• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eh, probably a good match for him, but yes, from only viewing that (I have no other knowledge of her or the situation up to that point) she could certainly use a lesson in appearing to be someone could evoke some empathy from the public. She came across as quite angry, which doesn't help her or him in the court of public opinion.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In a case of siding with the press or the interviewee, I side with the interviewee. Even Hitler was misquoted. :)

Everyone today with a blog or a youtube channel and a cellphone is now a professional journalist.

**** em all.
    To be fair, I'm sure if I was in his position right now, I'm sure I'd be less than courteous too. And DoggyMama probably would have something to say as well, although she wouldn't have had her cellphone glued to her face. But she's a redhead so... :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    WTH! It's up to other people to come up with a way to make things safe?

I thought people have already did that? Didn't people quit there job because those things weren't being done?
    I don’t expect people who know nothing about firearms to know the safety rules. But I do expect that no one who doesn’t know the rules should be handling them. And that’s obviously not enforceable 100% of the time. This isn’t the first such instance of a negligent discharge on a movie set.

So I think that to get the realism of firearms use in movies with actors who don’t know **** about guns and safety, maybe they need to stop using guns that are capable of firing bullets. They can modify those firearms to fire only blanks. That’s just pragmatic. A way to handle the fact that these progressive anti-gun actors don’t seem to think it’s their responsibility to handle these props safely.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I don’t expect people who know nothing about firearms to know the safety rules. But I do expect that no one who doesn’t know the rules should be handling them. And that’s obviously not enforceable 100% of the time. This isn’t the first such instance of a negligent discharge on a movie set.

So I think that to get the realism of firearms use in movies with actors who don’t know **** about guns and safety, maybe they need to stop using guns that are capable of firing bullets. They can modify those firearms to fire only blanks. That’s just pragmatic. A way to handle the fact that these progressive anti-gun actors don’t seem to think it’s their responsibility to handle these props safely.
    My issue is at the 2 min mark he says how rare it is for this to happen and then calls for "new measures" to take place to keep people safe.

I don't understand how "new measures" would help if they already chose to not follow the measures already in place.

Seems like someone trying to place the responsibility on someone else.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My issue is at the 2 min mark he says how rare it is for this to happen and then calls for "new measures" to take place to keep people safe.

I don't understand how "new measures" would help if they already chose to not follow the measures already in place.

Seems like someone trying to place the responsibility on someone else.
    Baldwin sure seems to think it wasn’t his responsibility at all. He was handed a real firearm and he handled it like he expected everyone else was doing their jobs. And they didn’t. That is indeed his responsibility too. Especially his when he’s the guy pointing it at people and pulling the trigger. There is a chain of responsibility there, and the chain ends with him.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Baldwin sure seems to think it wasn’t his responsibility at all. He was handed a real firearm and he handled it like he expected everyone else was doing their jobs. And they didn’t. That is indeed his responsibility too. Especially his when he’s the guy pointing it at people and pulling the trigger. There is a chain of responsibility there, and the chain ends with him.
    It also sounds like he was part of the decision to replace the people who were trying to do their job, with people who didn't do their job.

If that's true he was even more responsible

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Whoever asked the question would Baldwin have checked the cylinder if the scene called for him to put the muzzle to his head and pull the trigger was spot on. Baldwin can blame everyone ahead of him in the chain of events but ultimately he pulled the trigger. With a real gun with unverified ammunition pointed at fellow human beings. There is simply no excuse whatsoever.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If the movie crew (from the top down,) didn't follow safety rules, then they are all liable. Even the poor dead lady and injured guy. THEY should all pay, if this was witnessed and allowed to continue!

The difference between a movie set and you or I at the range is that you or I will be immediately disciplined if caught breaking safety protocol. That discipline will be harsh. At the very least disqualified from shooting for the day, if not something more permanent.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    My definition of "again and again" seems to be a lot different than yours.
    I have been in many films with functional firearms and can conservatively say over 1000 blanks fired and the industry rules were always strictly followed and no one was shot or any ND's. I am not privy to the rules given to this crew but I feel confident in saying that they broke most if not of them and that if they had followed them this thread would not exist. Having said that if you think "again and again" means 3 times in 10s of thousands of blanks discharged over over 20 years you probably believe 2 also meant the same so we will have to just disagree.

Digital effects will take over at some point and it will make scenes with firearms safer and save a lot of time, labor, and money.

There is much done with set dressing, props, special effects, wardrobe, etc on set that will never be seen by the camera. In conversation with many people much higher up on the food chain than I am I have been told that it is to help the actors feel their roles and help their reactions for the camera. I suspect blanks help in that regard.
    I have tens of thousands of rounds fired and don’t have any incidents, let alone 3...

You people do whatever you want... I don’t care, it’s your life and if someone is stupid enough to stand in front of an actual firearm and trust that someone else has loaded blanks into it that’s their choice. There is no reason, with our technology and abilities, any human being should stand in front of a functional firearm and have another human being pull a trigger... I don’t care if it doesn’t have the magazine in, I’m not trusting anybody to aim any weapon at me at any time for any reason.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Discharging a blank in a prop gun is not an inherently dangerous act. It's been done millions of times over a century of moviemaking with fewer injuries in that entire history than we have shark attacks in a given year. It is an utterly and completely innocuous and safe act for an actor to discharge a blank in a prop gun, specifically because of the whole chain of professionals whose job it is to make that act safe.

No malice aforethought, no duty of care, no liability as the trigger-puller.

Pointing a real gun with blanks at another human, and pulling the trigger, is an inherently dangerous act. That's why movie sets have so many rules around how it is to be done.

Alec Baldwin, a person in a position of responsibility on a movie set:

1) Accepted a firearm handed to him by someone whom he knew - or should have known - lacked the workplace authority to do so,

2) Pointed that suspect firearm at a human being, and

3) Cocked the hammer, pulled the trigger, and sent a bullet through her, ending her life.

The jury doesn't have to care how many times this has been done safely before. All that need matter to them, is that Halyna Hutchins is dead through no fault of her own.

Firing a real gun with blanks at another human is not "an utterly and completely innocuous and safe act," as you assert. If that were true, Halyna Hutchins would be alive.

This may be super hard for you to figure out, but it's not going to be too difficult for a jury.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    'Hollywood armorer', two words that don't go together
    The funny thing is that unless it is a big shoot em up show the armor is a part time guy that may only be there for a couple of days. It is funny to stand back and watch how the big wigs interact with him because 90 percent of the time just by looking at them it is clear that they do not share the same values and he is an intimidating outsider. I have never been on a show where anyone ever went out of their way to challenge him or cross any of his lines, step on his grass, pee in his pool, or touch his guns without his permission and always in his sight line. . Why do I keep saying him.......In my career they have always been guys over 45, gun guys who found money on film sets, not kids looking for a title or wanting to show daddy what they can do. There are probably female armors out there, and good ones I just have not met any of them yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom