• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, the Colts covered the Rooney rule by a lot so now they can announce Saturday as the next head coach…

(I hope not.)
    I'm certainly not implying that Saturday is the most qualified or the best person for the job.
    However, I do believe he could look really good if he is able to surround himself with other quality coaches. Along with some player personnel changes of course.
    I just really don't think we've seen how good Saturday could be if given a fair opportunity. Let's be honest the cards are always stacked against an interim coach brought in mid season

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    That seems illogical: I get it that there is NIL money, a lot of it, but nowhere near the over $40 million dollar contract, with $25 million up front that Stroud can get…
    I agree, but money and logic aren't always the deciding factor in these decisions. We have seen college athletes stay another year in school to try to win a championship or individual award in the past even before NIL money was available. The fact that he made almost 2.5 million last year and is expected to make much more next year if he returns could make his decision to stay easier than those guys in the past. It will be interesting to see what he does. My guess is he will stay in the draft, but you never know what a college kid will do.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I'm certainly not implying that Saturday is the most qualified or the best person for the job.
    However, I do believe he could look really good if he is able to surround himself with other quality coaches. Along with some player personnel changes of course.
    I just really don't think we've seen how good Saturday could be if given a fair opportunity. Let's be honest the cards are always stacked against an interim coach brought in mid season
    I agree somewhat with this. I didn't like some of his decisions, but he seems to be a good leader. I guess he might make a good HC if he is surrounded by the right people and listens to them.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I agree, but money and logic aren't always the deciding factor in these decisions. We have seen college athletes stay another year in school to try to win a championship or individual award in the past even before NIL money was available. The fact that he made almost 2.5 million last year and is expected to make much more next year if he returns could make his decision to stay easier than those guys in the past. It will be interesting to see what he does. My guess is he will stay in the draft, but you never know what a college kid will do.
    Agreed. NIL has changed things quite a bit. Players staying, as well as hitting the transfer portal, etc, to where they can capitalize. I don't blame them at all, and believe the players deserve to be able to pull in this $.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Agreed. NIL has changed things quite a bit. Players staying, as well as hitting the transfer portal, etc, to where they can capitalize. I don't blame them at all, and believe the players deserve to be able to pull in this $.
    In disagree with part of this. Especially the transfer portal. Maybe I'm old school, but when you commit to play for a team you should honor that commitment with few exceptions.
    That's one reason I respected Nick Saban for not playing kids who have openly stated intent to enter the portal in their bowl game.
    I think it once again fuels the entitlement mentality far too many already have

But that should be a discussion for another thread. This is supposed to be about the Colts.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing them draft Stetson Bennet. Obviously no way to know how he may do at the NFL level but he has proven a bunch of people wrong throughout his collegiate career.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Funny how a play can flip the switch. 49’ers Debo was tackeled by the Seahawks and they tried to twist his leg. From then on SF was running on all cylinders, before that SF was a little flat…

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That seems illogical: I get it that there is NIL money, a lot of it, but nowhere near the over $40 million dollar contract, with $25 million up front that Stroud can get…
    I had this exact discussion on Twitter. Even if the NIL money is more in 2023, the opportunity cost for pushing back NFL contract money will never be recuperated. The opportunity cost isn't in 2023 (Year 0), but rather in 2028 (Year 4), when he would be making Rookie contract year 5 money instead of the all-important, second contract year 1 money.

And that is not even considering the very real risk of injury from playing an extra year in college.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Watching Bills/Dolphins. Buffalo is really playing well so far. 14 nothing and possibly 21 nothing if the third touchdown stands up to review.

Edit: Ruled incomplete. They'll have to settle for 3.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom