d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I saw a report on Wednesday that nicotine may decrease the odds of contracting the disease. Report out of France, I believe.

(Watch for a run on nicotine patches and lozenges)

I've seen a few articles on this as well. Last one I read I'm almost positive was out of Israel. They were giving DRs and nurses Nicotine patches to wear as a preventative

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Who you talking to here? Never stopped going out, essential work. Just went to the cigar shop yesterday to see the boys...

That sounds like a euphemism.

bill.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I saw a report on Wednesday that nicotine may decrease the odds of contracting the disease. Report out of France, I believe.

I've seen a few articles on this as well. Last one I read I'm almost positive was out of Israel. They were giving DRs and nurses Nicotine patches to wear as a preventative

Way back in post #3503...

I always figured my smokeless tobacco habit would kill me, not save me:dunno:...

Nicotine appears to protect against coronavirus, French researchers find

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I think you have to combine the nicotine with lots of wine to be effective,:laugh:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    https://www.theindianalawyer.com/ar...-action-suit-seeking-covid-19-related-damages

Student offers up class action for IU students claiming damages for "services not received" due to the move to off-campus, remote instruction due to the virus.

My opinion- the university should refund, pro-rata, fees for living on campus, and any activity fees for activities that were cancelled, but if you're going to keep the credits, you owe the money.

My daughter's college refunded room and board fees, pro-rata. I was satisfied with that.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I think you have to combine the nicotine with lots of wine to be effective,:laugh:

Wine has too low of an alcohol content.:rolleyes:

Bourbon is the better choice. Preferably a barrel proof one up in the hand sanitizer % range.:yesway:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    https://www.theindianalawyer.com/ar...-action-suit-seeking-covid-19-related-damages

Student offers up class action for IU students claiming damages for "services not received" due to the move to off-campus, remote instruction due to the virus.

My opinion- the university should refund, pro-rata, fees for living on campus, and any activity fees for activities that were cancelled, but if you're going to keep the credits, you owe the money.

My daughter's college refunded room and board fees, pro-rata. I was satisfied with that.

Many colleges and universities are doing just that - refunding room and board fees. The ones that don't are facing lawsuits.
    The credits get more complicated with classes that have lab work involved or those that use equipment only available on campus. Most classes are simply shifted to online and the credits can be earned and paid for.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Interesting read. Will be more interesting to see how things play out. I understand the students position, as well as the schools. I know there are many contracts with Force Majeure clauses, but have no idea whether those would come into play in a situation such as these.

I agree with your comment about keeping the credits/owing the fees. My wife works for IUPUI. One of the biggest issues they've seen is students requesting refunds for parking permits. I guess it goes hand-in-hand with requesting tuition refunds.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Speaking of research... ok, not really.

Anecdotally, my extended social circle includes people who've had COVID and people who were convinced they had had COVID, but were never counted as presumptive positive. As the antibody test becomes more available, some of the convinced-COVID people are getting tested.

As of today, anecdotally, the number of convinced-COVID people who do not have the antibodies exceeds the number of actually-positive and presumptive-positive COVID people that I know.

Anecdotally, that's interesting to me. The significant overlap of symptoms with other maladies makes the diagnosis complicated. Also, it means people who may think they are immune may not be taking the appropriate precautions out of a false sense of security.

Anecdotally.
    Where are they getting the antibody test?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Don't know.

I believe there are labs all over that have the ability and capacity.

There are a few good tests out there now (Abbott, Ortho, Roche and ?) and a crap load of poor ones. I wouldn't even bother with the poor ones since you can't trust the results. If the sensitivity and specificity are not at least 99.5% they probably are not worth trusting.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There are a few good tests out there now (Abbott, Ortho, Roche and ?) and a crap load of poor ones. I wouldn't even bother with the poor ones since you can't trust the results. If the sensitivity and specificity are not at least 99.5% they probably are not worth trusting.

The people that I know of who did this have the means and access to the right ones.

In one instance, the employer had particular interests in determining which employees had the antibodies and access to the best resources to make that determination.

No test is foolproof. For that matter, my other friends who tested positive are frankly more likely to have false positives than the antibody-testers were to have false negatives.

Anecdotally.

ETA:
    I am not personally interested enough in the result to pay for antibody testing. It would not really change my current habits.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    There are also different antibodies (Immunoglobulins called IgM and IgG). The IgM are produced sooner in an infection and the IgG are produced like maybe a week later so it helps to know which antibody the test is looking at when evaluating the results.
    If you test positive for IgG and you don't have symptoms yet, you could be one of the lucky ones that won't even get symptoms.

There are other immunoglobulins like IgA, IgD and IgE and lots of subcategories like IgG1, IgG2, IgG3 etc. but the tests are focusing on the two above (M and G).

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Is there any difference in effectiveness of the different antibodies? In the typical duration they "hang out" in the body?

There are also different antibodies (Immunoglobulins called IgM and IgG). The IgM are produced sooner in an infection and the IgG are produced like maybe a week later so it helps to know which antibody the test is looking at when evaluating the results.
    If you test positive for IgG and you don't have symptoms yet, you could be one of the lucky ones that won't even get symptoms.

There are other immunoglobulins like IgA, IgD and IgE and lots of subcategories like IgG1, IgG2, IgG3 etc. but the tests are focusing on the two above (M and G).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom