Couple of pictures from recent backpacking trip.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Deam Wilderness, between Christmas and New Years.

P1070410_tonemappedccbw+%28Large%29.jpg

P1070430bw+%28Large%29.jpg

P1070622_tonemappedbw+%28Large%29.jpg

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    fun

Could be the road to the firetower- yes?

Where did you park? Did you just go back in far enough to be "stealthy?"

Wow- I bet you had the place to yourself too!

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Great Pics was there in the fall (lot less snow) Would like to go in the winter but would want to stay close to my truck till I was comfortable with my camping skills/equipment.

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I camped at Chain O Lakes on the 29th of dec. when we had the snow. LL Bean 0 down mummy and my Mountain Hardware Drifter 2. Cross country skied in not enough snow for the snow shoes. Glad to know theirs someone else in Indiana who love to winter camp. I haven't slept under just a tarp yet.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Could be the road to the firetower- yes?

Where did you park? Did you just go back in far enough to be "stealthy?"

Wow- I bet you had the place to yourself too!
    I parked at the parking lot right before you get to the fire tower. First night I way back on of the loops, but I stayed in a designated camp site. So probably not so stealthy. Second night I left the trail and went off several hundred yards. (So probably stealthy.) I did pretty much have the place to myself. I crossed paths with one or two people the 3 days I was there.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Great Pics was there in the fall (lot less snow) Would like to go in the winter but would want to stay close to my truck till I was comfortable with my camping skills/equipment.
    Totally a great place to practice. All of the trails loop, so you're never really too far away. One point though. The trails are not "blazed" like an other parks. (Markings on the trees.) If you have a lot of fresh snow on the ground this can make it difficult at spots to stay on the trail. Not really to bad though, just something to be aware of.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Camped down there two winters ago with Boy Scouts for our winter rondevious.. Temp was -16 at the Bloomington airport that weekend. Be Prepared was never more true.
    That's crazy cold. My temps never got below 25. I had a 0 degree down bag. I really was roasty toasty. Coldest I've been out was around 4 degrees.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I camped at Chain O Lakes on the 29th of dec. when we had the snow. LL Bean 0 down mummy and my Mountain Hardware Drifter 2. Cross country skied in not enough snow for the snow shoes. Glad to know theirs someone else in Indiana who love to winter camp. I haven't slept under just a tarp yet.
    WInter camping? I love it! One of my favorite times to get out. (Fall is #1 Winter and spring tied for #2 followed by Summer in at #4)
    If your bag is otherwise warm enough the tarp deal really is pretty nice. Needs to be a clear night, or a fairly large tarp to keep snow from blowing in on you though. Love the fact that there are no bugs so I actually can use my tarp.
    Still haven't got up to do the Chain O lakes. I didn't realize they had hiking trails. I'd like to get up there this year with my kayak.
    I trudged through the snow, it's been years since I've done the cross country skiing.

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    WInter camping? I love it! One of my favorite times to get out. (Fall is #1 Winter and spring tied for #2 followed by Summer in at #4)
    If your bag is otherwise warm enough the tarp deal really is pretty nice. Needs to be a clear night, or a fairly large tarp to keep snow from blowing in on you though. Love the fact that there are no bugs so I actually can use my tarp.
    Still haven't got up to do the Chain O lakes. I didn't realize they had hiking trails. I'd like to get up there this year with my kayak.
    I trudged through the snow, it's been years since I've done the cross country skiing. (Sorry I don't know how to highlight)

There are hiking trails but you have to camp at camp sites. I parked at the camp ground and hiked back to the canoe camp, about 1.5 miles. A year ago last fall I kayaked 45 min. back to the canoe camp, spent the night and got up about 4:00am and hiked the 1.5 miles with my headlamp in the rain to be back to my truck to be at work that morning. If we get another good snow I want to go up and do the North country trail Manistee loop, I did it last May. Fantastic trip.

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    Some friends and I recently went winter camping in the Deam. The temps were around 15-20 at the coldest. However, it did get rather windy one evening. Overall, winter camping is fun if you have the right gear.

El T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Fishers
    Looks like one of the benches on the Sycamore Loop.
    Those pine-stands are nice, but burning pine in the cold sucks. Those logs burn up like cotton.

Top Bottom