• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    As extolled, a great post. I very much would like to attend and observe a match and then get started myself. Thanks again for the "low down".

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Just read this thread for the first time tonight. Good stuff!
    One thing that wasn't covered was ammo. How much ammo does one bring for a competition? What kind of ammo (FMJ, JHP, etc.)? Does it matter? Or should you just bring the cheapest stuff that runs well through your gun?

I have some hollow points in 45 acp that I want to burn through. Would it be ok to shoot that at FNS or should I not (would it not be safe to shoot steel plates with or is it against the rules)? Thanks

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have some hollow points in 45 acp that I want to burn through. Would it be ok to shoot that at FNS or should I not (would it not be safe to shoot steel plates with or is it against the rules)? Thanks

http://www.indyrange.org/media/FNS_Rules_2010-10-13.pdf

There are no restrictions on JHP bullets in the rules. I use them in 40, 9mm, and 38 Super. The ammo restrictions are >750fps to promote full destruction of the bullet and no magnums allowed.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Do you have to be a member of Atlanta Conservation Club to shoot in the matches held there (IDPA, SCSA, etc...)

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    Just came across this post. It was a big help - Thx! And, actually standing in a lane shooting the same piece of paper beats a lot of days at work!

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    Shot at my first IDPA last Saturday and had a great time at Wildcat Valley Gun Club. One thing I did not see covered in this post was the number of rounds allowed in the first mag. The group I was with called it a "Barney" round, but the first mag I was allowed 11 (1 chambered).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Shot at my first IDPA last Saturday and had a great time at Wildcat Valley Gun Club. One thing I did not see covered in this post was the number of rounds allowed in the first mag. The group I was with called it a "Barney" round, but the first mag I was allowed 11 (1 chambered).

The number of rounds allowed varies by sport and division, which is probably why you didn't see that detail here.

I'm not sure how the rules are worded in IDPA, but in USPSA for divisions that allow only 10 rounds (Production, Limited 10, and Single Stack minor power factor), you can't have more than 10 rounds in the magazine after the start signal. You're allowed to have 11 (if your mag will hold it, usually production division) before assuming one round will go into the chamber before the start signal. For unloaded starts, you are still limited to 10 rounds in those divisions in your magazines, so you've be starting with 10 rounds total.

ChadwickR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Crown Point
    This is an amazing write up, you have basically summed up all my general questions in one post, and answered them.

Are there any instructional videos or camps you would recommend for someone who is trying to get into the shooting sports?

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    This is an amazing write up, you have basically summed up all my general questions in one post, and answered them.

Are there any instructional videos or camps you would recommend for someone who is trying to get into the shooting sports?

the outdoor channel or the sportsman channels run quite a few of these matches. Tuesdays I think are first run then there are always reruns. Taran Butler, Brian Enos, have their own web sites. Probably lots more.

Forgive me if this a dupe.

Top Bottom