• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    Recently bought a Ruger 10/22, wood stock but I can't shoot it because my arms aren't long enough. If we get a shorter stock, it will be too short for my husband, then he won't be able to shoot it comfortably. I'm 4' 11", he's 6'.

We saw collapsible 10/22 hollow composite stocks on-line that are adjustable so that either one of us could shoot it.

There was some talk from the sales guys at Dick's Sporting Goods where we bought the gun, to the effect that it would be easier to shoot with a wood stock (more weight) v. composite stock. The composite stock was very light, so we decided on the wood stock. The question is, would the collapsible hollow composite stock make the gun much harder to aim or sight in?? Are collapsible stocks a good idea, i.e., do they perform well, or are they awful??

Just looking for a little help from somebody who might have experience in customizing a 10/22, and these collapsible stocks in particular. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I bought my 10/22 with a tapco composite stock and have never had an issue sighting in or anything else plus it would solve your length of pull problems because of the six position stock. it will be impervious to water and humidity. my wife loves it because she can shorten it and make it more comfortable for her to shoot then I can lengthen it to my liking.

Last edited:

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    Thanks for the info tyler, it's good to know that this type of collapsible stock worked out well for you & your wife. Might be the answer in our situation too. PM sent, asking for more info.

Thanks.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I bought my 10/22 with a tapco composite stock and have never had an issue sighting in or anything else plus it would solve your length of pull problems because of the six position stock. it will be impervious to water and humidity. my wife loves it because she can shorten it and make it more comfortable for her to shoot then I can lengthen it to my liking.

This.... :yesway:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Though I don't have a collapsable stock on my 10/22, I do have the Tapco T-6 on my SKS. My reasons were actually the opposite, it was too short for me to shoot comfortably (I usually shoot the 10/22 from a bench so it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem). I love that stock on the SKS. From myself (6'3") to my wife (5'1"), we can both shoot the gun comfortably. I say go for it, the lighter weight will end up being a plus. Though a slightly heavier stock will keep it a little more stable (same as a heavy barrel will), it's not going to be something that you'll even notice after a short time with a gun that "fits" you.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    ATI Strikeforce

I have had a lot of the various composite stocks and after ATI came out with the Strikeforce model I sold off all of them expect for it. It has the 6 position stock, adjustable cheek piece and also folds to the side. I have used it for plinking and to shoot Friday Night Steel.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    There's a tapco stock for sale in the classifieds, it's not mine, I just noticed it today. You could probably save a little money buy paying for your site supporter membership $11 thru paypal, then you could view and buy from them. Well worth the money.
    I added a tapco stock to a ruger 10/22 that belongs to my kids. It fits all for of them well, me too, the whole family enjoys plinking with it.
    d475c5c9.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I currently have a TAPCO T6 stock (stock body and buffer tube, not the chassis system pictured previously) on my 10/22 using an adapter that fits into the back of a Butler Creek folding stock. It works very well. I experimented with the chassis system when it first came out, but although it is pretty well made, I found it didn't work with my iron sight & optic setup.

1022_left.jpg

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    :hijack:What kind of flash hider do you have on there shooter? My spoiled brats would probably like that! Is it the set screw kind or threaded? You have it at the shop? Sorry!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My dad built up a 10/22 with the T6 stock and we found that it allowed the rifle to fit my young nephew the best of all firearms he tried. It really adds a good pull length range to the rifle.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have had a lot of the various composite stocks and after ATI came out with the Strikeforce model I sold off all of them expect for it. It has the 6 position stock, adjustable cheek piece and also folds to the side. I have used it for plinking and to shoot Friday Night Steel.[/quote}

Got the ATI based on Simon's recommendation. Both my 6 year old son and I can now shoot the same gun. You will also want to purchase some type of low power scope or red dot.

Top Bottom