• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    We have owned our home for almost 5 years and we were told that it needed a liner put in it before we could use it, well it is now time to start looking for a liner and someone with some know how. Anyone done it? Can I just buy a kit? The fireplace and chimney are stone with a woodburning insert. We also need a cap. We have had quotes done and I am not interested in paying the kind of money they want to do it.

Mojonasty1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    if it is a metal insert you might be able to run triple wall pipe up though middle of chimney with metal cap. I m assuming by liner you mean your ceramic flue liners are deteriorated. If that is the case make sure the masonry on your chimney is still structurally sound. Might need some tuck pointing. hope this helps.

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    Not sure how far you are from Indy but I work for a small chimney repair company and we do a lot of liners like the one you need. If you want to do it yourself I know there are kits that can be had, but I'm not sure where you would buy one. We get our supplies from a distributor so I doubt you'd be able to get one from the same place. If you would like, depending on distance from town, we could come out and give you a quote for the price of repair through us. Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested, or if you don't want to go that route, maybe I can give you some more advice.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    This past week's Ask This Old House showed an installation with a kit. There is a mesh with a ring piece attached that is mortared to the inside top of the fireplace. A pipe is run down the chimney from the top and attached to a collar that was attached to the mesh, and mortar is poured down around the pipe (a lot of mortar was used in 5 gallon buckets). The pipe is cut to length and and a top cap and flue is attached to the pipe at the top of the chimney. A line is attached to the flue and run down the center of the pipe to the fireplace for opening and closing.

Not exact, but similar to this:

thumbnail.aspx

Last edited:

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I was a certified chimney sweep for years until I had my shoulder replaced. It is not a do it yourself job. Remember, you are building a fire in your house. Triple wall is not made for woodstoves, so rule that out. Also, don't pour mortar down your chimney, they were using some sort of an insulation material that does contain some portland cement, but it is not mortar. I know is sounds expensive, but done properly it is a lifetime investment. Also, if you had a fireplace insert just shoved into a fireplace, it is highly likely that the damaged flue tiles are the result of a chimney fire. A good chimney sweep will properly diagnose and document this and it should be covered by your homeowners insurance. Look for a Certified Chimney Sweep, go to csia.org and punch in you zipcode to find one in your area. If you have questions about whether a particular bid is out of line, feel free to PM me, I can still look up prices and can tell you if it's a legit quote. Good luck.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I installed a new insert and liner in my house 6 yeas ago. I bought all the liner pieces form menards. You have to buy the correct liner pieces they make a thinner insulated liner for heaters but the liner for a fireplace is stainless steel. It has 2 SS walls with about 1-2" of insulation between the them. The pipe I bought was 6" diameter but once you add the 2 walls and insulation it was around 8-9" thick. Here is a picture of the stuff they sell. I would recommend that you have 2 friends help you install this setup. 2 guys on the roof one to help you lock them together and to add the support rods, one to hold it in place while this is being done and one in the house to line it up as it is being feed down to the insert.
    Chimney Liner Depot - DuraTech 6inx48in Chimney Length

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    www.hearth.com may help you. I had my insert installed with the liner, insulation and cap all together. Some things I do myself, this involves the house burning down so I paid the professional.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Also, don't pour mortar down your chimney, they were using some sort of an insulation material that does contain some portland cement, but it is not mortar.

I think they said it was insulation now that you mention it. I wasn't paying close attention as I knew that there is no way in hell I'm ever going to be hauling loads of 5 gallon buckets of anything up to the top of the chimney.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I should have asked how tall is your chimney? Mine is almost 40 feet and there is no way I'm going to do it.

About 18-20, I guess that's one good thing about ranch homes with a hip roof... likely the only good thing about a hip roof

I installed a new insert and liner in my house 6 yeas ago. I bought all the liner pieces form menards. You have to buy the correct liner pieces they make a thinner insulated liner for heaters but the liner for a fireplace is stainless steel. It has 2 SS walls with about 1-2" of insulation between the them. The pipe I bought was 6" diameter but once you add the 2 walls and insulation it was around 8-9" thick. Here is a picture of the stuff they sell. I would recommend that you have 2 friends help you install this setup. 2 guys on the roof one to help you lock them together and to add the support rods, one to hold it in place while this is being done and one in the house to line it up as it is being feed down to the insert.

That's the kind of stuff I was looking at right there

I was a certified chimney sweep for years until I had my shoulder replaced. It is not a do it yourself job. Remember, you are building a fire in your house. Triple wall is not made for woodstoves, so rule that out. So this will not work for a wood burning insert?

Also, don't pour mortar down your chimney, they were using some sort of an insulation material that does contain some portland cement, but it is not mortar. I know is sounds expensive, but done properly it is a lifetime investment.

Also, if you had a fireplace insert just shoved into a fireplace, it is highly likely that the damaged flue tiles are the result of a chimney fire. A good chimney sweep will properly diagnose and document this and it should be covered by your homeowners insurance. I didn't have anything shoved into the fireplace, it was there when we bought it and when they came out to inspect the chimney the only thing they said was wrong was that it needed a liner because there isn't one at all... there is no clay or metal whatsoever. The chimney is external and doesn't even pass through the roof.

Look for a Certified Chimney Sweep, go to csia.org and punch in you zipcode to find one in your area. If you have questions about whether a particular bid is out of line, feel free to PM me, I can still look up prices and can tell you if it's a legit quote. Good luck.

Try Clean Sweep Chimney Service - (765) 342-2146 or Fire In The Hole - (812) 323-4666

At least one of those guys is one of the quotes I have and think he was trying to charge too much IMO it seems way simpler than what it is being made out to be and I clearly can see the prices in Menards and the like.

Last edited:

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    The Duratech is a Class A chimney. It is made to install a stand alone woodstove without an existing chimney. A fireplace insert is a wood stove that is made to be pushed into an open fireplace. They can be installed 3 ways. Per code (which may or may not be applicable in your area, but is best practice) when I was doing this a fireplace insert needed a connector pipe from the top of the unit, through the fireplace smoke chamber, to the bottom of the flue. Generally, they are just pushed into the fireplace, which allows the smoke to cool and form creosote in the smoke chamber and flue. The best way, and the easiest to clean, is an insulated chimney liner from the top of the insert to the top of the chimney. 18-20 ft is probably around a $2500 job (again, it's been a few years, just a guess without seeing anything). It is an all day job, and you are paying for them for their expertise, as well as covering their overhead. Now if they are asking 5-6 grand, they are way off base for a ranch house. Hope this helps.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have a woodstove in my fireplace,and put in plain black steel stovepipe as a liner. The house is 60 yrs old flus, chimney/fireplace had been used regularly. I put the pipe in from the bottom, shoved a piece up the chimney,attached 2nd pc. w/stainless screws,shoved the pipe up, added 3rd pc,install screws, continue till reaching top. Added a flue cap,which involved climbing up top,but all in all, pretty cheap,and done in 3-4 hrs. Been going strong 7 yrs. now.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom