Conventional GPS or Smart Phone GPS Apps for hunting in the middle of no where?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So the guys and I were talking about a hunting trip this year. The old stories came out and thoughts of being lost in the woods were discussed, not that it has or ever could happen to any of us. :rolleyes: During the discussion, we were talking about the options out there for GPS devices either on smart phones, or by satellite.

My first question is:
    If we've all got smart phones, is there any reason for us to buy regular hand held GPS units?

Part two:
    We're going to hunting in a place that doesn't have cell phone coverage, or at least we have to assume that it won't. I'm not completely sure how the GPS on smart phones works, but would the GPS still work in an area where the smart phone can't make a call?

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I would take both. You can take extra AA batteries for the GPS and only use the phone when there is a signal to save the battery. GPS is not that expensive, at least a basic unit.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We saw the Bushnell GPS backtrackers brand new on ebay for $35 of less shipped to your door. The debate we were having is if it's even needed or if the phone could handle it all by itself.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If you're going to put yourself in a situation where you could legitimately get lost, seperated, injured or otherwise stranded I wouldn't rely on a phone in the Rockies. I'd personally pack a variety of Quadrangle maps, topo maps and some aerial photos of specific locations *AND* a good GPS. All of which would fit in a gallon ziplock bag - and could save your life or at least keep you from wasting 2-3 days of your vacation stumbling around.

I'm not familiar with the low-end GPS units so I can't speak on how reliable/effective they are, maybe others can?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If we've all got smart phones, is there any reason for us to buy regular hand held GPS units?

No

would the GPS still work in an area where the smart phone can't make a call?

With the right mapping application, yes. TomTom, MotionX, and CoPilot are iphone mapping apps that can cache maps so that they need nothing other than a GPS satellite fix.

I regularly find myself in previously unknown locales, many of which make reliable GPS reception a faint hope. I haven't carried a standalone GPS in 4 years, my backup is a compass, topo map, and orienteering skills.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    No

With the right mapping application, yes. TomTom, MotionX, and CoPilot are iphone mapping apps that can cache maps so that they need nothing other than a GPS satellite fix.

I regularly find myself in previously unknown locales, many of which make reliable GPS reception a faint hope. I haven't carried a standalone GPS in 4 years, my backup is a compass, topo map, and orienteering skills.

^^^^
    THIS

I sold my Garmin GPS when I went to a smart phone..

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    +1* to Yeah.

*The standalone should ONLY be ditched if you are using a premier app that downloads the maps to your device first. Ive about thrown my iphone out the window because the app lost data and suddenly I'm driving off the end of the earth.

But nice sporting GPS units have another advantage... they are shockproof and waterproof. Unless you carry your iphone in an Otterbox or lifeproof case, you are asking for trouble. one drop into the creek and there goes your GPS. Drop you Garmin into the creek? odds are it will survive the brief dunk better than your phone. Which, in that case also precludes you from making that emergency call when you get cell signal again. When Im in the woods my phone never leaves my pack unless its time to make a call. Thats what my Garmin is for.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    How about a good, old fashioned, map and compass? I guess that is probably a lost skill, but when hiking in In, or anyplace else for that matter, if there is a map available, it is used. Sometimes gps, never a phone. Most times, a phone won't work anyway.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    My understanding is that GPS on smartphones utilize cell phone towers, not satellite systems. I've been acquiring items for day hikes in some semi-remote wilderness areas. I was looking at GPS units and if you want a decent one with decent reviews for cheap, get to Dick's Sporting Goods now. They had two entry level Garmin units, the Etrex 20 and Oregon 450 on clearance. Over $70.00 cheaper than Amazon's prices. I went ahead and got one. Most pages that show reviews show an 80-90% favorable review of both models.

For wilderness safety, especially in the middle of no where, nothing works better for calling for help than a personal locator beacon. I would suggest this model:

ResQLink+ 406 Buoyant Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) | ACR ARTEX

Amazon sells them for $273.00. Battery will need replaced six years after manufactured date, five years after placed in service (you are allowed so many test signals during the lifespan), or after activating the emergency use feature. For less than $300.00 over five years, you can have total peace of mind. You hear of all these people who have plenty of money, some of them who make huge wages, end up in dying in horrible situations where such an item could have had them rescued within hours. If you search on-line, there are also places/outfitters who will rent these units as well if the price point is really too much. I plan on getting one just before I head out to the mountains later this year.

As others said, take maps. I purchased the Silva Explorer compass on a recommendation I read on INGO. Compasses I guess vary on the types of maps they are used with. That being said, if distance and location isn't an issue (ie: You know you are SE of your location, without a doubt, but you have no clue on your heading), the this compass can help you find which direction you need to go. I tested it out on some basic city maps and it was pretty cool how the thing works to get you pointed in the general direction you need to walk.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My understanding is that GPS on smartphones utilize cell phone towers, not satellite systems.

This is the way I understood it and what got me concerned about it in the first place.

I'm all for a compass and map, but where I'm going to be heading out to in Ontario I really don't have high hopes of finding a detailed topographic map of the area.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    My understanding is that GPS on smartphones utilize cell phone towers, not satellite systems.

That isn't correct. GPS chips in cell phones use signals from GPS satellites and WAAS stations, just like standalone units. Most also use cell tower triangulation to narrow the range of those satellites and stations the chip is seeking so as to speed location acquisition. They will continue to locate themselves in the absence of cell signals.

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    Personally, I would have as much as possible (GPS, Cell, and 2 compasses and maps). While it is true that a cell works with GPS and no cell signal (mine works with the app called Topo Maps), I wouldn't rely on that alone, with the iPhone and it's battery issues. Get a stand alone and a few compasses and rely on those id needed in an emergency.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm in the woods nearly every day for work. I have a Garmin and a Trimble; neither of which see the light of day. I stick with a good ole stack of topo maps and aerial photos.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I found an app, called GPS Hiker, which has been working well. The issue I have is that it drains the battery quickly, so it really couldn't be used as a navigation tool. I considered taking my GPS back, but have since decided to keep it. It wasn't too costly and I was downloading files and what not this weekend and enjoyed it for what it is. I don't see the size or weight as a significant issue for the type of hiking I plan to do starting out (day hiking). If I was going to do multi-day overnight hiking I would need a much larger pack anyway, and against I don't see this small device being a size and weight issue. So I will keep it, likely use it to track my course, and may provide waypoints on a hiking site or two as possible points of interest for others. Still, no matter if you want to use a compass and a map, or GPS, or everything, none of those devices will help you if you are injured, so everyone should consider a personal locator beacon if they really want to be safety conscious.

1966John

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    sellersburg
    My 2¢... I always carry the appropriate maps to my selected hiking area and stay up to date every six hours on where I am on them, topos that is. But for a quick reference I just use Back Country Navigator. You get onto a WiFi system, preselect the appropriate topo map section, download to your phone, then kick on the GPS in your phone. There are tricks and techniques, ins and outs, but that's the short of it.

Top Bottom