• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Once you've gotten past being a "young gun guy" and become an old pharte who has owned two of everything at some point in your life, you reach a realization: all the really unique, neat and cool stuff is tied up in somebody else's collection. It may take years before somebody dies and it shakes loose onto the market. I have reached that point where most of the unique stuff I really want, isn't readily available for sale in gun stores. Covid-pan(dem)ic has exacerbated this. The stuff I really want is not in production anymore, and I'm not into searching Gunbroker and paying stupid money. There are like-minded people out there, and none of us wants to play the game.

The shizz of it is, if you live in a populated area, there's probably somebody within 5 or 10 miles of you who has that exact thing you're looking for, tied up in their collection, not available for sale in any gun store. If you can put out a Hail Mary and work a trade, "mine for yours," you may be able to get something that was unobtainium as a cash deal. Because he was not necessarily looking to sell, but there was something he really wanted, and you just happened to have it.

Example: my new favorite handgun is something I got from a member here, and didn't even know I was looking for one. I had a gun I didn't want anymore, he wanted it, and it turns out he had something to offer that turned out to be the best damn gun I've owned in a long time. And if I hadn't met this guy, I probably still wouldn't have one.

Honestly, my guilty desire, (I know this isn't practical), is I would like to have some way to have an INGO swap-meet where I could know what everybody else had in their collection. And just be able to approach them and say, "Hey, do I have anything in my collection I could pry that loose from you for?" Could you imagine that? If we could rent the fairgrounds or something...hell, it would have to be a week-10 days long. I'm fully convinced the state of Indiana would shut down for a week, if it ever happened. No work would get done that week, because everybody would be there.
    The other thing I've had happen on Gunbroker Walletbreaker more times than I like is after long dry spells, two things I want come on the market at the same time and I have to do triage

As far as the swap meet thing, I certainly wouldn't want to haul a bunch of guns around or make public a list of what I have that I might be willing to trade

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    i agree with the poster . most of these yo yo's want to trade A $200 gun to get a $500 one . if you are selling the gun you either do not want an other firearm at this time , or you are selling it to fund your next purchase .
    cash still rules

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Honestly, my guilty desire, (I know this isn't practical), is I would like to have some way to have an INGO swap-meet where I could know what everybody else had in their collection. And just be able to approach them and say, "Hey, do I have anything in my collection I could pry that loose from you for?" Could you imagine that? If we could rent the fairgrounds or something...hell, it would have to be a week-10 days long. I'm fully convinced the state of Indiana would shut down for a week, if it ever happened. No work would get done that week, because everybody would be there.
    That's an awesome idea and would be a great networking event. Imagine the treasures you'd be able to swap for...

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Once you've gotten past being a "young gun guy" and become an old pharte who has owned two of everything at some point in your life, you reach a realization: all the really unique, neat and cool stuff is tied up in somebody else's collection. It may take years before somebody dies and it shakes loose onto the market. I have reached that point where most of the unique stuff I really want, isn't readily available for sale in gun stores. Covid-pan(dem)ic has exacerbated this. The stuff I really want is not in production anymore, and I'm not into searching Gunbroker and paying stupid money. There are like-minded people out there, and none of us wants to play the game.

The shizz of it is, if you live in a populated area, there's probably somebody within 5 or 10 miles of you who has that exact thing you're looking for, tied up in their collection, not available for sale in any gun store. If you can put out a Hail Mary and work a trade, "mine for yours," you may be able to get something that was unobtainium as a cash deal. Because he was not necessarily looking to sell, but there was something he really wanted, and you just happened to have it.

Example: my new favorite handgun is something I got from a member here, and didn't even know I was looking for one. I had a gun I didn't want anymore, he wanted it, and it turns out he had something to offer that turned out to be the best damn gun I've owned in a long time. And if I hadn't met this guy, I probably still wouldn't have one.

^^^^^ Man...your above thread just makes so much sense. Especially the first paragraph. I am there now. The stuff I want USUALLY cannot be found in my LGS, and if it does come in, it is usually from a widow and it flies off the shelf immediately. Thanks for posting this. You have explained EXACTLY what I am going through currently with my collection. :yesway:

Top Bottom