Custom firearm refinishing pic thread.Duracoat, Ceracoat, Guncoat... Gunsmithing

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I used evercoat metal glaze, (It's an automotive spot putty) eased in with a razor blade, then sanded level with 320 grit sandpaper. If I were to do it again, I'd have primed it, after I sanded it level, because the spot putty soaked up just a touch of the duracoat, as it dried, and the rollmarks are just barely visible. (Think similar to the depth of like acid etched lettering.) All in all, I'm happy with it though.

I'm interested to know how that metal glaze holds up on a firearm. We use that product at work. I also agree that there are too many roll marks on guns these days. I'd like to have some engraving done on a gp100, but Ruger has decided to advertise all over the barrel.

Jon

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I'm interested to know how that metal glaze holds up on a firearm. We use that product at work. I also agree that there are too many roll marks on guns these days. I'd like to have some engraving done on a gp100, but Ruger has decided to advertise all over the barrel.

Jon
    I see no reason it would give any issues. I may be hesitant to use it on say, a barrel, that sees a lot of heat from rapid fire. If it's good enough to put under paint that I'm guaranteeing for life, on a car that sees all kinds of environmental extremes, then it's gotta be good enough for a pistol slide! About 150 rounds through the gun since I did it. no issues thus far!

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I see no reason it would give any issues. I may be hesitant to use it on say, a barrel, that sees a lot of heat from rapid fire. If it's good enough to put under paint that I'm guaranteeing for life, on a car that sees all kinds of environmental extremes, then it's gotta be good enough for a pistol slide! About 150 rounds through the gun since I did it. no issues thus far!

Sounds good enough to me! I'll keep this in mind. How did you prep the area you applied the metal glaze?

Jon

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    1. Thank you sir!
    2. What did you deduce?
    A. that I handload.?
    B. that I need to clean my bench!?
    C. ...???

I hate to think what a blank white background says about me. :)

Thanks for the nice comments. How about some more photos? I know there are lots of great refinish jobs out there. Let's see them!

philbert001: Nice work on the fit of the beavertail. That's a skill I hope to build some day.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Pre-B CZ 75 refurbed with Cajun Gun Works adjustable sear. This one and it's negative image brother have new grips these days. Great guns for the price and good lookin thanks to the sandblaster and the airbrush.
    DSCN1257.jpg
    [/URL]

And one in flat black.

Last edited:

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Sounds good enough to me! I'll keep this in mind. How did you prep the area you applied the metal glaze?

Jon
    I have a sandblast cabinet, and I dust over everything I do. Duracoat just calls for you to simply degrease the pi$$ out of most substrates, but as an automotive painter, I trust mechanical adhesion a lot more than just surface tension!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    philbert001: Nice work on the fit of the beavertail. That's a skill I hope to build some day.
    Thank you! I had to fit a new ejector, so the gun was going to have to be refinished either way, so I thought I'd go the whole nine yards! (Plus, I intend to fit and build my next 1911 from frame and slide blanks. I think this was a great trial run, to see if I had the confidence and skills, before I bought a grand worth of parts!)

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County

Pre-B CZ 75 refurbed with Cajun Gun Works adjustable sear. This one and it's negative image brother have new grips these days. Great guns for the price and good lookin thanks to the sandblaster and the airbrush.
    DSCN1257.jpg
    [/URL]

And one in flat black.
    Nice work! Which one is Arnold, and which one is Danny Devito!?

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I know by law you have to keep the serial number but i also thought you had to keep the makers name as well. Is this not so can you get rid of everything short of the serial number? Just wondering. Also i think this is a good thread it should be a Official one.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I know by law you have to keep the serial number but i also thought you had to keep the makers name as well. Is this not so can you get rid of everything short of the serial number? Just wondering. Also i think this is a good thread it should be a Official one.
    I think we are good!

"Title 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Section 923(i) and Title 27 Code of
    Federal Regulations (CFR), section 178.92 specify identification
    markings that licensed importers and manufacturers are required to
    place on firearms imported or manufactured. Section 922(k) makes
    it unlawful for any person to possess or receive any firearm which
    has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed,
    obliterated, or altered, and has, at any time, been shipped or
    transported in interstate or foreign commerce"

on an NFA firearm, NONE of the markings are allowed to be moved altered or obliterated... not just the serial number.

on a non NFA firearm, the serial number may not be moved altered or obliterated. Other manufacturer markings are not so prohibited.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011

DSCN1257.jpg
    [/URL]

And one in flat black.

Nice looking CZs there. Really like the Tan/FDE color and Black tone on nearly everything and this is no different.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

DSCN1257.jpg
    [/URL]

And one in flat black.

Nice work on those. Did you source the pre-Bs from Robertson's? That's where I got my three from. What grips did you end up going with? One of these days I'll get around to photographing the other two that were refinished and post those. One has a silver slide, black frame and the other has a dark silver frame and a blued slide. Both of those are running CajunGunWorks trigger kits too.

Top Bottom