• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Best street fighter in the world cant stop a bullet as to dam old to fight here anymore.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Best street fighter in the world cant stop a bullet as to dam old to fight here anymore.
    Maybe. That depends on the circumstances. He may be able to stop you from accessing the gun at all. He may be able to continue fighting after you wound him. It may be a situation that doesn't warrant lethal force.

There are any number of circumstances where going to guns isn't the best answer. In some situations trying to access the gun puts you at a disadvantage.

However, it is certainly the case that some people are not in a physical condition to train or to adequately defend themselves. Those people have fewer options. Unfortunately, having few options doesn't make the available options better.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Danaher handing out great advice! Live sparring and actually training combat sports is the best preparation. Martial arts are awesome. The history, artistry, traditions, etc. are reasons in themselves to study the various traditional arts. They’ll also teach some solid striking skills. Combat sports will get you more focused on an actual fight. If I had 6 months to prepare for a fight, I would go to an MMA school.

Also, being well-rounded is important too. Andrew Wiltse is a very high-level BJJ black belt. He also spent a lot of time as a bouncer. He’s said it more than a couple times that thinking BJJ will get you ready for a fight will end badly for you. The concrete is undefeated, as are unseen friends soccer kicking your head. At the same time, you can be a heck of a boxer but end up in a world of hurt if you mess with a high-level wrestler. The bottom line: avoid fights.

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Maybe. That depends on the circumstances. He may be able to stop you from accessing the gun at all. He may be able to continue fighting after you wound him. It may be a situation that doesn't warrant lethal force.

There are any number of circumstances where going to guns isn't the best answer. In some situations trying to access the gun puts you at a disadvantage.

However, it is certainly the case that some people are not in a physical condition to train or to adequately defend themselves. Those people have fewer options. Unfortunately, having few options doesn't make the available options better.
    Your spot on and agree.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I took Krav Maga for four years, one thing it taught me was that there’s a better way to kick a man in the “twig and berries!”, it also taught me that “In a knife fight, the winner bleeds, and the looser gushes!”

It’s 100 percent self defense, you’ll never see Krav in a mma cage.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Becoming entangled was often a factor in citizens losing gun fights. Knowing enough grappling or striking to free yourself to access your weapon is a useful skill.

I would say worrying about what's best is roughly as pointless as worrying about which of the common duty calibers to carry. Especially in places that don't have a lot of options. If all you have access to is BJJ and BJJ is an 80% solution, does it matter if there's an 85% solution 50 miles away? No.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    It’s 100 percent self defense, you’ll never see Krav in a mma cage.
    I think there's a reason for that. Its probably not the reason you think.

Some of the stuff is probably very useful and valid. Its only as useful as the ability to apply it with realistic resistance. Everything that is "too dangerous" to be included in competition is much more possible when the user has the base of positionsl awareness, timing, ability to deal with aggression, mindset, etc, etc that comes from live competition.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Becoming entangled was often a factor in citizens losing gun fights. Knowing enough grappling or striking to free yourself to access your weapon is a useful skill.

I would say worrying about what's best is roughly as pointless as worrying about which of the common duty calibers to carry. Especially in places that don't have a lot of options. If all you have access to is BJJ and BJJ is an 80% solution, does it matter if there's an 85% solution 50 miles away? No.
    I agree with the above. However, if you're making the choice, pick the one that will be practiced with real resistance.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Started out in CMA, and I STILL do CMA and have a mook jong in the basement kwoon (Wing Chun, oldest guy every session).

Nephews all asked me what to study, I told them BJJ.

The fights I see have this usual progression:

1. concrete monkey punches;
    2. hugging each other;
    3. falls to ground and this is where the Ne-waza of BJJ sines (which makes sense as it is devoted to Ne-Waza).

Also I like (I did it under JJ Machado):

1. the work ethic of BJJ. On holidays, CMA will take the day off, but BJJ has all day practices.

2. the fact that you can practice at speed without gear.

3. BJJ encourages suppleness and fitness.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Teacher over art. However, I am a fan of BJJ and I recommend it without reservation.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I would like to take Krav Maga but there isn't any that I know of around me. To mirror what someone up thread said; "if I had six months to prepare for a fight", I'd take up Krav Maga.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I think there's a reason for that. Its probably not the reason you think.

Some of the stuff is probably very useful and valid. Its only as useful as the ability to apply it with realistic resistance. Everything that is "too dangerous" to be included in competition is much more possible when the user has the base of positionsl awareness, timing, ability to deal with aggression, mindset, etc, etc that comes from live competition.
    You are being nice. Krav Maga is usually talked about in the same manner as Systema. With Derision by those in the know. That being said, I am sure there is some that is beneficial.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    The easiest way to lose a fight is to stand and strike. I took a few years of Muai Thai I'm 6'2" and 230lbs. That being said I would mess with one of the older guys at the gym probably 20 years older than me maybe 5'4" on a good day he was true Gracie and would fold me up in a matter of seconds. If I had to learn 1 form it would be Jiu-Jitsu as I feel it's the most practical for your everyday person #2 would be Krav Maga but feel this is more geared for law enforcement and military but extremely effective regardless. Remember everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    You are being nice. Krav Maga is usually talked about in the same manner as Systema. With Derision by those in the know. That being said, I am sure there is some that is beneficial.
    I have zero first-hand experience with Krav. Every video I’ve ever seen of it has been...questionable. I’d be open to hearing more from people who have actually trained in it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One of my big decision points to go BJJ instead of MMA or boxing was old guys. Striking creates cumulative damage over the years and you see that in a lot of practitioners who were serious about it. I wish I'd started fifteen years ago. I'd have injured myself and others less on the street, I suspect, then I did with striking and at no reduction in effectiveness.

Top Bottom