question I posed, and unfortunately, it appears that the drug cartels and the .gov are equally disinterested in an actual solution.

While I certainly feel for the injured officer, I also believe the best way to honor him and all others who have been wounded and/or killed is to find a solution to prevent this recurring problem rather than simply having an outburst of sympathy. By the way, I mean a real solution, not any damned thing done to the general population goes so long as it is done in the name of officer safety. The good officers in the country and the citizens both deserve better than having personal safety on the job and any pretense of having constitutional rights pitted against each other while nothing productive is done to stop the problem.

Once again, the best tribute that can be offered to an injured party is a workable remedy for the problem responsible for the injury.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Guess the felon of some history didn't want to go back to jail.
    You want to stop this "problem"?
    Felon with drugs and guns..........hmmmmmm, laws don't work.
    Guess ya gotta kill 'em or never let them free.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    There's a lot to learn in this video for LE and non-LE.

1.) Nothing is routine, a traffic stop for an equipment violation on a nicer Volvo can turn into a chase and multiple shooting the same as anything else.

2.) Make sure your gun is accessible from a seated position in your car. This guy was shooting before the officer even stopped the car so getting out to return fire wasn't possible.

3.) Don't train for a static shootout like in the movies where two guys shoot back and forth until somebody hits. This guy was advancing toward the officer as he fired, force-on-force training proves its value here.

4.) Always go through "what-ifs." "What if this guy jumps out and opens fire?" "What if he stops but refuses to come out of the vehicle?" "What if this guy jumps out and lays down immediately?"

I'm definitely not a tactics expert, so I'm surely missing things. These are just my immediate observations. I hope this officer recovers fully, and I hope nobody here is ever in that situation.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I hope Officer Fox makes a full recovery both physically and mentally. This kind of thing will play hell on him for a very long time. As for the worthless waste of space....I am glad he was finally killed. We do not need nor want people like him around here...good riddance to filth. It would be interesting to hear what the Brady Campaign and other Antis have to say about this footage and criminal. He OBVIOUSLY didn't give a S**T about gun laws....

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the shooters tactics were aggressive and effective, though he did not achieve his goal, in the initial shooting. in the second incident, his tactics started out aggressive but they fell apart....and he lost the fight.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    What amazes me is that the BG fired TWELVE rounds from his .45.... THREE of them directly through the driver-side window.

Only ONE round actually hit Fox out of the twelve. 1/12 from nearly arms reach distance.

(Flip the tables in a personal defense situation... Goes to show how important practicing/training for shot placement is).

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    First off let me say that I pray for a speedy recovery for officer Fox.

Second, I'm glad that this was a 20 minute, 25$ solution (of course I'm oversimplifying but you get my drift) instead of a 50 year 2,500,000$ "solution".

Finally, hopefully everyone, LEO and Non LEO can learn several lessons from this situation. We've already seen at least one comment to this.

1. It doesn't matter if the vehicle is a late model volvo near Geist, a 1980s pick up truck or a flavor of the month Hoopty... Evil exists and it can strike at any time, anywhere.

2. You might not have time to use the tools you would generally think of first. Your first tool is your mind and working on your fighting mindset is a necessity.

I'm sure there are more lessons to be learned but these are just my initial reactions.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    What amazes me is that the BG fired TWELVE rounds from his .45.... THREE of them directly through the driver-side window.

Only ONE round actually hit Fox out of the twelve. 1/12 from nearly arms reach distance.

(Flip the tables in a personal defense situation... Goes to show how important practicing/training for shot placement is).

A very good example of how tough glass is on a bullet. It also appears from the photos that the window tint helped with keeping the door glass together somewhat. Other wise after one shot that door glass would have been a non issue. I would like to know what load the POS was using. Anyone know?

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Nothing but respect for the honest cops that have to deal with this daily. Hope it is a speedy recovery.

Made it threw the first 3 pages I saw you guys flaming the guy who said to legalize drugs to reduce drug violence. And I would have to agree with him, if you were to legalize drugs... yes people would OD but that would be a form of natural selection. Get rid of some of the losers atleast innocent people wouldnt be hurt. gov. could tax it like they do everything else make a ton of money like they do off of cigarettes. Would be no more fighting over "turf" cause you could buy a bag of weed/coke/ whatever you want at a liquor store.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I guess you guys don't understand why prohibitions cause violence... :dunno:

The fact that legalizing drug use would end some of the violence doesn't mean that deaths resulting from its use would end. Look at how many otherwise innocent people die each year as a result of drunk driving.

Our geographical society is in a place where criminal violence is increasing. It isn't so much the violence associated with drug sales as it is a general decay of our social fabric which makes violence against our fellows much more acceptable than it has been in the past.

In fact, I doubt we'd be having this conversation on this web site if the kind of thing that happened to this officer couldn't just as easily happen to the rest of us in some form or other.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Hmmm after being in LE for over 13 years I have never heard of this group of liberals. :noway: As far as I am concerned anyone posting this type of rubbish on a thread about a homicidal thug is part of the problem. Making excuses for this type of incident is just plain bizarre. To much THC perhaps.

Im not making excuses for this POS to do what he did. I am pointing out that it is not just potheads that want this changed.

Also after being an American for 35 years i would like to point out that freedom and liberty mean for all people and all things. Not just the ones you like or agree with.

Top Bottom