Classic Car Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't understand what is going on there. Ok, the engine has been set back for better weight distribution. That took some serious structure work because the subframe does not go back that far. What did they accomplish with the spaghetti exhaust tubing? Nothing I have ever read thinks putting lots of exhaust heat around the manifold and fuel system is a good thing. Lots of attention to fluid cooling is in the front end. but the underhood heat build up in this would have to rival Chernobyl. I understand that long tube headers can be part of a tuning strategy, but I cannot see any overall advantage with this.

mikek

What, Me Worry??
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    mooresville
    Definition of Pro Street
    A Pro Street car must be drag racing oriented and have wheel tubs under the back end that allow for oversized, very wide tires to be fit under the stock body. That's fact. As for my opinion, a Pro Street car is typically also stock bodied and ostensibly street driven. When the style originated in the mid to late '70s, it was inspired by the NHRA drag racing Pro Stock class of the mid '70s, hence where the "Pro" in Pro Street came from. Scott Sullivan's Nova that debuted at the 1979 Car Craft Street Machine Nationals is often cited as the first Pro Street car, but the look was used earlier on street-driven cars that used actual Pro Stock suspension setups, such as Steve Lisk's Hemi '71 Challenger.
    In the late '80s, Pro Street included everything from tubbed cars with back-half-only custom suspension to full-tube-chassis cars—meaning only the body was stock and the chassis was completely hand fabricated. At this time, Pro Street was considered kind of a poser deal, with the magazines focusing on wild show cars (most notably Rick Dobbertin's Pontiac J2000) that rarely if ever drove outside of a fairground car show. Then in the early '90s, the Fastest Street Car Shootout races took off, and the class for big-tire cars became known as Pro Street—though eventually they were not really Street cars either. But they all had massive meats. These days dare I say that nothing with a DOT drag radial tire is a Pro Streeter, because they don't make those tires large enough to qualify.
    David Freiburger

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Definition of Pro Street
    A Pro Street car must be drag racing oriented and have wheel tubs under the back end that allow for oversized, very wide tires to be fit under the stock body. That's fact. As for my opinion, a Pro Street car is typically also stock bodied and ostensibly street driven. When the style originated in the mid to late '70s, it was inspired by the NHRA drag racing Pro Stock class of the mid '70s, hence where the "Pro" in Pro Street came from. Scott Sullivan's Nova that debuted at the 1979 Car Craft Street Machine Nationals is often cited as the first Pro Street car, but the look was used earlier on street-driven cars that used actual Pro Stock suspension setups, such as Steve Lisk's Hemi '71 Challenger.
    In the late '80s, Pro Street included everything from tubbed cars with back-half-only custom suspension to full-tube-chassis cars—meaning only the body was stock and the chassis was completely hand fabricated. At this time, Pro Street was considered kind of a poser deal, with the magazines focusing on wild show cars (most notably Rick Dobbertin's Pontiac J2000) that rarely if ever drove outside of a fairground car show. Then in the early '90s, the Fastest Street Car Shootout races took off, and the class for big-tire cars became known as Pro Street—though eventually they were not really Street cars either. But they all had massive meats. These days dare I say that nothing with a DOT drag radial tire is a Pro Streeter, because they don't make those tires large enough to qualify.
    David Freiburger
    That may have some historical accuracy to it.
    The definition of "Pro Street" as many people I've known have viewed it is much simpler...
    Big tires, big cubic inches with lots of horsepower in an otherwise "street legal" car.
    Even then the definition of "streetcar" comes into play. Does it mean street driven or street legal?
    We've raced in a Pro Street class for several years. Early on it started out you had to have passenger seat, carpet, stock dash, only fiberglass allowed was hood and deck lid, had to have all lights including turn signals and back half only. But wasn't required to have plates or insurance. Over time rules evolved to where now it's pretty much the old street outlaws rules. Must have factory steel roof & quarters, VIN tag, no billet heads. Otherwise run whatchya brung and hope you brung enough. I kinda miss the earlier years of the class (we started running in it in 2004)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't understand what is going on there. Ok, the engine has been set back for better weight distribution. That took some serious structure work because the subframe does not go back that far. What did they accomplish with the spaghetti exhaust tubing? Nothing I have ever read thinks putting lots of exhaust heat around the manifold and fuel system is a good thing. Lots of attention to fluid cooling is in the front end. but the underhood heat build up in this would have to rival Chernobyl. I understand that long tube headers can be part of a tuning strategy, but I cannot see any overall advantage with this.
    I saw multiple articles on that car during the build. If memory serves the chassis is a work of art in tubing. The headers had to go that way by design and they are tuned 180 degree to maximize the scavenger effect for peak flow and HP.
    Think back to the British early rear engine Indy cars with the ford cammer engines. Look at that set of exhaust pipes and it is an example. The engine note was soooo different and the little NA Fords made big power. The Turbo Offy’s of the day struggled to keep up.
    NASCAR has a similar system but it tucks in nicely.
    Agreed on the heat factor.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That may have some historical accuracy to it.
    The definition of "Pro Street" as many people I've known have viewed it is much simpler...
    Big tires, big cubic inches with lots of horsepower in an otherwise "street legal" car.
    Even then the definition of "streetcar" comes into play. Does it mean street driven or street legal?
    We've raced in a Pro Street class for several years. Early on it started out you had to have passenger seat, carpet, stock dash, only fiberglass allowed was hood and deck lid, had to have all lights including turn signals and back half only. But wasn't required to have plates or insurance. Over time rules evolved to where now it's pretty much the old street outlaws rules. Must have factory steel roof & quarters, VIN tag, no billet heads. Otherwise run whatchya brung and hope you brung enough. I kinda miss the earlier years of the class (we started running in it in 2004)
    Frieberger pretty much nailed it. He is the Publisher (or was) for Hot Rod magazine and still has a very active role with them.
    Every class seems to morph into big money involvement as people search to go faster and overpower the class with money injection. Super Gas is one of those classes. It started out in a 9.90 bracket if memory serves (when 9.90was fast) and ended up being ran by a field of cars capable of mid to high 8’s but slowed by electronics and miles of wire.
    Pro Street and now Pro Touring.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Frieberger pretty much nailed it. He is the Publisher (or was) for Hot Rod magazine and still has a very active role with them.
    Every class seems to morph into big money involvement as people search to go faster and overpower the class with money injection. Super Gas is one of those classes. It started out in a 9.90 bracket if memory serves (when 9.90was fast) and ended up being ran by a field of cars capable of mid to high 8’s but slowed by electronics and miles of wire.
    Pro Street and now Pro Touring.
    Yep there's always a few with more money than talent or knowledge

Top Bottom