• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Well, since Indiana is in the black and traffic fines go into the general fund, no reason to enforce traffic at all. Which is pretty much what you're seeing in most places, there's just not the manpower to address traffic in a lot of places.

Visible cars slow traffic for as long as the car is in view, maybe. I don't even tap the brakes unless the idjits in front of me decide to show how well they are complying by dropping to 5 under in the fast lane.
    I know. I remember when I lived in Texas, Austin had a car on the side of I35 that wasn't even manned. People would still slow down when they saw it. Sit a car at the beginning of a construction zone in an obvious spot, and the idjits will fall all over themselves slowing down.

Hmm...you say enforcement is down. Maybe we see the root reason for this then.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    1643582498048.png

As Traffic Deaths Spike, U.S. Pledges New Safety Strategy

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I wonder if somebody is working on an automated prosecutor.;)
    China introduces “AI prosecutor” that can automatically charge citizens of a crime

While in the West mostly speech and movement of people are policed through automated “AI” censorship and surveillance systems, in China, work appears to be well under way to create a machine that would act as an AI-powered prosecutor.

The product, which has already been tested by the busy Shanghai Pudong prosecutor’s office, is able to achieve 97 percent accuracy in charging people suspected of eight criminal acts, researchers developing it have alleged.

According to the South China Morning Post, the cases that the “AI prosecutor” is allegedly highly competent in handling involve crimes like credit card fraud, dangerous driving, gambling, intentional injury, obstructing officials, theft, but also something called “picking quarrels and provoking trouble.”

The last one is considered particularly “problematic” since its definition, or lack thereof, can cover different forms of political dissent.

And now the plan is to introduce a machine that would be given decision-making powers, such as whether to file charges, and what sentence to seek on a case-to-case basis.

That, said Professor Shi Yong, who heads the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ big data and knowledge management lab that is behind the project, is a marked difference between this and other “AI” tools that have already been in use in China for years. One of them is System 206, whose tasks are limited to assessing evidence, the danger a suspect poses to the public, and conditions under which they may be apprehended.

But the tech behind the new artificial prosecutor looks to be at the same time far more ambitious, and advanced. What has been disclosed is that it can be run on a desktop PC, processing 1,000 traits extracted from case description filed by humans, and based on that press a charge.

It’s unclear if the database of 17,000 cases spanning five years used to train the algorithms is enough to consider the project as true AI – and if the same result can be achieved by rule-based algorithms.

Either way, not all human prosecutors are thrilled about having some of their workload replaced in this way – although precisely this has been given as the motive for developing the tech.

“The accuracy of 97 per cent may be high from a technological point of view, but there will always be a chance of a mistake. Who will take responsibility when it happens? The prosecutor, the machine or the designer of the algorithm?,” one Guangzhou-based prosecutor noted, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Truth45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2022
    NWI
    There is always a bigger agenda when it comes to Big Brother, if they truly cared about the safety of us, they would abolish the Dem run cities but that is their template and vision for the rest of the country. Resist and Dissent!!

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    After the Jan 6th event, they are likely wanting more ways to track Americans so they can throw them in solitary confinement for years if they go to a Trump rally, etc. They usually claim it has one use, when they really have an alternative use in mind. Wee don't have a speed problem in our country that requires speed cameras all over our country. 1984 is really 2020, and you can expect the spying on citizens to continue to increase. Now if you transfer funds of $600 or more, the new 87,000 IRS agents will want to know who is paying, who is being paid, and if taxes should be paid for anything in the process. They are now linked into the zell payment system among many others. I believe Benjamin Franklin said "They who can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Targeting out of town license plates is certainly a practice that's happened for various types of investigatory stops. Plates from certain states being more likely to be transporting dope from south of the border sort of stuff. That wasn't my issue. My issue was some "story" about automated plate readers notifying police when someone with a handgun permit/license enters the state. I am pretty skeptical on that one.
    I’m from New Mexico… I’ve lived in Indiana most of my life though.
    Year’s ago I picked up a “license” plate with the NM state flag on it for my front bumper on my Jeep.
    I don’t drive reckless, don’t speed… rarely in a hurry. I’m a defensive driver… I ride my Harley year round when it’s not zero digits. Safe driver/rider!
    In the 1st month of having that NM plate on the front bumper of my Jeep…
    I was pulled over repeatedly until I finally took the plate off. It hangs on my garage wall now.
    I talked to a LEO buddy of mine and he said that South West US vehicles are targeted for drug trafficking.
    I can’t enjoy my plate because of the damned dope dealers!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Really no different than the readers they use on the toll bridges over the Ohio river to bill you for using them.

I'm guessing this won't be taken well...

The vehicle is supposed to be properly tagged (plated).
    That's the law you agreed to when you got a driver's licence (a privilege, not a 'Right').

Those plates are supposed to be clearly visible, space for the plate provided by the manufacturer to keep you legal.
    It couldn't be more simple.

Anything in the public domain (roadways, public access parking spaces, etc.)
    It's clearly legal to video.

*IF* you aren't doing anything illegal, why is it a problem with you?

You all complain about crime, particularly crimes against persons, but you complain when a tool is available that will help solve, or potentially reduce those crimes?

It seems to be schizophrenic thinking (at best) to first want crime reduced, or solved,
    Then complain about tools that will allow law enforcement to do just that very thing...

You DEMAND things change, crimes get solved, then turn right around and demand law enforcement does it *YOUR* way...

It's not about *YOU*,
    And you can't have it both ways.

As to "Big Brother" watching *YOUR* every move...

Get over yourself, you just aren't that important.

No reason to give you the first thought if you aren't doing something illegal.
    There are thousands of hours of video of most people going about the business of normal life, and no one gives a crap in the slightest...

It's actually a pain in the butt to have so many average people in the frame when they are trying to catch criminals...
    From privacy rights to storage media space, to eyeballs to figure out the difference.

I have deleted thousands of hours of video of just average folks from my small security system simply because they weren't doing anything illegal (or interesting).

There is an entire industry in the billions of dollars just trying to filter the average folks OUT of video so they can concentrate on criminals.
    (See every video security company in the world)

This makes me think there are ulterior motives involved,
    From paranoia (mental illness), thinking they are so important the NSA/CIA/FBI is tracking their every move,
    (The tin foil hat bunch)

To shady people doing sketchy stuff not wanting to get caught...
    Ahhh, the old, "if you`re not doing anything wrong, then what`s the problem with government overreach", silly argument. And the government is supposed to hold to certain things too, as that was the deal, but that isn`t working out so well for us. Your argument is old, worn out, and insulting.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I’m from New Mexico… I’ve lived in Indiana most of my life though.
    Year’s ago I picked up a “license” plate with the NM state flag on it for my front bumper on my Jeep.
    I don’t drive reckless, don’t speed… rarely in a hurry. I’m a defensive driver… I ride my Harley year round when it’s not zero digits. Safe driver/rider!
    In the 1st month of having that NM plate on the front bumper of my Jeep…
    I was pulled over repeatedly until I finally took the plate off. It hangs on my garage wall now.
    I talked to a LEO buddy of mine and he said that South West US vehicles are targeted for drug trafficking.
    I can’t enjoy my plate because of the damned dope dealers!
    Watched a show a couple of years ago, think it was called "Catch me if you can". It was based in Florida, Georgia, and part of Alabama. I was amazed and shocked at roadside cameras and the data they were able to quickly process to locate the contestants/"escapees". They installed watchlist algorithms for specific types of vehicles, and an area from which plates were from. I'm glad Indiana doesn't require a front license plate.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I don’t believe anyone is saying that they cannot be used for good, just that they are questioning if that good outweighs the bad. Like the Franklin quote…

“Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.“ Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
    If I remember correctly, wasn`t it ruled illegal for the police to use GPS devices they had secretly put on vehicles they wanted to surveil? Even though it was saving them from actually having to spend the time and commit the manpower to tailing the suspect. Heck, lot`s of good probably would have come from that, but if you`ve already made up your mind about it, then you`ll likely never submit to this overreach by law enforcement...

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I find it curious you believe you have an expectation of privacy in public spaces or on someone else's property to the point you believe a technology shouldn't be allowed by those who wish to use it. Maybe have your HOA ban it.

We solved crime thing sounds JH's statement we circumnavigated the globe before internal combustion.
    :lmfao:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ahhh, the old, "if you`re not doing anything wrong, then what`s the problem with government overreach", silly argument. And the government is supposed to hold to certain things too, as that was the deal, but that isn`t working out so well for us. Your argument is old, worn out, and insulting.
    I think you gravely misunderstood my point. I've had JH on ignore for a long time, so I have no idea what his statement was, but I assure you that my beliefs are nowhere near his. Trust me on that one.

Top Bottom