• ...and so much more!
  • Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Thanks. Are their Indiana legal countermeasures we can take?
    Anti-photo/radar license plate cover and no its not legal.
    EECEAF9C-5850-4541-A34D-843FBFF72400.jpeg
    In my experience theyre kind of like dark window tint, some cops care im guessing, ive just never met one. A guy i know may or may not have them on a vehicle or two along with less than legal window tint.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Anti-photo/radar license plate cover and no its not legal.
    View attachment 173014
    In my experience theyre kind of like dark window tint, some cops care im guessing, ive just never met one. A guy i know may or may not have them on a vehicle or two along with less than legal window tint.
    So it only blocks tech devices from reading it? If an LEO can read it, then it’s fine. As long as it’s not obstructed or obscured by opaque objects, and in a condition to be clearly legible, you’re good to go.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So it only blocks tech devices from reading it? If an LEO can read it, then it’s fine. As long as it’s not obstructed or obscured by opaque objects, and in a condition to be clearly legible, you’re good to go.
    How would that be legal, particularly in the case where the readers are used to assess tolls? That seems like it would be tantamount to blocking LEO from seeing it.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    How would that be legal, particularly in the case where the readers are used to assess tolls? That seems like it would be tantamount to blocking LEO from seeing it.
    LEO isn’t the one assessing the tolls maybe? I’m not knowledgeable about toll roads, but I can’t find any statute that says what was posted above is illegal. As long as an officer can read it, it seems like it’s legal. If anyone has a statute that deals with it, I’d appreciate it being referenced so I can see it too.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    LEO isn’t the one assessing the tolls maybe? I’m not knowledgeable about toll roads, but I can’t find any statute that says what was posted above is illegal. As long as an officer can read it, it seems like it’s legal. If anyone has a statute that deals with it, I’d appreciate it being referenced so I can see it too.
    No, LEO isn't assessing the tolls, but the readers are being relied upon for the toll bridges going between Indiana and Kentucky (and other places), so I think denying the readers' ability to read your plate would be just like blowing through a toll booth without paying. I can't imagine that being legal.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks. Are their Indiana legal countermeasures we can take?
    Are angle grinders legal in Indiana? :dunno: :):

We have a lot of speed cameras over here, or cameras that flash you if you run a red light.

They tend to "fall off" during the night.

It happens everywhere ...

bG9jYWw6Ly8vMDAvMDAvMDUvMTkvOTEvMjAwMDAwNTE5OTE3Mw.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

They are "new generation" cameras, on a mast, to make them harder to destroy.

The older generation was placed direction on the ground and had the off habit of catching fire.
    Or it was taped with trash bags, covered with paint etc.

unnamed-10.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Really no different than the readers they use on the toll bridges over the Ohio river to bill you for using them.
    We had a similar system on some highways here in France, cameras to read licence places to pay a fee.

They were all destroyed with fire (during the day, in front of the police) ... they collapsed and blocked the highways.

They are no longer used.

portique-3.JPG

Ecotaxe-les-portiques-detruits-ca-va-couter-cher.jpg

Un-portique-ecotaxe-detruit-2-gardes-a-vue.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :lol2:

That's great!

Seems as if I remember when the traffic light camera craze started, that a lot of revenue hungry municipalities that were quick to install them also pretty quickly quit monitoring them? Under extreme presser from their constituents?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We had a similar system on some highways here in France, cameras to read licence places to pay a fee.

They were all destroyed with fire (during the day, in front of the police) ... they collapsed and blocked the highways.

They are no longer used.

portique-3.JPG

Ecotaxe-les-portiques-detruits-ca-va-couter-cher.jpg

Un-portique-ecotaxe-detruit-2-gardes-a-vue.jpg
    Wow! You guys really don't like speeding tickets and tolls over there! :):

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Yes, that's what I was speaking of. Seen them years back for traffic camera/toll booth cam detection?

Wonder what the fine is for one of these? Is it worth the risk?
    I have no idea what the penalty is, they are completely legible from the rear but at angles greater than 10ish degrees they arent so legible.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Wow! You guys really don't like speeding tickets and tolls over there! :):
    Apparently 75% our speed cameras ( we have some 3,200 all over France) were destroyed or out of order in 2020.

It's like a national sports.
    They even caught police officers, who stopped on the side of the road, in uniform, in order to destroy speed cameras.

Hunters like to shoot them.

radar-detruit-coups-fusil.jpg

People have used diggers.

le-radar-de-la-forge-a-ete-detruit-dans-la-nuit-photo-dna-ph-m-1522945117.jpg

Usually it's just done with fire, angle grinders, paint, sledge hammers etc.

For the holyday season some people wrap them up like gifts ...

2289097-radar-cadeau-noel-jpg_1980107.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    :lol2:

That's great!

Seems as if I remember when the traffic light camera craze started, that a lot of revenue hungry municipalities that were quick to install them also pretty quickly quit monitoring them? Under extreme presser from their constituents?
    Most were a stop camera partnership with the camera company that fell apart when it was discovered, that like the mob, the camera company rigged the game by shorting the yellow light times. Once state legislators updated the laws to allow for a minimum yellow light the scheme went bankrupt…

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    No, LEO isn't assessing the tolls, but the readers are being relied upon for the toll bridges going between Indiana and Kentucky (and other places), so I think denying the readers' ability to read your plate would be just like blowing through a toll booth without paying. I can't imagine that being legal.
    Doesn’t seem like it, but I can’t find anything about it specifically.

Top Bottom