• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Personally, if the cameras are used only to solve violent crimes and the data isn’t retained for more than 30 days, with no traffic enforcement use at all, then I wouldn’t have much of a problem with this.

That's the catch. They may initially be only to "solve crimes." How long would it be before the local governments realized that they already had information in their possession that could be used to generate revenue? How many would decline going after that "free money?"

And would you trust ANY government agency to delete any data after 30 days?

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I once heard a story of a FL man who was driving through Maryland and was pulled over by a LEO a few miles after passing a plate reader. LEO was notified that he was a LTC permit holder in FL. LEOs searched his car high and low looking for any weapons. He sued and the laws were changed.

I found the cameras in Germany had a major impact on how people drive. Some people need to be heavily penalized for their driving. Anyone here driven through Greenwood, Fishers, Noblesville, or Carmel lately??

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I once heard a story of a FL man who was driving through Maryland and was pulled over by a LEO a few miles after passing a plate reader. LEO was notified that he was a LTC permit holder in FL. LEOs searched his car high and low looking for any weapons. He sued and the laws were changed.
    That wouldn't surprise me in Maryland. Sounds like they don't need a gun registry if they already have a gun OWNER registry!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Link?

The only story I found was a guy who was speeding and got searched after being pulled over, then claimed it was due to his out of state license plate in 2014. Nothing about plate readers being involved, any lawsuit, or any change in the law.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm late to this party, but the car dealership I worked at from 1992 through 1995 was in Wyoming, MI. I was standard working-class area back then. There was property crime on the used-car-row we were on, but I never heard much about violent crime. I guess the neighborhood has changed.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Link?

The only story I found was a guy who was speeding and got searched after being pulled over, then claimed it was due to his out of state license plate in 2014. Nothing about plate readers being involved, any lawsuit, or any change in the law.

Some years back, the American Rifleman ran a story about the New Jersey state police pulling cars over based on their outdoor sports bumper stickers and out of state plates looking for and confiscating hunting rifles. They were looking for people driving up to places in Maine to go hunting. This practice was discouraged and I don't remember hearing any more about it, but the joke was that it was hunting season for rifles in New Jersey when it was hunting season for moose in Maine.;)

I'm old and you may have to go back a ways to find that.:oldwise:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Some years back, the American Rifleman ran a story about the New Jersey state police pulling cars over based on their outdoor sports bumper stickers and out of state plates looking for and confiscating hunting rifles. They were looking for people driving up to places in Maine to go hunting. This practice was discouraged and I don't remember hearing any more about it, but the joke was that it was hunting season for rifles in New Jersey when it was hunting season for moose in Maine.;)

I'm old and you may have to go back a ways to find that.:oldwise:

Targeting out of town license plates is certainly a practice that's happened for various types of investigatory stops. Plates from certain states being more likely to be transporting dope from south of the border sort of stuff. That wasn't my issue. My issue was some "story" about automated plate readers notifying police when someone with a handgun permit/license enters the state. I am pretty skeptical on that one.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Targeting out of town license plates is certainly a practice that's happened for various types of investigatory stops. Plates from certain states being more likely to be transporting dope from south of the border sort of stuff. That wasn't my issue. My issue was some "story" about automated plate readers notifying police when someone with a handgun permit/license enters the state. I am pretty skeptical on that one.
    My quess is that is a combined story adding license plate readers to the states that have been accused of notifying officers on traffic stops of carry permits from other states and them using that as probable cause to search the car…

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

This story is actually well before the day of license plate readers. Back then you would probably have to make a radio call and somebody make some phone calls to find out if the car in question was driven by a LTC holder. NJ still is a state where things "fall off the back of trucks."

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No kidding. The best way to actually slow traffic is to have a VISIBLE patrol car. The rest is just revenue collection.

Well, since Indiana is in the black and traffic fines go into the general fund, no reason to enforce traffic at all. Which is pretty much what you're seeing in most places, there's just not the manpower to address traffic in a lot of places.

Visible cars slow traffic for as long as the car is in view, maybe. I don't even tap the brakes unless the idjits in front of me decide to show how well they are complying by dropping to 5 under in the fast lane.

Top Bottom