• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I will admit, when I post up a wtb/wtt... Sometimes (often) I have no clue what I want. I just know I want a change. I look at what I have.. I keep very little I don't want, but I draw a line a say... I'm will to put this up as trade barter if I can get something equal or greater... I have no problem adding cash, ammo, 2 for1 to make a deal...

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Why do people get all tore up over the way others choose to word an ad in the classifieds?
    Because a "trade only" policy defies logic and common sense. Very difficult to find two parties who both want to trade something of equal value. Much more efficient to get cash and buy what one wants.

If one's significant other says "no more guns", then selling for cash and buying another means a net increase of zero guns. I didn't major in math, but I'm pretty confident about the arithmetic on that. And if one's SO resists that logic, I pity the fool.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Because a "trade only" policy defies logic and common sense. Very difficult to find two parties who both want to trade something of equal value. Much more efficient to get cash and buy what one wants.

If one's significant other says "no more guns", then selling for cash and buying another means a net increase of zero guns. I didn't major in math, but I'm pretty confident about the arithmetic on that. And if one's SO resists that logic, I pity the fool.
    This is based on the assumption that "what one wants" is readily available for purchase.

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    I list for trade for 2 reasons.

1. I got burned once on a gun deal and sold a 1911 for $800 and ended up with $437 and some funny money.

2. I sold some ammo recently to a sob story only to see it immediately turned around to gouging on another site.

With all the panic buying there is an increasing amount of desperation that comes with it; trading reduces the risks of that desperation affecting me.

If the world currently turns upside down guns and bullets may end up the new currency..

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    GrouchyConsciousBlackbird-small.gif

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am not sure how I would have handled the 80% thing. Probably not well depending on how deep the friendship ran. If indeed it is a friend they would already know. But people have to......well.....people after all.

I am a terrible business man when it comes to parts and pieces I have and folks need. Most times I just give them away if they are not serious parts. Yu need a part for your 1911....lets see, yeah I have a couple Come and get one of them. I just enjoy helping and paying forward. And I do.
    This is the danger of being a good human being. Too many people will see you not ad being kind or generous but rather an easy mark. If you find a balance that allows you to be the person you are without becoming a target, please let me know. I'm still working on that question.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    One of the wiggle areas on Trades is people that buy a $500 gun then put $500 in Upgrades - some very pricey (binary triggers / threaded barrels ) - which others would not justify as a face value increase -- so if you have 2 people who have done that to different firearms --- a trade makes more sense

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    To the OP, it's a lifestyle choice... a matter of taste.

Growing up, I knew my dad to purchase what "normal people" would consider a "lot" of guns... but that was dwarved by the hundreds upon hundreds of guns he traded for with friends, acquaintances and relatives. All of which were quality firearms, all of which had been and were fired.

As a boy, I witnessed the start of a trade numerous times, the start was often subtle, but somewhere along the lines, the following two sentences got uttered:

"Man, that is nice, I always wanted one of those." (or "had one I wished I'd never got rid of")

- and -

"Well, what do you have to trade?"

Horse trading is a finely honed art among some... when done well, it's a beauty to behold.... like watching a well-played poker game... though usually, both sides felt they had won. Lol!

First, on it's face, not factual. One trade transaction is more efficient than two sale/purchase transactions.

Second, it only adheres to "logic and common sense" for someone who doesn't have a collection of desirable firearms with which to trade... and likely a similar universe of guns they'd like to have... only the one specific firearm they want to sell and only the one specific firearm they want to purchase... in that case, it is pretty much the only way, barring a rare alignment of the stars, for a person in that position to "trade" A for B.

For most on here, that just isn't the situation.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm skeptical of the WTT only folks. To me they sound as if they want to haggle in person or on the phone.

I much prefer to make deals agreed to in advance, with time to research for both parties.

I will and have traded item for item, but I'd much rather do cash. Much simpler and only one party is doing the grading of what they are getting.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Must be a big one!

$3k won't get you far when you're talking actual TL-15 safes.

It'll get you an OK residential security container, however.

As far as this thread goes: I cannot remember if I've ever done WTT only... But I'll generally do a WTS/WTT instead.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm generally not into doing trades, but did do it once about 25+ years ago.
    And it never crossed my mind until this thread why some people like trading.
    I guess it's an "each to their own" thing.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I agree. I am not in that situation, but I know someone who is. He lives by the "It's cheaper to keep her." mantra, which must be a hard lesson to learn as he is on his 3rd wife.
    I have a good friend who retired recently as a senior captain for United (777). Years ago we were talking, and he asked me if I knew what the biggest raise in a pilot's career was. I had to admit that I did not know, to which he said "Keeping your first wife"

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I’ve thought about putting a trade only ad in on occasion. It was for situations like having a great handgun in 9mm but wanting one in .40 more. If I sold it outright, I’d be down one gun until I could find one and who knows what the pricing would be. My thought at the time was that if there was someone with a .40 that wanted a 9mm more, and if the guns were in like condition, it would be an easy swap.

I never did post the ad though since in the end, I decided that I wanted both.
    :thumbsup:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom