Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thoughts?

Never listen to a politician. Do what YOU believe is best for YOU.

"...best for YOU."

What if what is best for me is, because I am healthy, to be part of the team and to think of others with greater risk and greater exposure than me?

I get it, we all make our choices, but "best for ME" should seldom be the most important thing we consider.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm in the house for the next 10 days. The virus has a 2-14 day incubation period. The spike in positive tests in a couple of weeks is going to be a mass of people catching it this weekend. Can't think of anything I need worth the risk.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    4 carriers are currently home. So in this case yes they could have sent an entire replacement crew.

Back in October it was 6 docked at Norfolk.
    https://breakingdefense.com/2019/10...s-are-at-the-dock-hill-presses-for-oversight/

These aren't model T's that rolled off an assembyline, smoke. Almost all of them were manufactured years apart with unique different technology. Their reactors are likely different as well as many other systems. People couldn't necessarily step into the same jobs on a different ship. If this were the Ford, there would likely be no one else with electromagnetic catapult experience for example. Air Crews could probably be interchanged but less likely the guys in the engineering spaces could. If they did go into harms way, fire fighting is likely different from ship to ship and the new crew would not have drilled the new procedures and might not even know them. It would be a cluster

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So the Navy has the absolute bare minimum of qualified people for that job? Like only one qualified person for each ship for each job? That would be pretty poor planning, or actually downright s****y planning.

Think of sailors like a billet. They are able to be shaped to fit many jobs, but they aren't good for much until after they're 'machined'

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    "...best for YOU."

What if what is best for me is, because I am healthy, to be part of the team and to think of others with greater risk and greater exposure than me?

I get it, we all make our choices, but "best for ME" should seldom be the most important thing we consider.

Well, I guess we have different opinions on this, cause I consider what is best for society to also be best for me as well. Not infecting my neighbors and parents is best for me. Not infecting random strangers is best for me. What’s best for me is usually best for us all, other than maybe a few exceptions.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    These aren't model T's that rolled off an assembyline, smoke. Almost all of them were manufactured years apart with unique different technology. Their reactors are likely different as well as many other systems. People couldn't necessarily step into the same jobs on a different ship. If this were the Ford, there would likely be no one else with electromagnetic catapult experience for example. Air Crews could probably be interchanged but less likely the guys in the engineering spaces could. If they did go into harms way, fire fighting is likely different from ship to ship and the new crew would not have drilled the new procedures and might not even know them. It would be a cluster

I understand this.

[FONT=&quot]WASHINGTON (AP) — Nearly 3,000 sailors aboard a U.S. [/FONT]aircraft carrier[FONT=&quot] where the [/FONT]coronavirus[FONT=&quot] has spread will be taken off the ship by Friday, Navy officials said Wednesday as they struggle to quarantine crew members in the face of an outbreak.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly, however, made it clear that while several thousand will leave the ship, other sailors will remain on board in order to continue to protect the ship and run critical systems.

[/FONT]
    In other words they are doing what the captain said needed done.

[FONT=&quot]Modly and Adm. Michael Gilday, the chief of naval operations, declined to say how long the ship will be sidelined. But if crew members are required to be quarantined for 14 days, on a rotational basis, the Roosevelt could be out of duty for weeks

[/FONT]
    He should have not made it public,but he was making the right call getting sailors off the ship and taking it out of service. It was the only choice as the navy has clearly done exactly that now.

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2020/04/01/us-warship-captain-seeks-crew-isolation-coronavirus-spreads/

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Actually have it and refuse to stay put? I'm fine with this.
    I am to an extent. Where does that line get drawn? When does the normal flu become a reason to slap an ankle bracelet on someone? Does having HIV mean we can cut off your junk to prevent the spread of it?

For the record I think people who are infected should be quarantined, but I think the future implications of doing so may be something we don’t like.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How does the ankle monitor system work? Public monitor and private sales, or both private sales and monitor?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am to an extent. Where does that line get drawn? When does the normal flu become a reason to slap an ankle bracelet on someone? Does having HIV mean we can cut off your junk to prevent the spread of it?

For the record I think people who are infected should be quarantined, but I think the future implications of doing so may be something we don’t like.

We have something like a 244 year history of a country of not locking people up for the flu. We can cross the bridge of what is serious enough for this when it comes up...like most legal issues.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This right here is where the conspiracy is! You can see the singular control behind what we are fed, except for a few leaks that get out. And the shame of it is we are still being told an N95 mask won't help and that you don't need one. Of course a bandana will help, but that idea was put down too early on.

If we would have all put on masks (not just because it's airborne but to train us to not touch our face and establish some national unity) we wouldn't have to shutdown as much as we did. But we're too good to wear masks. I can tell you it's kind of humiliating to wear mask and gloves into Fresh Market when no one else is, but glad I did.

You can see the unified control of what we hear and that's a problem. Thankful for all the opinions on here!

This is where that 'freedom' thing comes in. We didn't wait for the government to tell us or to permit us. Based on common sense, my wife and I decided it would be advisable to be masked in public settings like the grocery store. She made us five triple layer surgical type masks apiece, so that some can be in decontamination while we still have some available should we have to go out. If others thought we were over-reacting, that was their prerogative - no skin off us

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/world/coronavirus-news-updates.html
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-cloth-masks-recommendation/

C.D.C. says all Americans should wear masks. Trump says the rule is voluntary.

President Trump said at his daily White House briefing on Friday that the Centers for Disease Control recommended that Americans use basic “non-medical, cloth” masks on a voluntary basis.

“You can do it. You don’t have to do it. I’m choosing not to do it,” Mr. Trump said. “It’s only a recommendation.”

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

This is always the point of contention. We have locked up people before whom we believed were a danger to the country. Get enough people scared, they’re likely to agree to almost anything if they think it will keep them safe (and it’s some other guy that’s getting locked up).

I’m ok with people whom have had objective, positive diagnosis being forcibly quarantined, I guess.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At the end of it all I think leadership is just making guesses about the virus and passing them off as decisions. The trouble with that is after they are wrong a few times and the "curve" doesn't behave like they were guessing, people will start to lose confidence. In manufacturing you make guesses, it's part of dealing with the unknown.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yes. But be aware you need to be really careful when taking it on and off,and also need to keep it sanitized.You can find a guide here....https://www.ibtinc.com/how-to-clean-reusable-3m-respirators/

In short 1/3 a cup of bleach per gallon,followed by a rinse in warm clean water. Filters can not be treated,and need to be removed prior to soaking. If you do not have removable filters(some are disposable types)you just need to wipe it down with the bleach solution and rinse it. I would cover the filters with plastic wrap and wear gloves and another mask while doing either type.

If you're referring to your link, it says 1 oz (30ml) of household bleach to 2 gal (7.5 liters) of water. That's a one to 256 dilution, not 1 to 3. I have other information that recommends 1 to 32 bleach to water for all disinfecting. Don't want to be pedantic, but 1 to 3 is strong enough to do some harm to people and equipment. Could you clarify whether you were referring to something other than the 3M link in the above post

Correction: IBT link about 3M equipment

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom