• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You may purchase a firearm as a gift as long as there is no exchange of money, items, work done, sexual favors, etc. I've had to deny a firearm sale before because I overheard a dad telling his son (as he was filling out the 4473) that he would buy the gun for him, but that the son would have to work all summer to pay him back. That's a straw purchase, not a gift. As long as there is no exchange of goods or services, and is a legitimate gift with no strings attached... you are good to go.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a straw purchase has nothing to do with payment.
    as long as you are not buying the gun for someone who can not legally own it, you are good.
    I pretty sure I can make a deal with my daughter and agree to buy her a gun in exchange for her cutting the grass all summer.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Are you dead set on a rifle? Because this would make a pretty good gift for a "man of the cloth"... :)

CimarronHolySmoker.011.JPG

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Firearms as a gift can be given .. In your situation you should have no problems in gifting this firearm to the preacher. Very nice gesture in my opinion.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a straw purchase has nothing to do with payment.
    as long as you are not buying the gun for someone who can not legally own it, you are good.
    I pretty sure I can make a deal with my daughter and agree to buy her a gun in exchange for her cutting the grass all summer.

Actually, you are incorrect.

From form 4473, question 11a:

Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: you are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. (see instructions for question 11a)

Here are the instructions for Question 11a:

Question 11 a. Actual transferee/buyer. For purposes of this form, you are the actual transferee/buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself. (e.g. redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party. ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT THE ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER of the firearm and must answer "NO" to question 11 a. The licensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer "YES" to question 11 a.

So, if you buy a gun for your daughter, but she has to work it off to earn that money... whose money is really being used to buy the firearm? Fine line, and I don't know any FFL's who will risk the chance of losing their business in that situation.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually, you are incorrect.

From form 4473, question 11a:

Here are the instructions for Question 11a:

So, if you buy a gun for your daughter, but she has to work it off to earn that money... whose money is really being used to buy the firearm? Fine line, and I don't know any FFL's who will risk the chance of losing their business in that situation.

So fine you almost can't see it. It could also be viewed as the father buying the gun with the intent of "selling" (or bartering) it to his daughter at some future date, which would be perfectly legal as long as it isn't unlawful for her to own it. I think if I were the father in this scenario, it would be a "don't ask, don't tell" situation. :dunno:

Top Bottom