• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The one that uses the calendar so that Christmas isn't in summer.
    Don't be so sure....

You quoted Roman's 3:4.

In that verse, Paul's quote is from the Septuagint, not the Masoretic. :): :cool:

Check and Mate!

Seriously Since I read of your situation my prayer for you has been

1000004398.jpg
    I just wish I knew your first name. I like to use names.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hopefully some of you can help me with information on the Global Methodist denomination.
    Some background first. I have been a member of the local Presbyterian Church for a very long time. I enjoy the pipe organ, the liturgy, the calm nature, the hymns, a good well thought out sermon, etc. However the Church just went too far left for me. Just name the issue and they are on the far left. So I decided to look around. I don't want to become Mennonite, so that eliminates a big part of the local churches. I don't want to stand and sway for 10-15 minutes to songs that I don't know and can't sing along to as they seem to improvise through them a lot. I don't want a church that seems to feel the only actual item to follow in the Bible is tithing. I have visited a large number of the local churches during this time. I thought I was going to just go to a Covenant Brethren, but they are changing pastors right now and I am not sure how crazy I am about the new interim pastor. I just found out that one of the local Methodist Churches switched to the Global Methodist denomination. As I understand it, and I may be wrong, but this denomination was created so that the UMC could go down the path of PCUSA and adopt a LGBTQ belief system. Is that correct? Any other differences?
    Indeed.

Global Methodist split from the UMC the same way the PCA split from the PC-USA - the mainline went liberal.
    Are there no PCA churches around you?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am curious. What is the significance of what appears to be a braided cord draped over the icons?
    It's just my prayer rope. I put it there when not using it so I don't lose it. :):

At first I thought you were asking about drapes in icons. So I was typing up the following than I reread your post.

In general, even in icons an event that takes place indoors is shown outdoors but a drape is placed over the icon to let you know that the event happened indoors. The basic idea is the divine can not be contained. Icons are meant to teach theology not be a strict depiction of a historical event.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Indeed.

Global Methodist split from the UMC the same way the PCA split from the PC-USA - the mainline went liberal.
    Are there no PCA churches around you?
    Down in Nappanee. I went and visited even though it is a little far for me, half hour approximately. Their congregation was about 12 people.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is an excellent article. Folks, don't miss the linked guide:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's just my prayer rope. I put it there when not using it so I don't lose it. :):

At first I thought you were asking about drapes in icons. So I was typing up the following than I reread your post.

In general, even in icons an event that takes place indoors is shown outdoors but a drape is placed over the icon to let you know that the event happened indoors. The basic idea is the divine can not be contained. Icons are meant to teach theology not be a strict depiction of a historical event.
    "Prayer Rope"? :dunno:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    "Prayer Rope"? :dunno:

This is mine. Its 100 knots. I use it to say the Jesus prayer.
    1000004405.jpg

Inhale: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God,
    Exhale: have mercy on me a sinner

Or some variation on the ending especially.

On us.
    On JettaKnight
    Etc.

By praying without ceasing the prayer enters the heart. That is considered a Spiritual blessing.

Monks keep that blessing.

I have experienced it once for a few weeks.
    I would fall asleep saying the prayer with my rope. Several time I awoke in the morning praying the prayer out loud mid sentence.

then my sins overcame it and never has it returned. That was 20 years ago. That is why my prayer rope is new looking. As the practice fell by the wayside so did my blessing. I still hope to find that 20 year old frayed prayer rope that I lost 5ish years ago. I have a 33 knot bracelet but prefer the 100 knots.

My Spiritual father (guy that hears my confession) says my Spiritual life is that of the stony ground. I have wonderful encounters with Christ when I bust up the boulders in my life, but when I try to continue plucking up the stones there are always more to be found. Anyone who has gardened will know what I mean.

This Lenten season I am recommiting to my prayer rope in the hopes that, just one more day, I can awaken to the prayer.

Of course real Lent doesn't start for 3 weeks so right now it's pre season practice

Reactions: GTM

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Down in Nappanee. I went and visited even though it is a little far for me, half hour approximately. Their congregation was about 12 people.
    If you added the phrase but the church had a beautiful steeple, you would be well on the way to writing religious poetry or a hymn!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you added the phrase but the church had a beautiful steeple, you would be well on the way to writing religious poetry or a hymn!
    That is my old church here in Goshen. tallest steeple in town. I understand that was important at one time.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Jesus washing feet is more than just servant leadership (despite what you might read in a leadership book or hear at a seminar).

Now days the only time you really see foot washing are at some weddings. And it in no way carries the same level of shock. (It's more just weird and gross) There's just no parallel in today's society. It's not the same thing when the pastor shows up on Saturday to help vacuum the sanctuary. There's no shame in that, unlike what Jesus did.

There's a component of it that we can't really comprehend in our near classless society. It was more than just servicing the needs of the disciples. More than being an exemplary host - it was putting Himself in a position of disdain. Peter's rejection of Jesus washing his feet was partially self-preservation, not his own humility. To be serving under a master that washes feet - it just was intolerable; Peter couldn't accept his master going straight the bottom of the social totem pole. No one will ever accept him or Jesus for such a shameful act.

In John 13:8 Peter wasn't saying, "No, you shouldn't, I should serve you."
    Look at the words he was, “You shall never wash my feet.” (The original text has no punctuation, but I think an exclamation point is in order here)
    Peter was saying, "You can't! That's not right. That's shameful!"

Judaism valued humility (unlike the other cultures in that region), but Judaism also valued class structure and societal roles. But Jesus' act wasn't just being humble, it was having no fear of shame whatsoever, even to the point of embracing it in the eyes of those around him.

This is another case of Jesus flipping the script and doing everything wrong according to the world's view of a leader.

Contrast this to today's Christian "leaders". Ken Copeland famously said he can't fly commercial because of the "demons" in those [aluminum death tubes]. That's the most egregious, but there's hundreds of other examples.
    I'll not attempt to disagree with any of your points. I'll merely reply that the body of believers, who understand all of this context and nuance, were not the intended audience of those commercials.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It's pretty simple for me. Either Psalm 34 is a lie or I am unrighteous.

Let God be true and every man a liar.
    You're going to have to expound on that. I'm not following. How does Psalm 34 apply to the point that salvation is found in Jesus Christ alone, and not in any of the teachings or writings of any of his followers, apostles, prophets, or others (including Martin Luther)?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I went to the global Methodist church this morning. Beautiful pipe organ with a very proficient organist. So I enjoyed that. Probably around 100 attendees. Everyone was very friendly.

However, I discovered their pastor is a woman and I am not sure how I feel about that. We had a children/youth pastor that was a young woman years ago and she had to fill in a few times, so I didn’t worry about it that much, but this will be full time.
    1 Corinthians 14:34-35

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I went to the global Methodist church this morning. Beautiful pipe organ with a very proficient organist. So I enjoyed that. Probably around 100 attendees. Everyone was very friendly.
    So you may become a globalist? :):

Glad to hear they were welcoming

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's some of that persecution I mentioned earlier. Definitely seems government instigated:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom