• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    What is the purpose of a chrome lined barrel? Whats the difference between chrome and Chrome Moly Vanadium? I am asking specificly about ar15 barrels.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Chrome lined will last for more rounds than a chrome Moly, but a moly is far more accurate. I personally have owned both, and I would take Moly every time. Accurate rifles make my shooter's self esteem feel better. :D:D

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have both rifles and handguns that have chromed lined barrels and some don't. All of them are more accurate than I am, regardless of being lined or not. :(

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I shoot my rifle fast and slow, and I don't clean it unless its necessary. Chrome-lined for me.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    "Chrome" is a plating of chromium applied to the bore, chromoly vanadium is a family of steels containing relatively high quantities of chromium and vanadium.

Chrome plated barrels have the reputation of being less accurate, due partly to the results of coating thickness variation. Though good barrels with good plating, a la Noveske, can have less total variation than junk unplated barrels I'll avoid naming names of. A blanket 'chromed barrels are less accurate' ignores the variety of factors that determine a given barrel's performance.

Chrome plating has the advantage of being more resistant to corrosion than bare chromoly, as well as more resistant to wear especially at elevated temperatures.

I typically skip chrome as I have no automatic rifles, shoot moly, and much prefer stainless to chromoly.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    When I researched this same topic before buying my last AR upper, the general consensus was chrome lined has a greater possibility to last longer. The rough guesstimates that were given to me were chromoly would be good for approx 7k rounds before any degradation in accuracy and chrome lined would be closer to 10k. It was also explained that chrome lined wasn't as accurate to start with so degradation in accuracy wasn't as noticeable if the round count was closer to 7k.
    I ended up buying chrome lined because I am not trying to shoot a hair off of a gnats ass like so many on here.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    According to that article, chrome lining accounts for group sizes increasing by a quarter of an inch. I can't have that!

No way I'm going to have my groups triple in size. :)

I shoot internet groups. No way I'm going to have them increase in size all the way up to gun magazine groups.

Top Bottom