• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'd volunteer to hunt them at night. I can even bring a rifle for you to use.
    We have a trade arrangement with some Texas farmers, we can come down and blast piggers for free, but only when the crops are out of the fields. That means the winter months. (which just means we don't have to deal with Texas heat.)

At night is a game changing deal. I use a AN/PVS-4 with a Gen 3 tube upgrade, but most hunt with Thermals now. I really need to get the AA battery adapter, mine still takes the sterno can sized military batteries. Those things are getting expensive.

When the sun comes up we loose the dogs. Then sleep inside in the hot afternoon.

Someone will usually run a big coral gate trap... its all hands on deck when that catches a big sounder.

its become a yearly ritutal for me and the rest of the gang who comes from across the country. Bunch of M14 enthusiasts, though other rifles are allowed.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    We have a trade arrangement with some Texas farmers, we can come down and blast piggers for free, but only when the crops are out of the fields. That means the winter months. (which just means we don't have to deal with Texas heat.)

At night is a game changing deal. I use a AN/PVS-4 with a Gen 3 tube upgrade, but most hunt with Thermals now. I really need to get the AA battery adapter, mine still takes the sterno can sized military batteries. Those things are getting expensive.

When the sun comes up we loose the dogs. Then sleep inside in the hot afternoon.

Someone will usually run a big coral gate trap... its all hands on deck when that catches a big sounder.

its become a yearly ritutal for me and the rest of the gang who comes from across the country. Bunch of M14 enthusiasts, though other rifles are allowed.
    I've got a couple different rifles set up with thermal scopes. I had a PVS-14, but I didn't like it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Something doesn't feel right about eliminating native animals indiscriminately, but the invaders are 100% human responsibility and eliminating them is taking that responsibility.
    They aren't native animals, they are an invasive species that was first intentionally released by the Spaniards in the 1500's.
    And those, plus the domestic ones that have escaped over the years have been multiplying and spreading, damaging crops and competing with native species.
    So keeping their numbers under control and stopping their spread makes sense and is the right thing to do.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    They aren't native animals, they are an invasive species that was first intentionally released by the Spaniards in the 1500's.
    And those, plus the domestic ones that have escaped over the years have been multiplying and spreading, damaging crops and competing with native species.
    So keeping their numbers under control and stopping their spread makes sense and is the right thing to do.

Thanks for explaining that to me.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Lots of good info in this thread!

I’ve shot and eaten lots of feral pigs, and while I’m sure some are bad, with proper butchering and meat care ours have all been delicious, even some monster boars.

They aren’t as tough as the legends make them out to be. Their anatomy makes shooting them a little different, and they live in THICK areas, so a 50 yd death sprint usually results in a lost pig. Additionally, their fat layer tends to self seal, so they don’t leave a great blood trail. I have had numerous pigs that were hit perfectly, left almost no blood trail, and we only managed to lick into them 50 yards from where they were shot (after lots of looking).

I have skipped a 110gr blackout round off the forehead of a medium pig and watched it run off.

I have shot pigs with .308 multiple times and had them run 100 yards before going down.

Wounded hogs may on great occasion charge, or bluff charge, but I consider it a fairly low threat.

We like 6.5 Grendel from 12-14” barrels best, but I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt with only 5.56. I would use 69-75gr bullets, and either go very fragmenting (TMK, ELDM, etc) or monos and stick to CNS shots.

Wcd, you have a great offer from Rookie. Fair warning though, his visit will cost you $5-10Konce you get the thermal addiction!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Lots of good info in this thread!

I’ve shot and eaten lots of feral pigs, and while I’m sure some are bad, with proper butchering and meat care ours have all been delicious, even some monster boars.

They aren’t as tough as the legends make them out to be. Their anatomy makes shooting them a little different, and they live in THICK areas, so a 50 yd death sprint usually results in a lost pig. Additionally, their fat layer tends to self seal, so they don’t leave a great blood trail. I have had numerous pigs that were hit perfectly, left almost no blood trail, and we only managed to lick into them 50 yards from where they were shot (after lots of looking).

I have skipped a 110gr blackout round off the forehead of a medium pig and watched it run off.

I have shot pigs with .308 multiple times and had them run 100 yards before going down.

Wounded hogs may on great occasion charge, or bluff charge, but I consider it a fairly low threat.

We like 6.5 Grendel from 12-14” barrels best, but I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt with only 5.56. I would use 69-75gr bullets, and either go very fragmenting (TMK, ELDM, etc) or monos and stick to CNS shots.

Wcd, you have a great offer from Rookie. Fair warning though, his visit will cost you $5-10Konce you get the thermal addiction!
    Thing is broad daylight they are out, side by side does not phase them. The damage is done this year, so not a lot I can do but try to limit losses next year.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thing is broad daylight they are out, side by side does not phase them. The damage is done this year, so not a lot I can do but try to limit losses next year.
    If your side by side (assuming you're talking about an ATV/UTV) doesn't spook them, can't you just drive right up to them and shoot them with whatever?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If your side by side (assuming you're talking about an ATV/UTV) doesn't spook them, can't you just drive right up to them and shoot them with whatever?
    It’s UTV with a dump bed we use it to haul fencing supplies etc, not quiet by any means. I suppose that’s really not a bad idea if a few of them decide to charge they are not going to out run it. It’s like they have become not Afraid of anything?

Top Bottom