Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    And where do you suppose that $600 number came from? :dunno:

Could it possibly be that $600 ÷ 40 hours = $15 per hour that democrats have been clamoring for as a minimum wage?

Nah. It couldn't be that. It must just be a total coincidence.
    There you go! I forgot about that. Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing this. Yep.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    And where do you suppose that $600 number came from? :dunno:

Could it possibly be that $600 ÷ 40 hours = $15 per hour that democrats have been clamoring for as a minimum wage?

Nah. It couldn't be that. It must just be a total coincidence.

Makes perfect sense. And that is $15 per hour on top of whatever their unemployment pays.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Makes perfect sense. And that is $15 per hour on top of whatever their unemployment pays.

And since it's coming from .gov, it masks the effect that a $15/hr minimum wage would have on businesses that typically employ minimum wage workers. If you've gotten used to getting $15/hr (above and beyond the regular UI) for doing nothing for awhile, why would you want to go back to work at $10/hr?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Making a career out of getting fat and lazy at home..... AND actually getting a decent paycheck.

What classes should I take to accomplish this? :dunno:

I am doing all of that about half the time and don't need government checks to do it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Indiana unemployment maximum is $390, Minnesota is $467. So that extra $600 is pretty huge.

Republicans at the time wanted to have language in the bill that you could not make more on enhanced unemployment than you were making via employment but gave up the effort in recognition that it was important to get money in people's hands quickly and fighting that particular battle with the Dems would have taken too much time

There seems to be some deficiency in Democrats that prevents them from understanding moral hazard

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I think they absolutely meant to do it. Like the drug dealer saying, "The first hit is free." Get them used to getting by on government largesse and they have no incentive to get off it.
    My opinion is that the stimulus payment was the government calming the masses.
    Here's a nice chunk of money for 6 months, relax, everything is going to be fine.
    Buying some time to figure out how to fight the virus, stabilize the economy and restore public confidence.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My opinion is that the stimulus payment was the government calming the masses.
    Here's a nice chunk of money for 6 months, relax, everything is going to be fine.
    Buying some time to figure out how to fight the virus, stabilize the economy and restore public confidence.

How pure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom