Considered "safe" to mount a handgun to a gun magnet with a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Hey guys. My Googlefu is failing me today. I've read articles online about reports of the gun discharging. Though you never know if it's just some guy trying to have a story explaining why there's a hole in his wife or something. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

41ygVb%2BgREL._SY355_.jpg

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I don't see this happening.

Magnets are only good for aligning your blood molecules in a Feng shui sort of way.

Oh. And softening your hard water without the use of salt.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Thanks guys! Just got a reply directly through Fast Draw....

"It will not interfere with the firing mechanism or safety. Should be no problem at all. That is how I keep mine. Thank you for purchasing our Fast Draw Gun Magnets."

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've demoed those gun magnets and they require a CONSIDERABLE amount of force to pull a glock away from.

If you weren't paying good attention to where your finger was, I could see an AD happening. But it's not going to be the magnet's fault, just remain conscious of the safety rules and you will be fine.

I suspect with anything other than a glock it'd be much easier to get the gun off of. That big blocky slide provides a lot of contact with the magnet and makes it a pain to get off.

Last edited:

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I often forget about how darn useful magnets can actually be.

Thanks for the reminder.

I've got a few rare earth magnets and some rubber gasket material.
    I think I could make a couple of useful items if it starts raining again!

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I've demoed those gun magnets and they require a CONSIDERABLE amount of force to pull a glock away from.

If you weren't paying good attention to where your finger was, I could see an AD happening. But it's not going to be the magnet's fault, just remain conscious of the safety rules and you will be fine.

I suspect with anything other than a glock it'd be much easier to get the gun off of. That big blocky slide provides a lot of contact with the magnet and makes it a pain to get off.

Yep. My thoughts exactly....

20150527_144730_zpsnyjpghmr.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Hunt around. There are instructions on the web on how to build your own if you have the proper materials.

Here's a good one....

[video=youtube;ud7SKqNwRc4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud7SKqNwRc4[/video]

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are you worried about pulling the trigger when removing it from the magnet, or the magnet over-riding the mechanical safeties?

@Sheepdog - that thing stay put during a collision?

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Are you worried about pulling the trigger when removing it from the magnet, or the magnet over-riding the mechanical safeties?

@Sheepdog - that thing stay put during a collision?

I was worried about the magnet overriding the mechanical safeties. And I'm sure if I wrecked hard enough, it would come off. Along with whatever else isn't secured down I suppose.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    IF, you have an inertia firing pin without a firing pin block AND and MRI machine, you can induce an accidental discharge when the gun flies across the room and smacks into the machine in just the right orientation.

Consider yourself warned.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

When did Glock start using metal in their handguns? :):

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    IF, you have an inertia firing pin without a firing pin block AND and MRI machine, you can induce an accidental discharge when the gun flies across the room and smacks into the machine in just the right orientation.

Consider yourself warned.

Are you telling me in order to be safe, I can no longer be a mobile MRI parts salesman?

Ok then. I'll be putting in my two weeks tomorrow. :):

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    Yep. My thoughts exactly....

20150527_144730_zpsnyjpghmr.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Here's a good one....

[video=youtube;ud7SKqNwRc4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud7SKqNwRc4[/video]

That's a good looking setup for car carry, but I think I would be at least a little bit nervous with the muzzle aimed at my foot . Never a good idea to sweep body parts!! Maybe it could be mounted further back pointed straight down.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    That's a good looking setup for car carry, but I think I would be at least a little bit nervous with the muzzle aimed at my foot . Never a good idea to sweep body parts!! Maybe it could be mounted further back pointed straight down.

Its POI would actually be a couple inches to the right of my foot if that makes you feel any better. :):

But seriously, it doesn't bother me too much. 99% of the time, I have one pointed down my leg anyhow.

Top Bottom