• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    At some point, there is a price point that become absurd. To create a prosthetic knee, it costs us about 400-600$, which includes materials and labor. This knee has some insane tolerances and is top tier material. I can understand where people are coming from with buying quality gear, but is that laser, red dot, scope, or trigger mod really worth 500-900?
    Asking the question again implies you are not happy others are not telling you what you want to hear.

So your company could make pot metal knee for $50? They could make a literal killing on Amazon.

Do you think a quality optic is not built to insane tolerance?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do not spend a lot of time on the range and maybe I am missing something, but I have put a lot of rounds down range and I rarely run into issues. People tell me not to go with a cheaper gun because it is prone to jamming. People tell me cheap optics do not hold zero. Or, that expensive gear is totally worth it. Well, I shoot a lot of cheap guns and I have never had a gun jam on me. I have used cheap optics and they hold zero through rough and tumble situation and I have yet to have a battery run out on me. And, I have both airsoft and military grade equipment and sometimes airsoft gear works and feels just as nice for a fraction of the price. I have the occasional bad round, but that is the extent of my issues. Maybe I am just extremely lucky. So, with my history of smooth operation, I have a hard time justifying dumping money into every little accessory. I guess I will need to borrow some friends gear to compare the quality, but I do not think I can just accept the "Just spend a crap load of money on something because price ensures quality" mindset. Unless someone can drop the blueprints for a Cheap and Expensive optic so I can see for myself what the difference in price is getting me.
    Finally got the answer you wanted, even if you had to post it yourself. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    Here's what I've seen and experienced - the Amazon Special is an airsoft optic (a good portion of the time). Holosun and SIG are the lowest end of what's acceptable. Monstrum can get a little pass as their magnifiers are great and they make good options for CHEAP prism optics. Most of it is night vision performance it seems. A $120 SIG Romeo 5 will suck against an $800 Aimpoint T2 or a $650 Eotech. Are you using nods? Are you using a gun for day or night, or both? A lot of it comes from necessity. Holosuns work well enough and they don't usually have any problems. I don't think an Aimpoint is necessary for a "bump in the night" gun. But the mystery meat Amazon optics have a reputation of rapid disassembly when shooting with anything larger than .22cal. So, my two cents.

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    Wait a minute, let us go back a few of your posts.
    I wasn't aware that HK built cheap firearms.. LOL

Post #40
    I do not spend a lot of time on the range and maybe I am missing something, but I have put a lot of rounds down range and I rarely run into issues. People tell me not to go with a cheaper gun because it is prone to jamming. People tell me cheap optics do not hold zero. Or, that expensive gear is totally worth it. Well, I shoot a lot of cheap guns and I have never had a gun jam on me. I have used cheap optics and they hold zero through rough and tumble situation and I have yet to have a battery run out on me. And, I have both airsoft and military grade equipment and sometimes airsoft gear works and feels just as nice for a fraction of the price. I have the occasional bad round, but that is the extent of my issues. Maybe I am just extremely lucky. So, with my history of smooth operation, I have a hard time justifying dumping money into every little accessory. I guess I will need to borrow some friends gear to compare the quality, but I do not think I can just accept the "Just spend a crap load of money on something because price ensures quality" mindset. Unless someone can drop the blueprints for a Cheap and Expensive optic so I can see for myself what the difference in price is getting me.
    I shoot cheap guns but I do not solely own cheap guns. I have and enjoy cheap guns as well as expensive guns. A cheap reliable gun would make a better candidate for a shower gun than an expensive work of art, hahaha

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    When I can't afford the good stuff new, I find the good stuff used or on sale. I don't buy cheap new stuff. Even if it's just a range toy, if it failed I would be grumpy. I bought one cheap eotech on eBay they was mis-advertised, it was a knockoff, and it went in the trash before I even mounted it.
    You didn't return it? it just went straight to the trash?

jjohnson878

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    you buy cheap, you get cheap! i dont think the question should be "is the cheap stuff crap" but more like "do i need something expensive". ive always been fascinated by eotech holo's and never having the chance to use one romanticized the idea of owning one for me to the point where 900$ seemed reasonable UNTIL I USED A REAL ONE and found that a 200$ red dot that held zero did the same job for 700$ less was a much better value to me as a hobby shooter that goes to the range to shoot paper once a week. if youre asking is the amazon red dot worth it ill say no, but there are plenty of reputable brands that have budget entry level sights that will more than do the job for 150-300$. there absolutely is a balance of price to performance, im not saying get the absolute cheapest you can find, but you PROBABLY dont need the best either. im sure on a duty gun where you NEED reliability, the price tag would be worth it for sure, but does your application warrant the premium price tag which is the question i think is more appropriate

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Quality definitely matters. Once you get to a certain point the law of diminishing returns applies. It does NOT apply at a $100 Amazon optic. It MIGHT apply for someone going from a 1500 optic (vortex razor gen 2) to a 3000 optic (vortex gen 3). Depends on the use.

BravoOneFour

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    kokomo
    You get what you pay for. They may look the same out of the box, but a cheap Chinese amazon special red dot will not stand up to heavy use like an aimpoint.

Staying strictly on the subject of red dots, you have to consider things like water proofing, glass quality, light transmission, glass tint, power settings, NOD capability, quality of the factory mount, general durability and more.
    Just because they look the same and work on flat range when bench shooting at the local DNR range does not meant it's going to survive with somebody that trains hard and expects their gear to keep up.

How many cheap dots can survive a house fire or literally being blown up in combat and still function like an Eotech? lol IMG_5885.jpeg

Attachments

• IEA_Mil_Optics_Eotech_verbrannt_Absehen.jpg
      IEA_Mil_Optics_Eotech_verbrannt_Absehen.jpg
      145.5 KB · Views: 4
    Top Bottom