Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I hate optics....BUT the differences in quality is amazing as you move up the price ladder. So far, I have tapped out around the Vortex Viper line an AAoptics refurbs. For me their glass is OK and the features adaquate with a stellar warranty. Leupold and Trijicon have the glass that seems to match my eyes. So does Huskemaw. Even the Leupold Freedom line has good glass but that is all extremely user specific.

I definitely see the difference going from my old Bushnell to the two DTs I have.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I spent the last couple of weeks finding and buying dies and components to reload .308.

It hasn't been cheap. The prices haven't gone up on components as much as ammo but the availability is as bad. The Hazmat charges jack up the cost considerably since you can't find several things you need at once to spread the cost and end up paying it over and over for small orders.

I haven't done any reloading in the past 3 years. Todays prices and the potential for more accuracy has pushed me to start again.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    From what I understand from the book, you might not see a difference in the glass but you will see a difference in the optic holding zero as you crank the turrets back and forth to dial in different distances. If you are going to zero it and not adjust for hold-over, you might be Ok with the $400.

I’m already trying to figure out what my next optic will be and I don’t even have the rifle it will go on yet

Returning to zero is crucial in a scope. CRUCIAL.

As my eyes get older though, glass is of increasing importance.

Which brings up what Tdogg said; define your purpose. If you are always shooting holdover, maybe a cheaper scope will do? My challenge with shooting holdover is being consistent with wind calls - which I am absolutely horrible at...

I've ready the first part of "the" book. Good stuff. I hope it generates some conversation here.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I spent the last couple of weeks finding and buying dies and components to reload .308.

It hasn't been cheap. The prices haven't gone up on components as much as ammo but the availability is as bad. The Hazmat charges jack up the cost considerably since you can't find several things you need at once to spread the cost and end up paying it over and over for small orders.

I haven't done any reloading in the past 3 years. Todays prices and the potential for more accuracy has pushed me to start again.

I had a plan to stock up before the election. I didn't get to reloading stuffs.

I also had a goal to move the safes and setup my reloading area again this winter. That hasn't happened either.

I need to retire...

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I definitely see the difference going from my old Bushnell to the two DTs I have.
    I would take the opportunity to look thru other people's glass. Look thru them at various distances and compare them side by side. Something doesn't look bad until you compare to the next step up.

From Vortex, my bare minimum is HST/PST or better.

I am impressed so far with my two Athlon Helos scopes. My eyes like them.

My eyes also like Trijicon and Leupold glass.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm about halfway through the book. Great stuff.

My situation at this time is pretty set. I don't want to shoot competition where I'm worried about different positions, different distances, etc. At this time I'm shooting from a fixed bench position at a fixed distance. That makes a lot of things easier for me. Shooting like this is helping me to learn the basics and to learn to shoot for decent groups. For .22 I'm set at shooting at 50 and 100 yards. For .308, I'm wanting to start at 100 yards and go out to 200 yards, seeing what my rifle will do at those distances. From time to time, when I have the opportunity, I'd like to try reaching out to further distances (after I have the basics down better and know what I'm doing a bit better).

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I would take the opportunity to look thru other people's glass. Look thru them at various distances and compare them side by side. Something doesn't look bad until you compare to the next step up.

From Vortex, my bare minimum is HST/PST or better.

I am impressed so far with my two Athlon Helos scopes. My eyes like them.

My eyes also like Trijicon and Leupold glass.

Have you tried the Diamondback Tactical scopes? I've been pretty impressed with them so far, but haven't really tried anything better.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven

My situation at this time is pretty set. I don't want to shoot competition where I'm worried about different positions, different distances, etc. At this time I'm shooting from a fixed bench position at a fixed distance. That makes a lot of things easier for me. Shooting like this is helping me to learn the basics and to learn to shoot for decent groups. For .22 I'm set at shooting at 50 and 100 yards. For .308, I'm wanting to start at 100 yards and go out to 200 yards, seeing what my rifle will do at those distances. From time to time, when I have the opportunity, I'd like to try reaching out to further distances (after I have the basics down better and know what I'm doing a bit better).
    I would look at a scope with magnification like a 5-25 or 6-24 with an adjustable parallax that goes below 50 yards (like 10-35 yards).

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    In NRL22 competition, I see the DT 6-24 and the Athlon Argos BTR gen2 6-24 being mentioned a lot for base class. Base class is a combined MSRP of $1050 or less between the rifle and scope combo. I know you said no competition, but it gives you an idea of what others are using that are "budget" minded like us.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    You could get a scope that has extra features you don't think you need right now. You can always grow into them and use them later if you're abilities grow or interests change.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016

If I was worthy of giving advice, which I am not, my suggestion would be get another DT and skip the learning curve of a new scope and the cost of something that might not fit your long term needs.

Once you settle in at 100-200, if you decided you need more then you can re-define your goals, sell off the DT and step up.

If you haven't shot much at distances past 100 yards, you might find the magnification has it limits. I seldom use max power on the 6-24 scopes. I usually back down to eliminate any distracting movement or eliminate heat mirage.

but.....BUT...that being said, once you settle into 308, I am positive you have the skills to make 200 yards as an easy chip shot and will be quickly wanting to find a 600 yard range and then 1000. So maybe you just should get a Viper now or better yet, a Razor.

LOL...glad I could help. ;) :cool: :stickpoke:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

My goals are pretty straightforward right now. I want the skills and tools needed to be confident out to 500 yards. Once I get there, I'll work on going longer maybe. I can practice regularly up to 200 yards but will only travel to ranges that go out longer maybe 3 times a year potentially

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Had a regular Diamondback before, but that was before the Tactical series came out. It was "okay".
    If I was worthy of giving advice, which I am not, my suggestion would be get another DT and skip the learning curve of a new scope and the cost of something that might not fit your long term needs.

Once you settle in at 100-200, if you decided you need more then you can re-define your goals, sell off the DT and step up.

If you haven't shot much at distances past 100 yards, you might find the magnification has it limits. I seldom use max power on the 6-24 scopes. I usually back down to eliminate any distracting movement or eliminate heat mirage.

but.....BUT...that being said, once you settle into 308, I am positive you have the skills to make 200 yards as an easy chip shot and will be quickly wanting to find a 600 yard range and then 1000. So maybe you just should get a Viper now or better yet, a Razor.

LOL...glad I could help. ;) :cool: :stickpoke:

I think I've settled on another DT 6x24x50. If I need better, I can buy one down the road.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not sure that any of my optics are right for my goals right now. The best I have at the moment is the Sig Sierra 3 and that's probably mid-grade at best.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    According to the Warrior Poet Society video with Ryan, the DT 6x24x50 was their budget recommendation, though they did say the Viper PST Gen II 6x24x50 was a better scope to start out with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom