• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Anyone keeping track of these pests this year? I've got 4 this week.

We've had some rodent problems in our walls, and I think these guys are getting in. Later in the fall last year I tried some catch and release traps (my wife is always one to catch and release). Well they turned out to be great feeders, not so great traps.

So over the last week I've stumbled on a main entrance to their den. It's just under our front porch. I also bought a cheap pellet gun from a LGS (I'm in city limits and would prefer the neighbors not know I'm hunting these pests).

Managed to smoke one from just above him on my porch. He was rustling in the leaves as I was heading out to run an errand. I ran back in the house to grab the pellet gun and he was still out there; he never saw it coming. About an hour later I saw another enter the burrow. I camped out in my front bushes until he poked his head out to see if the coast was clear. It wasn't. Head shot.

Today my wife told me she saw another pair going in to the porch hole. As luck would have it about 20 seconds after I got back in the bushes one poked out to see if the coast was clear. Another head shot. I waited another 10 min or so but never saw the 2nd. A few hours later my wife told me he was out on the porch again. So I snuck around the garage and took him out.

Pellet rifle is surprisingly accurate. The bush shots were from maybe 5 yards. The garage shot was about 10 yards. All four kills were clean and quick.

Little guys are pretty fun to hunt.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    No cats or dogs here. In fact the large ferrel cat (seen on trailcam) that just killed a bird overnight is on my wifes radar. My wife has spent unlimited time on gardening, flower beds and a bird sanctuary. She's left eye dominant/right handed and has been head shooting the chipmunks and the tree rats that mess with the sanctuary. Plenty of trapping and shooting lots of critters on my behalf but glad she is always willing to step up anytime she sees something, which is often. Snakes here kill a lot of mice and chipmunks, and she got a great pic the other day of a toad kill by the garden.

PXL_20220609_205257301~2.jpg
    Attach0_20230512_203917.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    No cats or dogs here. In fact the large ferrel cat (seen on trailcam) that just killed a bird overnight is on my wifes radar. My wife has spent unlimited time on gardening, flower beds and a bird sanctuary. She's left eye dominant/right handed and has been head shooting the chipmunks and the tree rats that mess with the sanctuary. Plenty of trapping and shooting lots of critters on my behalf but glad she is always willing to step up anytime she sees something, which is often. Snakes here kill a lot of mice and chipmunks, and she got a great pic the other day of a toad kill by the garden.

View attachment 275669
    View attachment 275675
    Good shooting, Annie Oakley.

Top Bottom