• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TBaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    I'm trying to decide on which compact .380 to buy. I'm looking at the Colt Mustang and the Sig 238. I've got a Ruger LCP 380 but own a few 1911 style pistols. Wanting to go with something more in line with the 1911 style. Any thoughts on which to go with?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I've shot a Mustang 2 & an LCP, but not the 238. I like the Mustang2 mmuch more than the LCP. I'd still like to get my hands on the 238 & feel the difference...

:popcorn:

Dino81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Hobart
    Iirc sig bought the mustang patent, and improved it. That being said, I had one, loved it but sold it. Never any problems with it. A friend of mine had the mustang and he had problems with his.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Iirc sig bought the mustang patent, and improved it. That being said, I had one, loved it but sold it. Never any problems with it. A friend of mine had the mustang and he had problems with his.
    This is what I have heard as well. Sig is currently on their 3rd gen mags. I think they have it right now. Their 1st gen mag was a Colt Mag. I have The Sig P238 and think it is awesome. Check out my thread from yesterday, CM9 vs P238 vs LCP. Never shot the Colt. It was a dream of mine over 20 years ago, but could not afford it then.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Unless you really want the Colt, I would go with the Sig. The Mustang will cost about $200 more and all you are really paying for is the name. As someone else stated, Sig bought the patent from Colt and improved upon it. The Sig has better (tritium) night sights already installed and is a joy to shoot. The Mustang shoots very nice as well, but the Sig is better overall, and at a lesser price. I've shot both btw.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Unless you really want the Colt, I would go with the Sig. The Mustang will cost about $200 more and all you are really paying for is the name. As someone else stated, Sig bought the patent from Colt and improved upon it. The Sig has better (tritium) night sights already installed and is a joy to shoot. The Mustang shoots very nice as well, but the Sig is better overall, and at a lesser price. I've shot both btw.
    Colt did not have a patent on the Mustang, it was a copy of the Star design from the 1940s.;)

Mwiseman6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I have both.You can't beat a Colt but in this case the Sig extended mag makes it the winner. The colt 7rd mags are large and ugly. The Sig mags look and feel like part of the grip.

heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    I have both.You can't beat a Colt but in this case the Sig extended mag makes it the winner. The colt 7rd mags are large and ugly. The Sig mags look and feel like part of the grip.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I totally agree. I have a Mustang and love it. I have the 938 and love it. I have extended mags for both and the Sig just feels better. The only thing about the Sig mags is they cost a lot of $$$$$. I got lucky and found a pair on ebay for $45 with shipping. The tritium sights on the Sig are sooo much nicer than the plain iron sights on my Mustang.

richwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Lebanon
    My wife has the Sig 238 and just put about 300 rounds through it, and most of that was on Sunday in the rain. It shoots great! The single action trigger is great, when compared to the double action, such as S&W BG. She loves it and can't wait to go shoot again.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My wife has the Sig 238 and just put about 300 rounds through it, and most of that was on Sunday in the rain. It shoots great! The single action trigger is great, when compared to the double action, such as S&W BG. She loves it and can't wait to go shoot again.
    My wife fell in love with my P238. It's hers now whenever she want's it. I will be looking for another one for her so I can have mine back. She likes the rainbow version. They are great little pistols.:yesway:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Either one, they both take the same magazine.
    The Colt mags fit in the Sig, but they are hit or miss as to function. I tried it to save money, and buy a Mustang mag and wasted my $30. That's why Sig has change mag designs twice to fix problems with feeding. I never have any problems with mine, with Sig mags, so I guess they got it right now.:ingo:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I carry the Mustang Pocketlite, love it. :patriot: Miniature 1911. :D
    :rockwoot:......carry'd 1 17 yrs in waistband,jacket/vest pocket,in a boot.....cok'd/lok'd....carry'd the lil' dude EVERwhere..feels/points bettr'n the 238,IMO....

:dunno:.....never could grasp the 'Night Sight' mentality with dudes......ain't need'd on this thing......whutever situation calls ta use 'em......can either point/shoot the da*n thing......or ya cain't :twocents: i'll take the Mustang over the 238 all day/ever day.......only sold mine ta pickup a 938,cuzz it's fullhouse 9......or I'd still have the Mustang. And I'll have another 1,eventually in stainless.....:cool:

Problem prolly yer 'friend'.......it ain't the gun......:cool:

Top Bottom