• Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Hello INGO,

A group of folks (7-8 people) at our church would like to get our preacher a rifle for Christmas. My question is would that be legal? Every person will chip in X amount of dollars to get it. Our preacher is a "proper person" and the folks chipping in are "proper persons".

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.” - Luke 22:36, NIV

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Buying a gun (you are the buyer) to give as a gift (for your purposes), is legal unless something has changed.

Assuming you have no reason to believe the recipient isn't a proper person.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Buying a gun (you are the buyer) to give as a gift (for your purposes), is legal unless something has changed.

^ This exactly.

Check through my started threads and you'll find I've gifted several Crikett rifles to members kids on several different occasions.

You are good to go, as long as the preacher remains a "proper person", and is a same state resident.
    The folks chipping in money have nothing to do with the sale legally.

Only the buyer, and in this case the giftee(?) recipient.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You may purchase a firearm as a gift as long as there is no exchange of money, items, work done, sexual favors, etc. I've had to deny a firearm sale before because I overheard a dad telling his son (as he was filling out the 4473) that he would buy the gun for him, but that the son would have to work all summer to pay him back. That's a straw purchase, not a gift. As long as there is no exchange of goods or services, and is a legitimate gift with no strings attached... you are good to go.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Hello INGO,

A group of folks (7-8 people) at our church would like to get our preacher a rifle for Christmas. My question is would that be legal? Every person will chip in X amount of dollars to get it. Our preacher is a "proper person" and the folks chipping in are "proper persons".

Any help is greatly appreciated.

That is sooo kool. Awesome idea.:rockwoot:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Thanks for all the replies. I have done some research on gifting a gun so we're good there. My main concern was multiple people giving the money to purchase it. Thanks again.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    You may purchase a firearm as a gift as long as there is no exchange of money, items, work done, sexual favors, etc. I've had to deny a firearm sale before because I overheard a dad telling his son (as he was filling out the 4473) that he would buy the gun for him, but that the son would have to work all summer to pay him back. That's a straw purchase, not a gift. As long as there is no exchange of goods or services, and is a legitimate gift with no strings attached... you are good to go.
    That's darn good info. Gift is one thing, but buying it as a trade for services rendered is not?

seeker1321

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    Some of the men from my church did this for our pastor in October for Pastor's Appreciation Month. We all chipped in and got him a two barrel Mossberg 500 kit, with a few boxes of ammo. We had a potluck dinner at a church member's house that had enough land to go shooting on. After dinner we presented it to him, and then went out back and let him try it out. We decided to present it at a private dinner rather then in front of the whole congregation due to mixed views on firearms by different members of the church. Also we made clear that it was a gift from the individuals that contributed and not a gift from the church.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

If you don't believe your pastor is a proper person, you really need to rethink some things!

Top Bottom