• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    where can you get into a match around indianapolis? and how old do you have to be?

South central gun club in Freetown is about an hour from Indy. Match this Sunday. Check out shooting sports. I am not aware of an age limit. I knowvwe have teenagers come with their parents.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Great to see this thread still alive and relevant nearly five years after it was written. Need to add some words about USPSA's new Carry Optics division (opinions withheld).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Since this thread was bumbed. Don't overthink "competitive" shooting. Just go have fun. Club matches have those who are serious competitors and those who are not. USPSA for example you don't have to join the organization or even the local club. It's a great way to test out your guns and gear. Just last week I shot at a local match and used a new gun that I was considering carrying on the street. Used a strong side IWB holster. If your gun can get through a 150-200 round match with no hiccups it is probably going to be reliable when you need it.

I often bring new guns to the local steel match when I want to test them out. Guys laughed at my shooting a bright blue Kimber sapphire because I was trying to diagnose problems. One time I brought a Walther PPQ with a weaponlight because I wanted to give it a good workout before placing it on nightstand duty.

Gear doesn't have to break the bank. Midway USA sells a private Lable competition belt for $20-$25. Instructors belts are another option. Bladetech makes a holster and dual mag pouch combo for about $45. A kydex Uncle Mikes holster is about $30, add a couple dual mag pouches for another $50. Either way you are talking about $100 to get going.

I picked up my stuff used and hung it on a Midway Belt. All totaled my "competition" rig cost me $130 for belt, holster, and mag pouches. I think my dad has about $180 in his rig buying all new stuff.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Great info! And thanks to the OP for the detailed write up. Sounds like a great way to get more fun out of a range trip than 1/2 an hour and a couple boxes of ammo.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Going to my first steel match tomorrow (ACC).

Is considered gauche to pick up your brass? I assume because of time constraints, this is a no-no. What is considered proper?

Great thread, thanks!!!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Is considered gauche to pick up your brass? I assume because of time constraints, this is a no-no. What is considered proper?

Great thread, thanks!!!

I can not speak for every club but down here there is no brass picking during the match. After the match you are welcome to all you care to collect.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington

Great thread, thanks!!!
    You should have a great time! The addiction is painless and will set in by the 3rd stage. I haven't been to ACC yet. The pick up policy for brass can vary with location/event. Some is pick up as the squad ends the stage. Some is pick up after the match is over. Occasionally it is a lost brass match where no brass is picked up (haven't been to a big match like this though). ENJOY. don't sweat over the brass, you'll soon have more than you need anyway. Be safe and make some new friends.

Last edited:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    when i started shooting matches back in the 90's i started out shooting bowling pins at a local range. went as a spectator the 1st night. talked to a few shooters, more than one offered the use of their gun & ammo for me to shoot. the next few matches i shot my ruger P90DC, i picked up a used SA 1911 race gun at a local gun shop. someone recognized the gun, and i made an instant friend. i was having some issues that night with it, my new friend asked what load i was using, then offered to load up some rounds that he knew the gun was tuned for !
    i was invited out to an outdoor range to shoot the next USPSA match. again i went as a spectator, and saw how things were done, and was put with a squad of very friendly and very good shooters ( all A class & higher).
    i was hooked !! i came up with a holster, bought a uncle mikes mag carrier and a couple ed brown mags and went to the next match. well i sucked LOL but was determined to get better.
    over the next few months i picked up some used gear, old gilmore race holster, safarland inner and outer belts, and bought some new safariland mag carriers, and 4 new shooting star 10 rounds mags.

cant say that the gear made me any better, but i did improved my shooting that old single stack open gun. soon after i bought a dillon press and started reloading

i still use that same gear shooting now over 20 years later. :rockwoot:
    people still take a 2nd look at my old gear, and single stack 45

:cheers:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Looking to getting into more "dynamic" competitions. I have done 3 simple comps at my LGR, but have recently joined South Central Gun Club in hopes of completing a few steel matches soon. Also, I am taking the NRA defensive pistol course on Sept 9th

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am still confused about the magazine rules... For PRODUCTION... can you have a Mag Base Pad? Or is it bone stock?

You should read though the appendices of the USPSA rule book, which contain the equipment rules for the divisions. You can use any base-pads you want as long as the gun with an empty mag inserted fits in the box.

USPSA Handgun Rules, February 2014 Edition - APPENDIX D4 - Production Division

21.7 Magazines

Prior restrictions on magazines have been lifted. OFM and aftermarket magazines and base-pads may be used. However, any and all magazines used in competition, must fit into the USPSA box while empty and inserted in the handgun as described in item 7 of this appendix. Grip tape and/or skate board tape are specifically allowed on magazines and base-pads.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Thanks Rhino, for the note... the newest edition is Feb 2014 and some of the things I was reading may have been older. It always refers back to this illusive magical Box...

Top Bottom