• Status
    Not open for further replies.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Now Leonard is out on concussion protocol? WTF? They've got all the best equipment now to prevent that. How come they weren't getting the concussions like this when everybody was wearing leather helmets?
    People are a lot less careful climbing when they are wearing a harness than free climbing. Presumption is helmets make people feel they can hit harder and be safe

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I never trusted him to be able to win. So many great young coaches have come along while the Colts were giving Reich too many chances…
    I actually had hi hopes for Reich and have no problem putting blame for poor play (basic fundamental failures) on the players. Now Reich IMHO hasn't been stellar with his play calling or time management. But if something doesn't change quick like, he will probably be gone this year

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I actually had hi hopes for Reich and have no problem putting blame for poor play (basic fundamental failures) on the players. Now Reich IMHO hasn't been stellar with his play calling or time management. But if something doesn't change quick like, he will probably be gone this year
    Reich has never had the team ready to play at the season start. Very slow starters every year. If the employees are committing basic fundamental failures, is that not the coaches fault if he doesn’t have the team ready? Does anyone believe the team was properly prepared to start this season? Is that the players fault?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Reich has never had the team ready to play at the season start. Very slow starters every year. If the employees are committing basic fundamental failures, is that not the coaches fault if he doesn’t have the team ready? Does anyone believe the team was properly prepared to start this season? Is that the players fault?
    Maybe we just see things a little differently. IMO, the coach has to get the team mentally prepared and prepared for the individual opponents/team schemes. To some degree he has to rely on his coaching staff as he can't do it all (obviously). But ultimately he is responsible for that.
    However, the O line failing to adequately block IMO falls on the O line as players. Sure, they need to be aware of player tendencies they may see. But pass blocking is pass blocking and for what they are being paid, I see them as not playing to the level of their pay. I can't for the life of me figure out why Ryan has had so much trouble getting a handle on the ball and not fumbling it. Is he having trouble getting it from the center? Laces not in the position he needs? Feeling over rushed because the line crumbles like the walls of Jericho? Receivers dropping passes can be ball placement, coverage etc, but that's hard for me to pin on a coach so long as the route was solid. Is it the first season these guys have caught a pass?
    Players have to take some responsibility for being prepared too. Who's to say if these guys are really spending time in the play book or watching film outside of the team environment? There's a lot of dynamics at play but coaches are often considered more expendable and IMO it's not always the problem

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe we just see things a little differently.
    However, the O line failing to adequately block IMO falls on the O line as players.
    We definitely do see it differently. Many talent evaluators had the Colts with the talent to make a deep run through the playoffs. If the team is that talented and still struggles I blame the coaching and schemes the coaches develop. How do we know if the line performance is bad schemes or bad talent?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We definitely do see it differently. Many talent evaluators had the Colts with the talent to make a deep run through the playoffs. If the team is that talented and still struggles I blame the coaching and schemes the coaches develop. How do we know if the line performance is bad schemes or bad talent?
    I'm clear that there were several who predicted the Colts would be performing much better than they are right now.
    I do think it's passed time to be taking a very serious look at the coaching and schemes. I would speculate that a closer look should first be at the line coach and what current practices/film study etc look like. To evaluate if it's a coaching failure at the top or that position coach.
    That's my speculation for how that works.
    I just believe even the best players have off days or slumps, struggle with the mental game. They have to find a way to work through it and get it done. Also bad play and the mental game can be contagious

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do you think punch drunk players staggering on the field is a good look or should someone be looking out for them after a big hit?
    Lighten up Francis. It was a joke. But doesn't it seem like there are more concussions these days after they implemented the more rigorous measures to address them and prevent them?

Maybe it's like someone said earlier... The players may be placing too much stock in the protective gear and hitting harder (or in ways they shouldn't) and the gear isn't up to protecting them the way they think it will.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Lighten up Francis. It was a joke. But doesn't it seem like there are more concussions these days after they implemented the more rigorous measures to address them and prevent them?

Maybe it's like someone said earlier... The players may be placing too much stock in the protective gear and hitting harder (or in ways they shouldn't) and the gear isn't up to protecting them the way they think it will.
    I think that could be part of the problem, but I also believe more concussions went undetected years ago.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I'm clear that there were several who predicted the Colts would be performing much better than they are right now.
    I do think it's passed time to be taking a very serious look at the coaching and schemes. I would speculate that a closer look should first be at the line coach and what current practices/film study etc look like. To evaluate if it's a coaching failure at the top or that position coach.
    That's my speculation for how that works.
    I just believe even the best players have off days or slumps, struggle with the mental game. They have to find a way to work through it and get it done. Also bad play and the mental game can be contagious
    To be honest I just can't figure it out. I think we have plenty of talented players and a good coaching staff, but obviously something is wrong. I really want to see it fixed, but I'm glad I'm not the one responsible for fixing it because I have no idea how to do it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think that could be part of the problem, but I also believe more concussions went undetected years ago.
    I posted the pic of Dad in his leather helmet earlier, but this thought occurred to me. Dad was the highest scorer in the state, and he weighed 155 lbs.... as a fullback. (He was once described as "155 lbs. of human dynamite!") Now, fullbacks are what? 230 or so, and maybe up?

So we've got bigger bodies crashing into each other... it's physics.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    To be honest I just can't figure it out. I think we have plenty of talented players and a good coaching staff, but obviously something is wrong. I really want to see it fixed, but I'm glad I'm not the one responsible for fixing it because I have no idea how to do it.
    I can't figure it out either. For example, having the most expensive offensive line in the league has given us what, exactly? Are they really worth it, or do they just have really good agents? That's one side.

Another side is that they are that good, but lack leadership (player and/or coach). Look at the defense. Shaq Leonard, while not playing was still a player/coach. There's no denying that the defense has been playing better than the offense IMHO. Does the offense have a Leonard equivalent? I don't think they do at the moment. Taylor could be that, but I don't he's got the fire to do it like Leonard does.

Ideally, you'd want the QB to be that leader, but Ryan is new to the team, so you need someone in the "rank and file" to keep everyone fired up I think.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I posted the pic of Dad in his leather helmet earlier, but this thought occurred to me. Dad was the highest scorer in the state, and he weighed 155 lbs.... as a fullback. (He was once described as "155 lbs. of human dynamite!") Now, fullbacks are what? 230 or so, and maybe up?

So we've got bigger bodies crashing into each other... it's physics.
    That makes sense. They are not just bigger, but they are faster and hit harder. I read an article a few months ago that said there has been an increase in non-contact injuries to ligaments and tendons in the NFL because the athletes have gotten so strong and fast. They have better ways to build muscles and speed, but no real ways to make the ligaments and tendons stronger. They end up tearing their own ligaments and tendons.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom