• ...and so much more!
  • Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    After reading this great thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ess/51817-five_to_survive_the_first_five.html

I have come to the conclusion that a tactical tomahawk is a good thing to own. Now, I am looking for opinions on which on to buy and why. I have been looking at the Kestral and the SOG, but there was another one called the Grayman Grax that really caught my attention as well. I am not interested in bling or aesthetics. I want a tool to depend on. In the past I have always been biased towards SOG products, but want to get opinions from actual 'hawk owners.

Last edited:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i have owned RMJ, SOG, and am a PROUD supporter of the Grayman Grax.

of the three:

i wouldn't buy the SOG.

the RMJ is top of the line and you will find no better. they are pricy, but they deliver. you will not be disappointed. RMJ Forge makes serious tools, for serious business. they are comfortable, well designed, and made to last the fight and add a fort night. they are GREAT, some of the best hawks around.

the GRAX. i have chopped cars to pieces with mine. EASILY chopped them to pieces. i am being 100% honest on this one being the biggest bang for your buck. yes, mike is my friend, but his tools need no assistance in terms of sheer ability. search "grax" and you can find the threads with my pictures.

IMO, it depends on how much you want to spend and what you deem "acceptable" in terms of looks. the GRAXs' are rough. not bad, but just not hours of finishing. you will see tool marks, maybe a gouge or two... no high polish finish. the RMJ will look MUCH nice and be more finished. it also cost 2x as much.

i prefer the curved shaft of the GRAX, for easier recovery, also.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    IMO, it depends on how much you want to spend and what you deem "acceptable" in terms of looks. the GRAXs' are rough. not bad, but just not hours of finishing. you will see tool marks, maybe a gouge or two... no high polish finish. the RMJ will look MUCH nice and be more finished. it also cost 2x as much.

i prefer the curved shaft of the GRAX, for easier recovery, also.

Keeping all posibilities open, is the Grax balanced enough to throw?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Did K5 ever come thru with the last batch of paid for Tomahawks? I've been out of the loop but wanted a K5 until this unfilled order fiasco. It had great reviews for performance and durability

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Keeping all posibilities open, is the Grax balanced enough to throw?

not being much for throwing (i threw hawks and knives ONE day ever..) its weight is all in the head. and it wont stick anywhere but the blade. the spike is not ground to a point, its a spike (completely flat, but ground to a spike which has 4 sides.).

the k5 is an excellent choice, too.... unsure on the state of the k5 though.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Does anyone watch Special Ops Mission? The one that was just on about an Air Force pilot getting shot down had an Apache Indian that was a tracker, he had a hawk does anyone know what brand it is?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Check this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/38163-who_has_a_tomahawk.html

My opinion remains unchanged since then:

Sold an ATC VTAC, SOG Fusion and a KR Johnson French 'Hawk to a forum member.

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

Still have a Swamp Rat Crash Rat, and a couple of inexpensive hawks: a CS Norse Hawk and Frontier Hawk, for throwing.

crashrat24vw1.jpg

ATC has decent products but Prisco has a far-less-than-stellar reputation, costing a lot of reputable folks in the blade industry a good bit of money - Justin Gingrich of Ranger Knives among them. I really kinda surprised Ernie Emerson opted to work with ATC/Prisco.

SOG had some troubles with the first gen Fusion handles breaking. They did a revision of some sort and the troubles lessened. It is a decent economy hawk of the "tactical" style though if you hold an ATC VTAC/CQC in one hand and a Fusion in the other, the quality difference is immediate. ATC really does have a decent product even if the principle is an ******* in my opinion. ('Course, that opinion is shared by most folks walking the halls of an industry show.) ;)

One new and great looking hawk - R&D Sayoc/Winkler Tac-Hawk.

tomahawk2.jpg

The K5 Tactical is a great 'hawk that, if I was going to spend the money on an ATC, I would go with this instead. They had some delivery problems when they started 3 years or so ago but they seem to have resolved it now.

TH-S-Large_LRG.jpg

The Graham Bros did a GREAT hawk that was a short run production. I don't think they were sold in large numbers (and they are a custom maker) but they were impeccable! A friend picked one up and I was very impressed.
    gb3a.jpg

My favorite? Well, maybe the Graham Bros but since they are effectively unavailable, then it has got to be the RMJ Forge hawks. These have felt better than any I've ever held. Not cheap, but GREAT quality seldom is inexpensive in GOOD blades. If you're going someplace where it CANNOT fail, then I would go RMJ.
    Copy%20of%20October2002A%20002.jpg

Just want to learn to throw? Get a cheap Cold Steel Norse hawk and get started!

Hawks are fun! If you just want a cheap hatchet, the Gerber/Fiskars is hard to beat!

Top Bottom