• ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

Thanks that worked :yesway:

ST. LOUIS — A St. Louis city leader frustrated with the police response to rising crime called Tuesday on residents to arm themselves to protect their lives and property.

Alderman Charles Quincy Troupe said police are ineffective, outnumbered or don't care about the increase in crime in his north St. Louis ward. St. Louis has had 157 homicides in 2008, 33 more than last year at this time.

"The community has to be ready to defend itself, because it's clear the economy is going to get worse, and criminals are getting more bold," Troupe, 72, said Tuesday.

Troupe said that when he and residents approached a district police commander last year, they were told "there was nothing he could do to protect us and the community ... that he didn't have the manpower."
    Police did not immediately return requests for comment.
    Chief Dan Isom told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he understands Troupe's frustration but doesn't support citizens arming themselves. :noway:
    Carrying guns, he said, is not a "recipe for a less violent community." :xmad:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    But .....

Chief Dan Isom told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he understands Troupe's frustration but doesn't support citizens arming themselves.
    Carrying guns, he said, is not a "recipe for a less violent community."

=)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wonder why THIS news story hasn't been plastered everywhere you turn around?:rolleyes: Unfortunately the story that WILL get airtime will be the city leaders standing tall to denounce the aforementioned story. At least the police commander got his budgetary barb in!(Doesn't have the manpower to do the job he's tasked with.) That should be enough to get more fed $$'s to hire more cops, to spend more resources, to get the same amount of work done.(Not cop bashing at all, but more police aren't the answer, better use of the ones we have is!) Pull the cops out of their cars and get them "back on the beat" living and working amongst those they are charged to protect. Oh, and most importantly, when they do do their job, support them by putting the criminals in jail not pleading them back to the street.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Wonder why THIS news story hasn't been plastered everywhere you turn around?:rolleyes: Unfortunately the story that WILL get airtime will be the city leaders standing tall to denounce the aforementioned story. At least the police commander got his budgetary barb in!(Doesn't have the manpower to do the job he's tasked with.) That should be enough to get more fed $$'s to hire more cops, to spend more resources, to get the same amount of work done.(Not cop bashing at all, but more police aren't the answer, better use of the ones we have is!) Pull the cops out of their cars and get them "back on the beat" living and working amongst those they are charged to protect. Oh, and most importantly, when they do do their job, support them by putting the criminals in jail not pleading them back to the street.

Unfortunately, the police aren't required to protect the people. (per SCOTUS)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Unfortunately, the police aren't required to protect the people. (per SCOTUS)
    I know this, and you know this, but others see Protect and Serve on the cars and think just that. Modern policing is mainly reactive, I am a proponent of proactive policing, but have no false ideas that they can protect me or mine. Back when cops walked a beat and knew their neighbors personally, crime was MUCH easier to prevent. Nowadays, I've noticed a trend that officers tend to live farther and farther away from their assigned patrol areas. I see that as a detriment to proactive policing. I am new to Indy, but I notice a large amount of IMPD patrol vehicles parked at homes in Brownsburg, and Plainfield, Avon, etc.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I know this, and you know this, but others see Protect and Serve on the cars and think just that. Modern policing is mainly reactive, I am a proponent of proactive policing, but have no false ideas that they can protect me or mine. Back when cops walked a beat and knew their neighbors personally, crime was MUCH easier to prevent. Nowadays, I've noticed a trend that officers tend to live farther and farther away from their assigned patrol areas. I see that as a detriment to proactive policing. I am new to Indy, but I notice a large amount of IMPD patrol vehicles parked at homes in Brownsburg, and Plainfield, Avon, etc.

All the departments around here have removed the "To Protect and Serve" slogan from their cars.

I agree about cops "walking their beat". I remember when I was a kid, the Chief would go around feeding the parking meters rather than ticket. And we would go with our classmates to the police/fire station and he would "lock" us up in the jail. (Tiny town - police/jail and fire dept. in the same building.) We even got to slide down the fire pole. (Building's gone now.)

We knew the cops' names, knew their families, etc. Now, so many of the officers in this town live in others and some County deputies work part-time here. Don't know any of them anymore. That's sad! (Town is still small - the sign states pop. 3200)

Sort-of wish we could go back to those days.....

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    We knew the cops' names, knew their families, etc. Now, so many of the officers in this town live in others and some County deputies work part-time here. Don't know any of them anymore. That's sad! (Town is still small - the sign states pop. 3200)

Sort-of wish we could go back to those days.....
    That is the whole point I was getting at, so many officers live away from where they work, so the crime is not their problem except during their shift, then home to the nice neighborhood with low crime.(cause there are 10 squads per block:D)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It seems like police chiefs in big cities have some kind of genetic defect that makes them knee-jerk and respond with lies about how people arming themselves is unsafe and will make the situation worse. They all seem to do it. Maybe they're all related.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    It seems like police chiefs in big cities have some kind of genetic defect that makes them knee-jerk and respond with lies about how people arming themselves is unsafe and will make the situation worse. They all seem to do it. Maybe they're all related.

It's the damn International Association of Chief's of Police that is the problem. They have a very strong liberal anti gun philosophy and are usually onboard with the elitists left.

The International Association of Chiefs of Police

IACP Research Center

http://www.theiacp.org/documents/pdfs/Publications/ACF1875.pdf

IACP - Legislative & Policy - Press Release

Excerpt:

POLICE CHIEFS RESPOND TO FIREARM CONFISCATION PLEDGE CAMPAIGN

The International Association of Chiefs of Police is aware of efforts currently underway to pressure police chiefs and mayors to pledge never to seize firearms from law-abiding citizens. The IACP opposes this effort and believes that its proponents are doing a disservice to the brave men and women of our nation’s law enforcement agencies by questioning their commitment to protecting the rights of citizens they are sworn to protect. Any such suggestion is simply absurd and unfairly impugns the integrity of law enforcement officers.

Police Chiefs and law enforcement officers have dedicated their lives to protecting the rights of the citizens they serve. The enforcement powers of police officers are not used in an arbitrary or capricious fashion and are governed by a wide array of federal, state and local laws and regulations. In addition, enforcement actions taken by law enforcement officers are closely monitored through a variety of administrative, judicial, executive and legislative oversight mechanisms. Finally, law enforcement officers already swear an oath to uphold the laws of the community they serve and the Constitution of the United States. Asking that they sign such a pledge is both unnecessary and insulting.

Proponents of this campaign claim that they support our nation’s law enforcement agencies and that they share IACP’s commitment to combating crime and violence. Unfortunately, their actions tell a different story.

This “pledge campaign” is simply part of a larger effort to eviscerate our nation’s firearms laws. In recent months, the sponsors of this pledge have worked with their Congressional allies to advance reckless and irresponsible legislation that may impede criminal investigations and diminish the ability of law enforcement agencies to protect their communities from the crime and violence associated from the illegal use of firearms.

For example, HR 5005 would significantly reduce the ability of federal, state and local law enforcement officials to identify and trace illegal gun trafficking and traffickers. HR 1384 would eliminate current restrictions on interstate gun sales, undercutting state firearms regulations and leading to a likely increase in firearms trafficking. HR 5092 bill will severely limit the ability of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to revoke the licenses of gun dealers who violate federal law.
    The IACP opposes these efforts and we urge Congress to reject these dangerous proposals and, instead, work with us to strengthen federal gun laws, and provide more resources and tools to protect public safety.
    Founded in 1893, the International Association of Chiefs of Police is the world’s oldest and largest association of law enforcement executives with more than 20,000 members in 100 countries.

Just to list a few - IACP is a Major Problem :xmad:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, technically, the populace arming themselves will increase crime: JUSTIFIABLE HOMICIDE! :)

I appluad the Mayor of St. Loius, deplore the Chief of Police. The mayor obviously understands that government services like police, fire and medical protection take some time to arrive. Unfortunately, in that time, alot can happen. I am a firm believer that if a family is to maintain a defensive arm, good first aid training/equipment and a fire extinquisher/baking soda (grease fires increase exponentially with the more BACON you consume), this is the premise and foundation of a good defense for one's loved ones.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    IACP: "their commitment to protecting the rights of citizens they are SWORN TO PROTECT". HUH?

Since the SCOTUS declared that the police "have no duty" to protect the citizens (and around here- have removed the "Protect and Serve" motto from their vehicles) they (IACP) must be brain-dead!

No, not all Chiefs of Police (or Sheriffs) believe as IACP does. Many (most?) support the rights of the people to arm themselves.
    It may just be true for smaller towns/counties, but they are out there. :patriot:

Top Bottom