• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Setting aside that these rulings may apply to the general election, I don't know why states are involved with or paying for primary elections at all. Save the money, return it to the taxpayers, and let the parties pay for their own primary elections. Parties can select their candidates however they choose.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Setting aside that these rulings may apply to the general election, I don't know why states are involved with or paying for primary elections at all. Save the money, return it to the taxpayers, and let the parties pay for their own primary elections. Parties can select their candidates however they choose.
    I agree. But, except for private caucuses, primaries use the state's systems. They would need to use their own, or lease the equipment from the state, and employ their own poll workers. And I think that should be the case.

The parties in each state should run the election. It's purpose is to select the parties' nominee.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

That's appropriate. She's obviously partisan. Elections in a free society should not put thumbs on the scales. If she doesn't want a free society, learn Chinese and move. Otherwise get impeached and live in shame.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

"Whether you like or hate Trump, we will end up regretting letting the state judiciaries make our most fundamental political decisions"

"I agree that the court’s interpretation is a plausible, literal reading of the words, but it is an aggressively broad one."

" While I can understand why some would think sound, political hygiene justifies broad disqualification of political miscreants who engage in any action encouraging insurrectionary or rebellious acts, it is far wiser, both legally and politically, to follow the example of Chief Justice John Marshall, our nation’s greatest jurist, who in dealing with the treason prosecution of former Vice President Aaron Burr, held that we should define the crime of treason narrowly, not broadly."

"Marshall held, for example, that participating in formulating a plan to levy war doesn’t satisfy the constitutional requirement that a traitor actually levy war against the United States — you actually have to make war by committing overt acts constituting force."

"I think Marshall would read the insurrection and rebellion language similarly — to be disqualified you actually have to engage in insurrectionary or rebellious acts, amounting to violence. No matter how morally responsible Trump may be for the events of Jan. 6, unlike the leaders of the Confederacy, he didn’t directly engage in a violent insurrection or a rebellion."

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At this rate elections will have more in common with a pro football game than any choice in leadership. Lawfare and bribery are the important tools of the machine.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe if we refuse to stand during the national anthem then people will pay attention.
    Nah, ClownWorld™ will just think you're in solidarity with them. Of course, if you were wearing a MAGA hat and pro-Trump Carhartt sweatshirt with his face all over it, I suspect that they might scratch their heads.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Nah, ClownWorld™ will just think you're in solidarity with them. Of course, if you were wearing a MAGA hat and pro-Trump Carhartt sweatshirt with his face all over it, I suspect that they might scratch their heads.
    Where can I get me one of those?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Where can I get me one of those?
    I think having the likeness of a person on a sweatshirt in that context is too much like veneration to me. But if it's something like a shirt with an American flag, even if it's pro-Trump, I'd wear that.

But, I think for the purposes of my other post, the American Flag would probably work better to confuse progressives. Someone kneels for the national anthem while wearing a patriotic shirt, I think that would confuse some people.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    And then replace it with what, exactly?

It is MUCH easier to destroy things than it is to rebuild them from the ashes
    You can always put it back as it was, just eliminate the processes that allow for the corruption. At this point I’m not against outlawing letting democrats work in the election process.

maybe the best is to let it collapse just to put the blame squarely on the democrats and let them live with the consequences. Sometimes it’s not about making it better, it’s about applying blame and not letting them forget it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

We know what's up. She's not fooling anyone with her partisan hackey. Pretty sure given her history she would do what she could to block Trump and help Biden.

The Maine Democrat who moved to boot former President Donald Trump from the state’s Republican primary ballot visited the White House twice in the past year — meeting President Joe Biden during one jaunt — and reportedly once referred to the Electoral College as a “relic of white supremacy.

Bellows also visited the White House June 6, to meet with Justin Vail, a special assistant to Biden, Fox News reported .

In June 2021, Bellows, a former state Senator in Maine, wrote an op-ed piece for the lefty platform Democracy Docket claiming she decided to run for secretary of state because she “was truly frightened for our democracy” following the 2020 presidential election.

She also took a shot at the Electoral College that helped get Trump elected in 2016, claiming “voting rights for our neighbors matter as much as our own, especially when the relic of white supremacy that is the Electoral College remains in place.”

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

We know what's up. She's not fooling anyone with her partisan hackey. Pretty sure given her history she would do what she could to block Trump and help Biden.

The Maine Democrat who moved to boot former President Donald Trump from the state’s Republican primary ballot visited the White House twice in the past year — meeting President Joe Biden during one jaunt — and reportedly once referred to the Electoral College as a “relic of white supremacy.

Bellows also visited the White House June 6, to meet with Justin Vail, a special assistant to Biden, Fox News reported .

In June 2021, Bellows, a former state Senator in Maine, wrote an op-ed piece for the lefty platform Democracy Docket claiming she decided to run for secretary of state because she “was truly frightened for our democracy” following the 2020 presidential election.

She also took a shot at the Electoral College that helped get Trump elected in 2016, claiming “voting rights for our neighbors matter as much as our own, especially when the relic of white supremacy that is the Electoral College remains in place.”
    Originally missed this comment she made quoted below. I am mindful that no Secretary of State has ever appointed themselves as judge and jury to be the arbiter of what constitutes "insurrection." to deprive a presidential candidate of an opposing party from access to the ballot.

"I do not reach this conclusion lightly," she wrote of her decision. "Democracy is sacred … I am mindful that no Secretary of State has ever deprived a presidential candidate of ballot access based on Section Three of the Fourteenth Amendment. I am also mindful, however, that no presidential candidate has ever before engaged in insurrection."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Originally missed this comment she made. I am mindful that no Secretary of State has ever appointed themselves as judge and jury to be the arbiter of what constitutes "insurrection." to deprive a presidential candidate of access to the ballot.

"I do not reach this conclusion lightly," she wrote of her decision. "Democracy is sacred … I am mindful that no Secretary of State has ever deprived a presidential candidate of ballot access based on Section Three of the Fourteenth Amendment. I am also mindful, however, that no presidential candidate has ever before engaged in insurrection."

So a conversation with her might go something like this:

Sane person: Prove it.

****: It's self evident.

Sane person: Why shouldn't SoS's from red states remove Joe Biden for giving aid and comfort to the enemies of the US?

****: Prove it

Sane person: It's self evident. :dunno: That world you propose? You have to live in it too.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I agree. But, except for private caucuses, primaries use the state's systems. They would need to use their own, or lease the equipment from the state, and employ their own poll workers. And I think that should be the case.

The parties in each state should run the election. It's purpose is to select the parties' nominee.
    All good points. Many Americans seem to think that running the process to pick the candidate of a political party is the government's responsibility. It's not. Parties could use whatever method they choose. They could decide to poll their member in an election or not. The security of that election (to pick the candidate) would be up to the party and not the government.

At the end of the day, the government needs a name to put on the ballot for the general election.

Top Bottom