• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    I am thinking about trying a few events in 2014, probably USPSA, and will likely shoot my Springfield Range Officer in .45, which I just picked up and am mag shopping for. What magazines would you recommend for an otherwise stock gun? It came w/ 7 rounders - should I do 7, 8 or 10? Is there a class difference for 7 vs 8? Looking at CMC Power Mags or Power Mag + unless you can sway me towards something better for the money (Wilson? Kimber Pro? _______?)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am thinking about trying a few events in 2014, probably USPSA, and will likely shoot my Springfield Range Officer in .45, which I just picked up and am mag shopping for. What magazines would you recommend for an otherwise stock gun? It came w/ 7 rounders - should I do 7, 8 or 10? Is there a class difference for 7 vs 8? Looking at CMC Power Mags or Power Mag + unless you can sway me towards something better for the money (Wilson? Kimber Pro? _______?)

I use 8 round stainless CMC Shooting Stars. I try to buy a few more every time they go on sale at Midway.
    Chip McCormick Shooting Star Mag Base Pad 1911 Government Commander 45

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    You definitely want 8 rounders. 10 rounders would put you in L10, competing against downloaded Limited guns. I use Wilson 47D's. They have a lifetime warranty, if it ever doesn't work, they will replace it.
    Better for the money? I don't know about that, I've used them for many years and broken very few.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm no 1911 mag expert/snob, but I have willsons, both the 47ds and the new 'elite tactical' or whatever they are called. they've worked well in a couple different guns. The only CMC's I have are a couple of the 10 rounders... the follower drags fwd in those and keeps them from wanting to drop free. not sure if their 8 rounders are the same design?

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For a properly built 1911 in .45ACP, the following 8-round magazines will serve your needs with excellent reliability:

CMC (Chip McCormick): Shooting Star, Match Grade, PowerMag, PowerMag+
    Wilson: 47D, ETM
    Metalform (various models)

There are others, but I have experience with all of the above. If a gun won't function with either Wilson 47Ds or CMC PowerMags, then it's more likely a problem with the gun.

jdorp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    I am wanting to join a conservation club and start shooting competitively. I live in Fishers. Any suggestions on what club to join if I am wanting to compete? Does it matter? Are competitions usually open to any member of the association (IDPA, USPSA, etc) or do you need to be a member of the hosting club as well. Also would be interested in people's opinions on IDPA vs USPSA. Thanks!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am wanting to join a conservation club and start shooting competitively. I live in Fishers. Any suggestions on what club to join if I am wanting to compete? Does it matter? Are competitions usually open to any member of the association (IDPA, USPSA, etc) or do you need to be a member of the hosting club as well. Also would be interested in people's opinions on IDPA vs USPSA. Thanks!

In USPSA you do not have to be a member of USPSA to shoot their local or club level matches, and you do not have to be a member of the range to shoot the match. IDPA requires that you are a member of IDPA after your first match.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    You do not have to be a member of a club to compete in a match that they are hosting

You also do not have to be a member of USPSA to shoot in the level 1 club matches, but do have to be a member to get a classification

IDPA you can shoot one club match as a non member then you have to join

Close to you is the Atlanta Conservation Club and they will start up in March hosting USPSA Matches on the 4th Sunday

But within 2 hours of Fishers starting in March there will be a USPSA Match every Sunday at ranges and at Wildcat Valley outside of Lafayette they hold one on Saturdays

jdorp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Great, thank you both for the informtion. I am leaning towards joining the Atlanta CC but am also considering Fall Creek Valley CC. Thanks again for the info. Very helpful.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So anyone besides Bright offering "intro to uspsa" type courses? At first I was excited to see somebody offering such a course for a noob like me, but was immediately let down when I see their calendar shows a whopping ONE intro class in july. Seriously? ONE class a year? and why not in the spring to maximize the good weather potential?

Anyone else teaching an intro class for absoute noobs? Or do I just put on my big boy pants and go hang out and absorb while observing?

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    So anyone besides Bright offering "intro to uspsa" type courses? At first I was excited to see somebody offering such a course for a noob like me, but was immediately let down when I see their calendar shows a whopping ONE intro class in july. Seriously? ONE class a year? and why not in the spring to maximize the good weather potential?

Anyone else teaching an intro class for absoute noobs? Or do I just put on my big boy pants and go hang out and absorb while observing?

BFT offer some "day of training events" where you can book 1 hour time blocks to learn skills of your choice. I believe the next one is March 8th at MCFG and I recall seeing at least another one set up at Warsaw.
    There was another person offering "train with a grandmaster". Similar type arrangement I believe.
    ACT also offer personal training but I am not sure if it is of the upsa variety.
    There 's likely other opportunities listed too if you dig a little more.
    While I can't vouch for the 'grandmaster' mentioned above, ACT and BFT are both great people to learn from. Their prices are very affordable and the people are very knowledgeable and approachable. Don't give up yet. Sunny day upsa training may only be a call/ click away and you can wear shorts as opposed to big boy pants! Good luck.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Private instruction is one way, Instructional League is another and it is held monthly but fills quickly.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana

Training with a Grandmaster is a one on one class that I offer to anyone wanting to start USPSA type competition or anyone wanting to learn from a Grand Master how to improve their game. I can help new shooters and I have helped Master class shooters. I give class almost any
    day of the week except Sundays. I keep the cost really low just to help shooters. $100 for a 4 hr. class at South Central Gun Club.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Setup a time to work one on one with sv40sw45!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    For anyone near NE IN, the FtW club will be starting it's weekly [weakly?] Thurs night practice sessions soon. They aren't formal training, but there are experienced folks there who will give you as much or as little help as you want. A good way to get familiar with range commands, common safety practices (eg safe areas, etc) without match pressure. Usually start ~5:30 or as soon as folks can get there from work and go to ~7:00. $5.

-rvb

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    Great, thank you both for the informtion. I am leaning towards joining the Atlanta CC but am also considering Fall Creek Valley CC. Thanks again for the info. Very helpful.

If you want to shoot and practice for USPSA I would stick with AAC. Fall Creek CC is just a pistol and 100 yard rifle rang. Stand in shoot stuff. Not very good for practicing practical shooting. Everyone stands in a line and shoots then you have to ask/yell for a cold range to go jack with targets.

Top Bottom