• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I loved how when it was shut down a few years back it actually mean shutting down national parks and access roads yet became the largest spending spree in US history. Yeah that showed the American people! ...... Read aloud in pink lettering.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This problem needs to be resolved by BOTH parties in Congress! Otherwise, it will continue to be a thorn in our side for decades to come allowing extremists on BOTH sides of the aisle to use it as an excuse for lambasting the other side.

So a baby in diapers (or a few years older) was dragged across the boarder when they couldn't even speak.

Today, a decade or more later, they only speak English, have attended American schools, shopped in American stores, watched American movies, and are expected to do - what? Just leave? Go back to a county they've never known? Speak a language they may not know? Through ZERO fault of their own. They had and have no malice or intention to harm either Americans or America. Yet there is a clamor from some on the "right" to just kick 'em out, they're illegal.

At the same time there are some on the "left" that just want to give them and their families a free pass. What good does that do to sending a message to all that our laws are to be ignored? That we don't respect the rule of law? That if someone gets away with something long enough they get a free pass?

The answer will lie in the middle. There is NO WAY the majority of Americans want innocent people just booted out because their parents broke the law. And there is NO WAY the majority of Americans will give them anything close to a free pass. They are, after all, here illegally.

There must be some sort of comprise that really chafes both sides, but not so much that they cannot live with it. Mandatory military service from the "kids" for four (4) or eight (8) years. Manditory 5,000 hours of community service from the parents who brought them here. Everyone MUST learn to at least speak English. Throw in fines, throw in something else, take one (1) or more of the above away - whatever.

Something both extremes hate and don't want but the majority would say, "Fine. It's settled. Let's move on to something else important."

Alas, that may never happen. And if not, there will be another thread regarding this same issue a decade or more from now.

Regards,

Doug

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I am not wise enough to even begin on this, but children nave ALWAYS paid for the mistakes of their parents. Drug addicts, abusers, alcoholics, "adulterers" (for lack of a better word - maybe serial monogamists?), pedophiles, "the abusive non-parental boyfriend," vengeful exes, etc. - all affect children in negative ways, some very seriously or even mortally.

I don't like it, and it's not fair. It should never be that way. But it is.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    "adulterers" (for lack of a better word - maybe serial monogamists?)
    I think you're looking for the word fornicator (a person who has sex outside of wedlock).

I don't like it, and it's not fair. It should never be that way. But it is.
    Agreed. We need some way on informing (young) adults that the data is very clear - having two parents in a stable home is far and away the best environment for a child's development. That doesn't mean we need to punish the children themselves (as you say, it's not their fault), but it does make any real solution difficult to come by. I think we need to restructure the whole foster and adoptive child system, but I'm not sure what would be better to replace it (statewide boarding school system? I imagine there will be a lot of flak in response to this idea, but how else can we take care of the multitude of children in need). I'm not sure how we can correct the useless adults without punishing children.

Top Bottom