Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    So, out of curiosity, what's the difference between BJJ and small circle JJ? I only ask because my stepson has taken small circle for many years and it looks pretty awesome. I participated in one class with him and it was pretty mind blowing. I'm too lazy to look up the difference though... :):
    I don't know enough about Small Circle Jujitsu to comment on specific differences.

I understand it to be based on traditional Japanese Jujitsu which has most of the major elements of BJJ and then some.

What matters more than the technical differences are the training methods. If they train with resistance it is more likely to be effective than if they do not.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This is where I went.

I don't know enough about Small Circle Jujitsu to comment on specific differences.

I understand it to be based on traditional Japanese Jujitsu which has most of the major elements of BJJ and then some.

What matters more than the technical differences are the training methods. If they train with resistance it is more likely to be effective than if they do not.

Thank you both.

The school nearest me is over in Greenwood. Don't know anything about it other than my stepson laughed when I said I might check it out. I know he started taking classes once a week, but I think he drives to OH near the KY border. I don't think I want to go that far, plus he probably goes for advanced classes since he's a BB and instructor. Anyone know of anything near the Greenwood area that is well rated?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Thank you both.

The school nearest me is over in Greenwood. Don't know anything about it other than my stepson laughed when I said I might check it out. I know he started taking classes once a week, but I think he drives to OH near the KY border. I don't think I want to go that far, plus he probably goes for advanced classes since he's a BB and instructor. Anyone know of anything near the Greenwood area that is well rated?
    What school were you looking at? Why did he laugh?

He goes to KY for small circle jujitsu or for BJJ?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I believe he goes for small circle, but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask him when he gets off work around 11. His words were that BJJ was nowhere near as good as small circle. I'm quoting him, it's not something I think myself as I have no experience with it. I do know that people get very dismissive about their art over other arts and even other schools. When I took TKD back in my teens my instructor was very dismissive of other schools in the area, especially those he called Mom and Pop dojos. I took TKD for years, as well as some Judo and Shorei gojo ryu, but the SCJJ class that I took made me realize how much more powerful it was for self defense in just one class. That's why I'm interested in seeking some form of JJ instruction.

The schools I know of near me are:

https://www.ibjja.com/ Indiana BJJ Academy

Carlson Gracie Indianapolis Brazilian Jiu Jitsu​

Marcello's Indianapolis Jiu Jitsu Coach - Brazilian JIu Jitsu Academy​

The first one is about 10 minutes down the road from me. The last one is about 15 minutes away. The middle one would be more of a time investment at closer to 20 - 25 minutes from me.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I believe he goes for small circle, but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask him when he gets off work around 11. His words were that BJJ was nowhere near as good as small circle. I'm quoting him, it's not something I think myself as I have no experience with it. I do know that people get very dismissive about their art over other arts and even other schools. When I took TKD back in my teens my instructor was very dismissive of other schools in the area, especially those he called Mom and Pop dojos. I took TKD for years, as well as some Judo and Shorei gojo ryu, but the SCJJ class that I took made me realize how much more powerful it was for self defense in just one class. That's why I'm interested in seeking some form of JJ instruction.
    I would be interested to learn more about what and how they train that makes him feel it is superior to everything else.

Most BJJ schools probably have a narrower focus than a traditional Ju Jitsu school, concentrating on sport applications and grounded positions. Its the training methods and live pressure testing that makes it powerful. SCJJ may be a broader system than how much BJJ it taught today.

I suspect that he is biased though. Im curious how much direct experience he has with BJJ.

If his school does Judo style randori on the feet to practice their throws and BJJ style grappling on the ground to work for positions and finishes (i.e. live grappling in all positions) to supplement all of the other things they do, its probably effective. If they just practice and drill with a semi-cooperative uke, its probably not as effective.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I would be interested to learn more about what and how they train that makes him feel it is superior to everything else.

Most BJJ schools probably have a narrower focus than a traditional Ju Jitsu school, concentrating on sport applications and grounded positions. Its the training methods and live pressure testing that makes it powerful. SCJJ may be a broader system than how much BJJ it taught today.

I suspect that he is biased though. Im curious how much direct experience he has with BJJ.

If his school does Judo style randori on the feet to practice their throws and BJJ style grappling on the ground to work for positions and finishes (i.e. live grappling in all positions) to supplement all of the other things they do, its probably effective. If they just practice and drill with a semi-cooperative uke, its probably not as effective.

From what I observed they're doing live grappling and it looked very effective. Like I said, I'll have to ask him his thoughts, but based on exposure to various different arts and schools, I'm leaning towards bias and parroting what he's heard leadership with his organization say.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Evidently what he takes is a mix. Small circle JJ, modern Arnis and some form of Kenpo that I didn't quite catch. He studied for years down in Bedford. He was pretty dismissive of BJJ. Not knowing much about the stuff he takes or BJJ I don't have a frame of reference to know whether the opinion is based on bias or fact. I do know that there isn't anything nearby that offers anything similar to what he takes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Arnis = Kali = Escrima, all pretty much similar schools for the same basic art and a deadly one it is

If I had a choice, I would want no part of a fight with any of them without a distance weapon, such as a blade or staff, and even then I would withdraw at the earliest opportunity

Better part of valor and all

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Arnis = Kali = Escrima, all pretty much similar schools for the same basic art and a deadly one it is

If I had a choice, I would want no part of a fight with any of them without a distance weapon, such as a blade or staff, and even then I would withdraw at the earliest opportunity

Better part of valor and all

I've seen him fight in the one demonstration class I went to and I would have to agree.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Sounds
    Evidently what he takes is a mix. Small circle JJ, modern Arnis and some form of Kenpo that I didn't quite catch. He studied for years down in Bedford. He was pretty dismissive of BJJ. Not knowing much about the stuff he takes or BJJ I don't have a frame of reference to know whether the opinion is based on bias or fact. I do know that there isn't anything nearby that offers anything similar to what he takes.
    Looks like I should go down there and check it out.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don't know if they're even teaching in Bedford any more. I'll ask him. I'll get the school and instructor name if I can (he's already in bed as he works the night shift at Medtronic).

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Every week when I leave BJJ I say “I suck at this.” I come back for the next class and still suck at it, but I guess coming back is the important part.

Same. I knew when I started that it would likely take me twice as long to get anywhere (to the next belt level just for something to measure) and I wasn't really off by much. I started at 45 after never having done any kind of grappling before and it turns out you can teach an old dog new tricks... it just takes me longer to learn them. The key is just to keep going.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thank you both.

I go to Alan Stockman's place in Greenwood. You can try it for a week for free, they'll provide the gi. Note it is more competition focused, but does incorporate some self-defense stuff. I'm not interested in competition, but it's not hard to see what is more applicable outside of that context and favor that.

http://www.carlsongracieindy.com

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I go to Alan Stockman's place in Greenwood. You can try it for a week for free, they'll provide the gi. Note it is more competition focused, but does incorporate some self-defense stuff. I'm not interested in competition, but it's not hard to see what is more applicable outside of that context and favor that.

http://www.carlsongracieindy.com

Thank you for the link and info about the place. I'll have to check them out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Every week when I leave BJJ I say “I suck at this.” I come back for the next class and still suck at it, but I guess coming back is the important part.

"Sucking at something is the first step toward being sort of good at something" - Jake the Dog

Top Bottom