• Total voters

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If I get the CZ75D compact and carry it half cocked how many pounds is that first trigger pull? I noticed when I tried the non-decocker version that first pull was extremely long. I'm assuming from the half it isn't as long, but does it lighten the pull? Is it safe not to drop the hammer and keep it cocked on the decocker model? I still have the firing pin block right?

As far as the 1911, from the posts, I'm guessing there's no firing pin block, so if the hammer drops I'm getting a round in the leg? Can you recommend 9mm 1911 around the $800 price point? I don't have huge hands so the 1911 feels better, but I can always get thinner grips on the CZ right? I like the thought of, if I'm using it for home defense, if I pull the trigger and get a light strike I can pull the trigger again with the CZ.

Will I get better groups with the CZ or 1911 than I currently do with my G19. I'm not talking accuracy. I've been shooting for a long time and will never be more accurate than the gun in shooting. I know a lot of accuracy has to do with sight length and trigger pull.

Out of the box, the CZ has a decent trigger. With about $300 or so in parts and skill, the trigger becomes buttery smooth. Mine is part way there, with a bit of polishing done and a reach reduction kit and spring kit installed. So, my trigger pull from the half cock notch is around 6 to 8 lbs and is under 4 for SA.

A stock CZ is one of the best 9mm pistols available today, but once tuned can become a truly great pistol. But, if you are looking for a range only gun, then go for the 1911. They are addicting for a reason. When tuned, the trigger on them is sublime. For carry though, I'm a believer in the 1911 as a life choice. As noted by others above, the 1911 needs to be embraced and practiced with until dropping the safety is a reflexive action. If you carry 1911s as your main gun, you can occasionally carry a Glock, but if you carry a Glock as your main gun, you probably should not carry a 1911 occasionally.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Out of the box, the CZ has a decent trigger. With about $300 or so in parts and skill, the trigger becomes buttery smooth. Mine is part way there, with a bit of polishing done and a reach reduction kit and spring kit installed. So, my trigger pull from the half cock notch is around 6 to 8 lbs and is under 4 for SA.

A stock CZ is one of the best 9mm pistols available today, but once tuned can become a truly great pistol. But, if you are looking for a range only gun, then go for the 1911. They are addicting for a reason. When tuned, the trigger on them is sublime. For carry though, I'm a believer in the 1911 as a life choice. As noted by others above, the 1911 needs to be embraced and practiced with until dropping the safety is a reflexive action. If you carry 1911s as your main gun, you can occasionally carry a Glock, but if you carry a Glock as your main gun, you probably should not carry a 1911 occasionally.

Same handgun, same place, everyday.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I live in Lawrence county.

I went to atterberry a couple of weeks ago hoping they'd have one to shoot, but they didn't.

Come out to the steel challenge shoot next Saturday at South Central Gun Club in Freetown. Bring 9mm ammo. You can shoot my 1911. Or I have a Sig P226 SAO that you can try.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    CZs are often referred to as European 1911s. IMHO, this is absolutely true. I have a cajonized 75B and P-01, care of Dr. llh1956, and I shoot these as accurately, perhaps even more so, than my DW 1911 V-Bob (which I consider the pinnacle of 1911s in my price range).

I have two handguns in my smallish collection I will not part with... a NM 66 Combat Magnum revolver that I have torn down and rebuilt, and a cajonized CZ matte stainless 75B.

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I can see the future.... and it reads:

"WTS: Two Glock 19s in perfect condition (Southern Indiana)"

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Come out to the steel challenge shoot next Saturday at South Central Gun Club in Freetown. Bring 9mm ammo. You can shoot my 1911. Or I have a Sig P226 SAO that you can try.

SCGC HAS STEEL? I've been wanting to compete and shoot some steel, but didn't know any place around here did that! Unfortunately I'm going to be out of town for the next couple of weekends, but I'd be interested in meeting up and shooting some steel!

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana

I can't give up my Glocks! They are what I shoot best and what I've trained with. That and I'd have to change my name, CZz or 1911z just doesn't have the same ring to it!!!! Hahaha

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    I can't give up my Glocks! They are what I shoot best and what I've trained with. That and I'd have to change my name, CZz or 1911z just doesn't have the same ring to it!!!! Hahaha

Right there with ya Z, at least until CZ decides to manufacture a compact .45 or a 10mm.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    SCGC HAS STEEL? I've been wanting to compete and shoot some steel, but didn't know any place around here did that! Unfortunately I'm going to be out of town for the next couple of weekends, but I'd be interested in meeting up and shooting some steel!

Next season they are moving it to the Third Saturday of the month. Matches are posted in the shooting sports forum.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Funny, but I sold both of my Glock 19s this year and bough 3 CZs. One, a CZ 1911A1, the second a Dan Wesson CCO and the third was a 40P. I still have my G23, but the 40P has made it's place in the safe a little less stable.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Me thinks he hasn't run a Cajunized CZ. They run like a raped ape.

They sure do. Both platforms respond very well to tuning, but the difference in a Cajunized CZ and one that's stock is truely remarkable. But, even a Cajunized CZ still comes up a bit short on a well tuned 1911. Just a bit though. Both platforms are really good examples of what the art of tuning can produce.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Long term goal is to have well tuned examples of both platforms.

They sure do. Both platforms respond very well to tuning, but the difference in a Cajunized CZ and one that's stock is truely remarkable. But, even a Cajunized CZ still comes up a bit short on a well tuned 1911. Just a bit though. Both platforms are really good examples of what the art of tuning can produce.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    If you don't want to go with .45, go with the CZ. I have shot several 1911s in 9mm, and reliability has always been lacking. For critical situations, stick with what the gun was designed for - the 1911 was designed for .45, and the CZ was designed for 9mm.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    If you don't want to go with .45, go with the CZ. I have shot several 1911s in 9mm, and reliability has always been lacking. For critical situations, stick with what the gun was designed for - the 1911 was designed for .45, and the CZ was designed for 9mm.

I very much agree with this. I've owned and shot CZs in other calibers, and they've done very well. IMHO, though, CZs shine brightest in 9mm format.

Top Bottom