• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It seems like the biggest topic in the news right now is this measles "epidemic". I would say that it has progressed nearly to hysteric levels.

Is the measles virus something to be hysterical about? Parents have been dealing with this infection for a very long time. Centuries ago, I could understand the hysteria. Nutrition was lacking, as was sanitation. Medical care was still in the dark ages. People were using mercury for everything (we are still in the dark ages, on that count).

We can get a small glimpse into the predominate mindset of the 1960's:

[video=youtube;ZaKgoObr2cc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKgoObr2cc[/video]

Measles was a small pit-stop on the road to adult-hood. They treated it the way my parents treated chickenpox when I was a kid of the 80's. Take the week off work/school. Get plenty of rest and fluids. Watch for signs of serious danger, but mostly just chill out. No big deal.

We are treating a few cases of measles like the movie 28 Days Later.

28-days-later-zombie.jpg

Our parents and grandparents treated it like a sitcom.

6a00d8357f3f2969e201b7c73e2638970b-pi

According to the CDC, measles has a 0.1-0.2% mortality rate. There is only a 0.1% chance of brain swelling, which would likely very rarely result in any kind of permanent damage if the child is monitored and treated appropriately. Last I read, the common flu was at a 0.2% mortality rate.

I would say that this hysteria has been created quite purposefully. The government has been known to do so in the past.

During the 2003 flu season "the manufacturers were telling us that they weren't receiving a lot of orders for vaccine,"Dr. Glen Nowak, associate director for communications at CDC's National Immunization Program, told National Public Radio. "It really did look like we needed to do something to encourage people to get a flu shot."

This is nothing but government fear-mongering, and it is working. We need to stop letting it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What says INGO about government mandated quarantines?

This was a common tool used to limit measles outbreaks pre-vaccine.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is this our "Measles on the Horizon..." thread?

alright, tell me what gas mask and hazmat suit I need to protect from the new world-ender

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This was a common tool used to limit measles outbreaks pre-vaccine.

You have a source for this? You'll need to show that A) Government quarantines were "common", and B) These quarantines weren't already voluntarily taking place without the mandates.

As for quarantines, I fully believe in quarantining your sick child. My family is very careful to do so, without any government mandates.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There is no rational, reasonable or logical reason to not vaccinate your children and keep them and others safe from becoming a statistic. While I do not approve of forced vaccination, it is the intelligent thing to do. Clean floors and decent food will not stop disease. It is this magical thinking that will someday lead to a serious and deadly pandemic being unleashed on us.

[video=youtube_share;RfdZTZQvuCo]http://youtu.be/RfdZTZQvuCo[/video]

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    People are frightened that a disease that was eliminated in our country has returned. People having kids now have no experience with the disease because it was completely eradicated before. Unfamiliar diseases are scary, and the 24-hour news cycle needs stuff to talk about.

Of course, it's returned as a result of (Jenny) McCartheyism and pseudo-science...

:popcorn:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm not engaging the vaccine discussion today, ladies. You're not ready for that anyways, if the best you've got is the words of your favorite magicians.

This thread is not about vaccines. It is about government-manufactured hysteria and a nation of girly-men.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This thread is not about vaccines. It is about government-manufactured hysteria and a nation of girly-men.

Hey its just a federal bureaucracy admitting that they use emotion to manipulate the public and spur business for their corporate cronies. Better do exactly as they say! You don't want to end up like one of those bowling pins, do ya?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you can cite the Brady Bunch, I can cite dozens of radio programs from the '40s and '50s with references to, and humor surrounding quarantines.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I'm not engaging the vaccine discussion today, ladies. You're not ready for that anyways, if the best you've got is the words of your favorite magicians.

But how can you avoid engaging in discussion about the hysteria caused by this vital outbreak without discussing obvious cause of the virus's resurgence (anti-vaccination nonsense)? If anti-vaxxers embraced empiricism, we wouldn't be seeing the current hysterics, because the virus would have remained "eradicated."

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    There is no rational, reasonable or logical reason to not vaccinate your children and keep them and others safe from becoming a statistic. While I do not approve of forced vaccination, it is the intelligent thing to do. Clean floors and decent food will not stop disease. It is this magical thinking that will someday lead to a serious and deadly pandemic being unleashed on us.

[video=youtube_share;RfdZTZQvuCo]http://youtu.be/RfdZTZQvuCo[/video]

How will it release a deadly pandemic? If vaccinations keep you safe than what are you worried about? How will a very small percentage of unvaccinated people kill off the millions of vaccinated? If you think vaccines work, than you have nothing to worry about.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If you can cite the Brady Bunch, I can cite dozens of radio programs from the '40s and '50s with references to, and humor surrounding quarantines.

I provided statistics for my specific claims.

If you disagree that measles was less than hysterical in the 60s then just say so and we will have that discussion.

I do disagree that government mandates were often used and enforced for quarantines at that time. I read that people often did so voluntarily.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    But how can you avoid engaging in discussion about the hysteria caused by this vital outbreak without discussing obvious cause of the virus's resurgence (anti-vaccination nonsense)? If anti-vaxxers embraced empiricism, we wouldn't be seeing the current hysterics, because the virus would have remained "eradicated."

The cause is irrelevant to the hysteria. They are two unrelated discussions. Either the hysteria is appropriate or it is not. Discuss.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    The cause is irrelevant to the hysteria. They are two unrelated discussions. Either the hysteria is appropriate or it is not. Discuss.

It's appropriate to be scared because most of us have no experience in dealing with this virus, because it hasn't been endemic in our borders for decades. Anti-vaxxers have fueled their own completely fabricated brand of hysteria, which has caused a resurgence in this virus. Unreasonable anti-vaccination hysteria has led to a completely reasonable fear of a virus that has no place in modern America.

Now, is the media fear-mongering for ratings reasonable? No. Unfortunately, journalistic integrity in this day is all but dead.

Top Bottom