• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Has anyone cut and crowned a shotgun barrel? And actually what does it mean to crown a barrel? I would like to cut down a 20ga single shot barrel. I wouldnt mind doing it myself if its not hard. I have a extra barrel to practice on. Thanks guys.:D

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    all thats not neccessary with a shotgun... when i cutdown a shotgun barrel, i hacksaw it off at 18.5 and make a mark at around 18.25. then i chuck it in the mill and face the end of it to make it square... this step can be done with a fine hand and a file just take your time and dont remove to much. sandpaper the end to remove all machine marks, then take and exacto knife and cut a champfer on the inside edge removing all burrs. use the sandpaper to remove the sharp outer edge, cold blue and wala

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    are you just using bird shot and/or buckshot??? the reason I ask is I would think shooting these types would not really need a crown job...it's a shotgun have fun...

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    all thats not neccessary with a shotgun... when i cutdown a shotgun barrel, i hacksaw it off at 18.5 and make a mark at around 18.25. then i chuck it in the mill and face the end of it to make it square... this step can be done with a fine hand and a file just take your time and dont remove to much. sandpaper the end to remove all machine marks, then take and exacto knife and cut a champfer on the inside edge removing all burrs. use the sandpaper to remove the sharp outer edge, cold blue and wala

DING DING DING DING
    Thats the answer I was for. That dosent sound to bad. I may have to give it a try on the spare barrel and see how it comes out. Thanks man.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I cut a 12 GA pump I have with a tube cutter and deburred the edge and polished it with a Dremel. Then blued the end and tapped for a sight. It's a shotgun so it wasn't that big of a deal and I did it basically for HD.

Just make sure you cut it down to 18.5" so you are certain you meet the federal requirements on your overall length.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Close the bolt, and measure from the bolt face out. Add a little bit, ie 1/4" or 1/2" to make up for any errors in your or *their* measurements.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    could some one explain exactly where one measures from?

thanks

jake

Per BATF, shotgun and rifle barrel length is measured by inserting a solid rod down the bore from the muzzle to the face of the closed, cocked bolt; then marking the rod at the muzzle & measuring the marked length after withdrawing it.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    Note, you will be cutting off any choke the gun has, because that is on the end of the barrel. But if you just want a HD shotgun that won't matter much.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i would try to do this myself but ive got a barrel with one of those rails on top that has the site on it. is there anyone who does this and is reasonable and with a decent turn around?

thanks

jake

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just get out your hacksaw.

I wanted mine to be close to length of the mag extension. I cut the barrels about 3/16" from the closest vent rib support. Cleaned everything up with a file and cold blued them.

870s-mar10-001.jpg

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The 500 I bought was cut to 19" from the 28" fullchoke barrel it was. It has a tighter pattern than Dad's 18" factory barrel at the same distances. MUCH tighter. Mine was cut with a tubing cutter and the end filed to rid it of burrs.

Top Bottom